Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for Hong Kong (HK) NAT VPS with Wireguard/Openvpn access. Willing to pay $5-10/month
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for Hong Kong (HK) NAT VPS with Wireguard/Openvpn access. Willing to pay $5-10/month

I need a HK ip vpn access or just a VPS that works with the hong kong local streaming TV. Mainly used for in house for grand parents. I bought a HK only accessible TV box that works only within the country. None of the commercial VPN's work (torguard, wireshark, etc) as they all get detected, I tried it all. The only NAT VPS that worked was from tele-asia.net but their service isn't working anymore.

Comments

• hailinghailing Member
    edited April 2020

you can check website in chinese
    https://www.cheapnat.com/
    but it requires alipay to pay the order.

• brycebryce Member

Check hosthongkong.net
    @randvegeta does a very good job.

Thanked by 1randvegeta
  • NDTNNDTN Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

You can take a look at our HK VPS: https://greencloudvps.com/hong-kong-ssd-kvm-vps.php
    Use the coupon LET to get 10% off recurring. We have NVMePromoAPAC-1 promo running too: https://greenkvm.com

• @bryce said:
    Check hosthongkong.net

Their NAT VPS is by far the slowest I've ever used in terms of CPU, disk and network speed:

Processor:    Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1240 v3 @ 3.40GHz
    CPU cores:    1
    Frequency:    3392.146 MHz
    RAM:          231Mi
    Swap:         254Mi
    Kernel:       Linux 4.19.0-6-amd64 x86_64

Disks:
    sda      5G  HDD

CPU: SHA256-hashing 500 MB
        30.090 seconds
    CPU: bzip2-compressing 500 MB
        48.200 seconds
    CPU: AES-encrypting 500 MB
        14.499 seconds

ioping: seek rate
        min/avg/max/mdev = 327.0 us / 3.66 ms / 91.5 ms / 16.6 ms
    ioping: sequential read speed
        generated 409 requests in 5.00 s, 102.2 MiB, 81 iops, 20.4 MiB/s

dd: sequential write speed
        1st run:    19.93 MiB/s
        2nd run:    20.03 MiB/s
        3rd run:    19.74 MiB/s
        average:    19.90 MiB/s

IPv4 speedtests
        your IPv4:    223.17.233.xxxx

Cachefly CDN:         1.94 MiB/s
        Leaseweb (NL):        1.29 MiB/s
        Softlayer DAL (US):   1.20 MiB/s
        Online.net (FR):      1.30 MiB/s
        OVH BHS (CA):         1.07 MiB/s

• IPv4 speedtests

Subhanallah

• You can try https://www.gigsgigscloud.com/asia-hongkong-ssd-vps-global-kvm/ (I've never personally used them)

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@Dwayne said:

@bryce said:
    Check hosthongkong.net

Their NAT VPS is by far the slowest I've ever used in terms of CPU, disk and network speed:

Processor:    Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1240 v3 @ 3.40GHz
    CPU cores:    1
    Frequency:    3392.146 MHz
    RAM:          231Mi
    Swap:         254Mi
    Kernel:       Linux 4.19.0-6-amd64 x86_64

Disks:
    sda      5G  HDD

CPU: SHA256-hashing 500 MB
        30.090 seconds
    CPU: bzip2-compressing 500 MB
        48.200 seconds
    CPU: AES-encrypting 500 MB
        14.499 seconds

ioping: seek rate
        min/avg/max/mdev = 327.0 us / 3.66 ms / 91.5 ms / 16.6 ms
    ioping: sequential read speed
        generated 409 requests in 5.00 s, 102.2 MiB, 81 iops, 20.4 MiB/s

dd: sequential write speed
        1st run:    19.93 MiB/s
        2nd run:    20.03 MiB/s
        3rd run:    19.74 MiB/s
        average:    19.90 MiB/s

IPv4 speedtests

What do you expect for a VPS that costs $8/yr in HK? It has some the highest bandwidth, real estate and labour costs in the world.

CPU/Disk/Network is capped. Disk at 20MB/s to prevent IO issues. So at least on disk youre getting 100% of available capacity.

• Try aws hong kong region

• tjol5tjol5 Member
    edited May 2020

@randvegeta said:

What do you expect for a VPS that costs $8/yr in HK? It has some the highest bandwidth, real estate and labour costs in the world.

CPU/Disk/Network is capped. Disk at 20MB/s to prevent IO issues. So at least on disk youre getting 100% of available capacity.

looks like it won't be a good fit for OP anyways

shouldn't complain if the NAT VPS description is explicit about resources (and target audience being VPN/tunnel for non-video web-browsing). maybe the non-NAT vps is better?

https://www.hosthongkong.net/?page=NAT-VPS

Host Hong Kong's NAT KVM VPS plans have some limitations imposed. Hard limitations include disk I/O (20MB/s), OS Reinstallation (2 times per month), Network Bandwidth (50Mbit/s) and other restrictions designed to curtail the possibility for any one VPS to adversely affect an entire node.

