Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated Server vs BackBlaze B2 for static file hosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated Server vs BackBlaze B2 for static file hosting

Hello everyone,
I have a 6Euro server from OneProvider(online.net) with a slow atom processor and 1TB of HDD.I currently have some performance issues(most images load fine but some take 20s even though they are the same size) and i was thinking if it was worth it to switch to BackBlaze B2 and cloudflare for my image hosting.

Comments

• akhfaakhfa Member
    edited April 2020

It is worth. The alternative is s3 + cloudfront (with bandwidth pricing)

My opinion of course :)

• isunbejoisunbejo Member
    edited April 2020

@celicaraptor said:
    Hello everyone,
    I have a 6Euro server from OneProvider(online.net) with a slow atom processor and 1TB of HDD.I currently have some performance issues(most images load fine but some take 20s even though they are the same size) and i was thinking if it was worth it to switch to BackBlaze B2 and cloudflare for my image hosting.

Bottleneck on seeking image on HDD with million files inodes, change to SSD/NVME or switch to CDN images

• cazrzcazrz Member

Are you running NGINX only?

• @cazrz said:
    Are you running NGINX only?

Yes,NGINX only.

• Bottleneck on seeking image on HDD with million files inodes, change to SSD/NVME or switch to CDN images

It could be but i just have 1500 images,that's not a lot.Maybe the HDD is trash

• @akhfa said:
    It is worth. The alternative is s3 + cloudfront (with bandwidth pricing)

My opinion of course :)

Thank you for your opinion

• cazrzcazrz Member

That's weird, I have a small vps storage with 2 million small images in a single folder. No hiccup. But not using oneprovider. And it is even using NGINX+Apache.

Try to monitor the network/latency/ping/traceroute.

Your issue is very common to many providers offering big storage servers or VPS.

Backblaze is not for serving static files. However they have this partnership with Cloudflare now, which gives you free bandwidth. But I still dont use it for image hosting.

I suggest getting buyvm slice+slab or letbox then use bunnycdn.

Your server only have one(1) disk/HDD? If so then I really suggest to just get a VPS storage.

• @celicaraptor said:

Bottleneck on seeking image on HDD with million files inodes, change to SSD/NVME or switch to CDN images

It could be but i just have 1500 images,that's not a lot.Maybe the HDD is trash

1500 images only you can go with ssd or nvme ssd vps.

• I just migrated to Backblaze and Cloudflare.Seems to work great so far.