Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
Uncertainty about Hetzner online
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Uncertainty about Hetzner online

samapbizsamapbiz Member

Hello guys,

I am an existing Hetzner customer and currently own a dedicated server for backup.

I am running a shared hosting service with a lot of websites and users (thousands). I use servers from Reliablesite for the shared hosting. I'm looking at expanding the number of servers and Hetzner's offers fit perfectly.

However, I have read several complaints about Hetzner shutting down servers sometimes without warning or explanation and even in some cases hard disks getting confiscated by city authorities.

Since it's shared hosting, sometimes some clients host fake websites related to banks and others. I have a strict policy in place to ward of abusive clients and websites. I mostly go through orders personally and refuse orders that I deem suspicious. Some clients are still able to sneak some fraudulent websites sometimes which I take down immediately they are detected or reported. I always act promptly on abuse reports.

I would like to know whether anybody uses(d) Hetzner servers for shared hosting and if they have experienced any issues caused by websites hosted on the shared server?

Would you recommend using Hetzner servers for a shared hosting business?

I am aware that Hetzner doesn't disclose reasons for shutting down servers.

Thanks

Comments

  • deankdeank Member, Troll

    The end is nigh.

    I have not created a single thread. Verify it if you dare.

  • experttechitexperttechit Member, Provider

    To be honest, since you are using it for backup services only, no one should see whats on the drives, so you should be OK, but it may be worth having another location for backup just incase.

  • stefemanstefeman Member
    edited April 28

    for Developement yes, for production, yes. For reselling? Never. Go to OVH for peace of mind if its reselling. Hetzner is one of the worst and most whimsical hosts when it comes to abuse handling. You can never predict what they will do or not do.

    If you don't have 100% control over all the content in the server, at all times, you should NOT use hetzner, ever. theres no room for misstakes with them.

    Thanked by 2samapbiz donko
  • Just go with ovh, you won't have to worry about any of that shit.

  • @experttechit said:
    To be honest, since you are using it for backup services only, no one should see whats on the drives, so you should be OK, but it may be worth having another location for backup just incase.

    I was looking at getting other servers for moving the shared accounts to

  • @stefeman said:
    for Developement yes, for production, yes. For reselling? Never. Go to OVH for peace of mind if its reselling. Hetzner is one of the worst and most whimsical hosts when it comes to abuse handling. You can never predict what they will do or not do.

    If you don't have 100% control over all the content in the server, at all times, you should NOT use hetzner, ever. theres no room for misstakes with them.

    Thanks for your comment. I don't have 100% control over the content hosted by clients.

  • @AlexJones said:
    Just go with ovh, you won't have to worry about any of that shit.

    Thanks for the suggestion

  • Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Provider

    Doesn't @MikePT use Hetzner for shared hosting? Perhaps they can advise on experience with them or how they handle it?

    Thanked by 2MikePT Ympker
  • MikePTMikePT Member, Provider

    @Mr_Tom said:
    Doesn't @MikePT use Hetzner for shared hosting? Perhaps they can advise on experience with them or how they handle it?

    I do, yep.

    Thanked by 1Ympker
  • MikePTMikePT Member, Provider

    @samapbiz said:
    Hello guys,

    I am an existing Hetzner customer and currently own a dedicated server for backup.

    I am running a shared hosting service with a lot of websites and users (thousands). I use servers from Reliablesite for the shared hosting. I'm looking at expanding the number of servers and Hetzner's offers fit perfectly.

    However, I have read several complaints about Hetzner shutting down servers sometimes without warning or explanation and even in some cases hard disks getting confiscated by city authorities.

    Since it's shared hosting, sometimes some clients host fake websites related to banks and others. I have a strict policy in place to ward of abusive clients and websites. I mostly go through orders personally and refuse orders that I deem suspicious. Some clients are still able to sneak some fraudulent websites sometimes which I take down immediately they are detected or reported. I always act promptly on abuse reports.

    I would like to know whether anybody uses(d) Hetzner servers for shared hosting and if they have experienced any issues caused by websites hosted on the shared server?

    Would you recommend using Hetzner servers for a shared hosting business?

    I am aware that Hetzner doesn't disclose reasons for shutting down servers.