The limitations should not be confused with a minimal level of service. As they are hard limits, it is actually the maximum level of perfromance that can be achieved. It is likely that the server will perform below these limits as the 'fair' usage of resources by all the VMs on the node would mean something like 1MB/s of disk I/O and 400Kbit/s of network bandwidth.

The most common use for the NAT-VPS is to use as a VPN / Tunnel. This is an ideal application for the NAT-VPS, but one must be weary of the limitations of a tiny VPS on a shared network. Web browsing and accessing E-Mail are generally fine, but live media streaming may be somewhat ambitious. Do not expect to be able to use the service for online streaming services such as Netflix or Youtube. For accessing websites like Facebook and Google, this should be fine.

Thanked by 1randvegeta

@tjol5 said:

@randvegeta said:

looks like it won't be a good fit for OP anyways

shouldn't complain if the NAT VPS description is explicit about resources (and target audience being VPN/tunnel for non-video web-browsing). maybe the non-NAT vps is better?

https://www.hosthongkong.net/?page=NAT-VPS

Host Hong Kong's NAT KVM VPS plans have some limitations imposed. Hard limitations include disk I/O (20MB/s), OS Reinstallation (2 times per month), Network Bandwidth (50Mbit/s) and other restrictions designed to curtail the possibility for any one VPS to adversely affect an entire node.

The limitations should not be confused with a minimal level of service. As they are hard limits, it is actually the maximum level of perfromance that can be achieved. It is likely that the server will perform below these limits as the 'fair' usage of resources by all the VMs on the node would mean something like 1MB/s of disk I/O and 400Kbit/s of network bandwidth.

The most common use for the NAT-VPS is to use as a VPN / Tunnel. This is an ideal application for the NAT-VPS, but one must be weary of the limitations of a tiny VPS on a shared network. Web browsing and accessing E-Mail are generally fine, but live media streaming may be somewhat ambitious. Do not expect to be able to use the service for online streaming services such as Netflix or Youtube. For accessing websites like Facebook and Google, this should be fine.

This is most certainly not suitable for the OP, but at the same time, our fee for our NAT VPS is only 1/15 the budget of the OP.

For $10/month, it's basically just a normal VPS behind a 'broadband' IP, which is doable.

• DwayneDwayne Member

@randvegeta said:

Why do I get the feeling that I should be grateful to you for providing this service?

Why do you advertise SSDs here and especially on your order page and create false hopes when the resulting performance bears no resemblance to an SSD. I think that's deceptive and you should remove any references to SSDs.

What about those incessant down times in February/March? Did I miss/not see any announcements such as a simple one-liner in your client area or elsewhere?

And then everything takes ages because the CPU is slowed to a crawl (with steal times close to 90%). I think that's just too excessive and you can do better.

If it's really such a bother to provide this service that you feel obliged to put a statement on your website basically saying "Give me money but don't expect anything in return", then I think you should stop this little venture altogether and set up a donation box for UNICEF. I think that's time and money better spent for all parties involved.

@Dwayne said:

@randvegeta said:

Why do I get the feeling that I should be grateful to you for providing this service?

Why do you advertise SSDs here and especially on your order page and create false hopes when the resulting performance bears no resemblance to an SSD. I think that's deceptive and you should remove any references to SSDs.

What about those incessant down times in February/March? Did I miss/not see any announcements such as a simple one-liner in your client area or elsewhere?

And then everything takes ages because the CPU is slowed to a crawl (with steal times close to 90%). I think that's just too excessive and you can do better.

If it's really such a bother to provide this service that you feel obliged to put a statement on your website basically saying "Give me money but don't expect anything in return", then I think you should stop this little venture altogether and set up a donation box for UNICEF. I think that's time and money better spent for all parties involved.

Having SSDs is better for seek times. It's not just about throughput. So it matters and does make a difference,

There was no downtime in Feb/Mar. But now I am assuming you are based in China, and so the IPs were blocked by the GFW. Not much we can do about that.

I'm not aware of the CPUs being overloaded for any extended period. The CAPs in place prevent the serves from being overloaded. The trade off is that no VM is particularly fast. That does not mean the VMs are not useful though. It's a bit like having a Raspberry Pi as a server. You can do very basic things with it. Just don't expect any heavy lifting. Just as you wouldn't with a Pi.

You dont have to be grateful. If the service doesnt fit your needs, then don't use or buy it. Just align your expectations with reality. Our NAT VPS description I think should clear up any ambiguity on that front. If you assume youll get more than 20MB/s of disk IO when it is clearly stated otherwise, then I'm not sure what more we can do about that.