    Thanks

    We had, I believe, 2 abuse reports which we acted upon in less than 6 hours. They never deactivated any of our servers.

    Same applies to Reliablesite.

    We do have servers in Reliablesite and Hetzner. :)

  • FalzoFalzo Member

    stefeman said: Hetzner is one of the worst and most whimsical hosts when it comes to abuse handling. You can never predict what they will do or not do.

    sorry, but I call this bs. you can very well predict their behaviour. of course they might get annoyed at some point, if you don't follow up each and every case and still cause a lot of abuse complaints in the first place.

    there are tons of providers reselling shared hosting or vservers out of hetzner. just take a look at the offers section here on LET...

    I have to agree though, if your services attract a lot of complaints/abuse message for whatever reason and you don't want to spent time dealing with the aftermath your services offered caused - then hetzner is not for you.

    MikePT said: We had, I believe, 2 abuse reports which we acted upon in less than 6 hours. They never deactivated any of our servers.

    this!

    most recommended Provider: First-Root KVM Power-Edition /w SSD
    UltraVPS.eu KVM in US/UK/NL/DE: 15% off first 6 month | Netcup VPS/rootDS - 5€ off: 36nc15279180197 (ref)

  • @MikePT said:

    We had, I believe, 2 abuse reports which we acted upon in less than 6 hours. They never deactivated any of our servers.

    Same applies to Reliablesite.

    We do have servers in Reliablesite and Hetzner. :)

    That's good to know. Thanks

  • NyrNyr Member
    edited April 28

    samapbiz said: However, I have read several complaints about Hetzner shutting down servers sometimes without warning or explanation and even in some cases hard disks getting confiscated by city authorities.

    Hetzner deals with abuse like any normal provider and will act reasonably. They are not abuse tolerant, but they will understand that you are providing services for third parties and give you time to react except in very dire circumstances.

    With that said, German law enforcement is by far the most heavy handed of Western Europe with this kind of stuff and that affects any German provider. Germany also has some of the most restrictive laws in Europe which can affect content published by your customers, so when publishing third party content Germany as a country is not the best choice in my opinion.

    The other big market in the region is The Netherlands which doesn't have this kind of issues with their law enforcement, Dutch providers tend to be a little bit more relaxed and less bureaucratic in general.

    The United Kingdom or the other market with dirt-cheap providers, France, also don't have those German specific issues.

  • Thank you all for the comments. It will help me to make the final decision.

  • momkinmomkin Member
    edited April 28

    Hetzner abuse = run away !!!

    Any kid who has your server IP will send a fake abuse and you will be asked to leave :smile:

    They don't check or confirm the abuse is legit they simply say please leave !

  • @momkin When did this happen? Between your delivery issues and network maintenance issues and I think another issue, seems like you have many issues

    Nothing profound to say, so I'm on LET.

  • I am using Hetzner for two years and providing shared hosting services. I did not find any problem as i also suspend once abuse is reported.

    Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • @AlexJones said:
    Just go with ovh, you won't have to worry about any of that shit.

    Really? OVH fo not process abuse at all? Of any kind? Spam? Ddos?

  • BopieBopie Member

    @momkin said:
    Hetzner abuse = run away !!!

    Any kid who has your server IP will send a fake abuse and you will be asked to leave :smile:

    They don't check or confirm the abuse is legit they simply say please leave !

    Do you have some sort of vendetta against them ...

    Anyway OP As others I have been with hetzner for many years for personal and previous hosting companies I have set up, Yes they can be strict however they have never restricted my servers without good reason to protect there own network, For example, I had a VPS that had slipped my detections and was sending attacks out for a few hours, Hetzner had simply nulled that single IP though and not the server in general.

    They will, however, deactivate your server if you ignore there abuse complaints but that being said there have been times it's taken me a day to pick up the emails and respond and they have never had an issue with me :)

    Thanked by 2Falzo Hetzner_OL

    When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child, but when I became a man, I put away childish things

  • user54321user54321 Member
    edited April 30

    @Bopie said:

    @momkin said:
    Hetzner abuse = run away !!!

    Any kid who has your server IP will send a fake abuse and you will be asked to leave :smile:

    They don't check or confirm the abuse is legit they simply say please leave !

    Do you have some sort of vendetta against them ...

    Than there must be a lot of people that have a vendetta against them. Their abuse team is a mess sometimes they do nothing and sometimes they act like they are complete newbies in the business and terminate you for nothing.

    Run a Tor exit only allow port 443 and 80 and you will see that they will terminate you in no time for sending spam, even though you can't directly speak with mailservers or wordpress bruteforcing, which should terminate who ever does leave his wordpress unprotected in the internet and not the Tor relay.

    You only know how professional a company acts if shit hits the fan, what they promise before is worthless.

  • sibapersibaper Member

    Tor Exit, did they allow that on their ToS?

    We only support unsupported OS!

  • BopieBopie Member

    @user54321 said:

    @Bopie said:

    @momkin said:
    Hetzner abuse = run away !!!

    Any kid who has your server IP will send a fake abuse and you will be asked to leave :smile:

    They don't check or confirm the abuse is legit they simply say please leave !

    Do you have some sort of vendetta against them ...

    Than there must be a lot of people that have a vendetta against them. Their abuse team is a mess sometimes they do nothing and sometimes they act like they are complete newbies in the business and terminate you for nothing.

    Run a Tor exit only allow port 443 and 80 and you will see that they will terminate you in no time for sending spam, even though you can't directly speak with mailservers or wordpress bruteforcing, which should terminate who ever does leave his wordpress unprotected in the internet and not the Tor relay.

    You only know how professional a company acts if shit hits the fan, what they promise before is worthless.

    The thing is that none of my companies ever allowed tor nodes unless it was on our own network ... I would never run a tor node on a network I don't own.

    When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child, but when I became a man, I put away childish things

  • user54321user54321 Member

    why should I don't allow Tor nodes? They are legal in every normal jurisdiction, Hetzner also doesn't forbid them, you do help a project which helps millions of people in countrys which censor their internet to get uncensored information. So nothing speaks against Tor from my side.

  • stefemanstefeman Member
    edited May 4

    @user54321 said:
    why should I don't allow Tor nodes? They are legal in every normal jurisdiction, Hetzner also doesn't forbid them, you do help a project which helps millions of people in countrys which censor their internet to get uncensored information. So nothing speaks against Tor from my side.

    Its a pedonet/crimenet/drugnet nowdays rather than freedom of speech, journalism and uncensored knowledge.

    Still, for countries in places like Iran and China, its a valuable tool for legal usage and browsing.

    Its also abused to the max by bots and humans alike.. The IPs get dirty super fast so its no surprise many hosts bans for it even though they don't outright disallow it in their ToS.

    Thanked by 2Falzo Scott15
  • user54321user54321 Member

    @stefeman said:
    Its a pedonet/crimenet/drugnet nowdays rather than freedom of speech, journalism and uncensored knowledge.

    the biggest hidden service that does exist is facebook, so facebook is a pedonet/crimenet/drugnet nowdays?

    @stefeman said:
    Its also abused to the max by bots and humans alike.. The IPs get dirty super fast so its no surprise many hosts bans for it even though they don't outright disallow it in their ToS.

    What did you expect? There do exit millions of users every day from a few hundred IPs, one bot under that million of users is enough to get the IP on blacklists.

    I'm sorry but you did not inform yourself at all about Tor it seems. Why do you just blindly shoot against a project which does what it was designed to do very good and that is to circumvent censorship and allow user to stay private. Sadly most media outlets do the same without any basis for their claims.

  • JordJord Moderator, Provider

    Hetzner is prem, don't do anything bad and you'll be fine. I've been using them for over 6 years with no issues what so ever. They've been fantastic.

    Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL

    BillingServ - Easy, simple, and hassle-free online invoicing solution. Contact us today.
    BaseServ Certified to ISO/IEC 27001:2013

  • king8654king8654 Member

    Considering tor relay > @user54321 said:

    why should I don't allow Tor nodes? They are legal in every normal jurisdiction, Hetzner also doesn't forbid them, you do help a project which helps millions of people in countrys which censor their internet to get uncensored information. So nothing speaks against Tor from my side.

    thing is, this isnt your side. help millions, make millions, just dont use hetzner. your better off with random vps provider for this sort of venture, ffs why not hostsolutions or buyvm

Sign In or Register to comment.