Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
Got a dedi, now what?????
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Got a dedi, now what?????

I grabbed a dedi from online.net..cheap one :p
now what?? Im completely newbie to this, can anyone lead me to the right way?? on what I need to do now??

Sorry for my bad English

Comments

• Care to explain your purpose of purchasing a server?

• lukesUbuntulukesUbuntu Member
    edited November 2013

what were your plans on using your server? usually im installing nginx, virtualmin or webmin depending on my needs. then doing postfix installs etc etc.

What were you wanting to use your server for?

Fullstack dev Fb | Github

Fan of VPSDime & BuyVM & now QuickPacket

• @ultimatehostings said:
    Care to explain your purpose of purchasing a server?

I just bought it to playing around.. to gain experience before I seriously move to dedi..

Sorry for my bad English

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

1) secure your server
    http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-security.html

2) think once again why you ordered server in first place, if you still have no answer to that question, i would suggest that you cancel server

Thanked by 1lukesUbuntu

Unmetered servers starting from $12.00 USD p/m. Xeon® E-2134 for $50.00 p/m ||| Xeon® Silver 4110 for $80.00 p/m
    Live server stock ||| Feel free to contact me for custom deal.

• @lukesUbuntu said:
    what were your plans on using your server? usually im installing nginx, virtualmin or webmin depending on my needs. then doing postfix installs etc etc.

What were you wanting to use your server for?

I am love to install virtualmin.. but what is the 1st step.. I install ubuntu with ssh access on the box.. is it right??

Sorry for my bad English

• @psycholyzern said:
    I just bought it to playing around.. to gain experience before I seriously move to dedi..

Install kloxo-mr xD a vpn too, maybe some voice stuff or games?

• LowEndCollectors disease now start infecting dedis....

I'm here to collect your heart

• To install virtualmin;

1) login to your server via ssh

2) wget http://software.virtualmin.com/gpl/scripts/install.sh

3) sh install.sh

• @drserver said:
    2) think once again why you ordered server in first place, if you still have no answer to that question, i would suggest that you cancel server

I dont have specific reason I bought it.. I just want to learn how to manage dedi..just to gain experiences.. is it wrong??

Sorry for my bad English

• @psycholyzern said:
    I am love to install virtualmin.. but what is the 1st step.. I install ubuntu with ssh access on the box.. is it right??

Works great with a fresh ubuntu/linux install just follow the steps here http://www.virtualmin.com/download.html

controlling multiple domains from a newbie side of things its good, i like the cluster features webmin has as well.

Fullstack dev Fb | Github

Fan of VPSDime & BuyVM & now QuickPacket

@psycholyzern said:
    I dont have specific reason I bought it.. I just want to learn how to manage dedi..just to gain experiences.. is it wrong??

ok, you have reason. to learn how to manage dedi...
    now start with security first, that is my suggestion.

Unmetered servers starting from $12.00 USD p/m. Xeon® E-2134 for $50.00 p/m ||| Xeon® Silver 4110 for $80.00 p/m

• @sc754 said:
    Install kloxo-mr xD a vpn too, maybe some voice stuff or games?

I dont really like kloxo.. maybe because the interface is little messed..

@DalComp said:
    LowEndCollectors disease now start infecting dedis....

:)

@ultimatehostings said:
    To install virtualmin;

3) sh install.sh

Just like that??

Sorry for my bad English

• @lukesUbuntu said:
    controlling multiple domains from a newbie side of things its good, i like the cluster features webmin has as well.

virtualmin is my 1st panel used when I bought my 1st vps.. I still love to use it until now.. if the installation on dedi is same like on vps, then I got no problem :)

Thanked by 1lukesUbuntu

Sorry for my bad English

• @drserver said:
    ok, you have reason. to learn how to manage dedi... now start with security first, that is my suggestion.

Im reading it now.. thanks :)

Sorry for my bad English

• hey, if I installed a software that need to reboot, can I use shutdown -r 0 via ssh???

Sorry for my bad English

• @psycholyzern said:
    hey, if I installed a software that need to reboot, can I use shutdown -r 0 via ssh???

just type reboot :)

• @psycholyzern said:
    hey, if I installed a software that need to reboot, can I use shutdown -r 0 via ssh???

Type

reboot

or

reboot now

No Bullcrap VPS Hosting
    McMyHost - http://mcmyhost.net

• If you want learn. Don't use any panel. For starter, study csf firewall configuration to harden your server. Close all unused port.

• @budi1413 said:
    If you want learn. Don't use any panel. For starter, study csf firewall configuration to harden your server. Close all unused port.

can I know, is it like a vps, I mean, the commands, how to navigate around, is it same like a vps?? I asked before on this forum and many said about complex things, proxmox, virtualization and more complex things.. I used csf before on my vps.. is it same on dedi?

Sorry for my bad English

• budi1413 said: Close all unused port.

Ports that aren't used aren't open, so you can't close them :)

I second your suggestion of no panel though....

edited November 2013

@ultimatehostings said:
    To install virtualmin;

3) sh install.sh

2.5) chmod 755 install.sh

• mcmyhostmcmyhost Member
    edited November 2013

@drserver said:
    2.5) chmod 755 install.ch

'File not Found'

No Bullcrap VPS Hosting
    McMyHost - http://mcmyhost.net

• @budi1413 said:
    Close all unused port.

why

Contractually bound by a verbal non-disclosure agreement

Sorry i have misstyped extension. It should be .sh. i will edit post above

• @drserver said:

Not needed when you run it with sh, you only need to chmod when you execute any shell script as ./script_name

• @sleddog said:

By default, there'll some unused port that will be open by csf.

@texteditor said:
    why

Not sure. But usually i will only open the port that i use. :D

• @psycholyzern said:
    can I know, is it like a vps, I mean, the commands, how to navigate around, is it same like a vps?? I asked before on this forum and many said about complex things, proxmox, virtualization and more complex things.. I used csf before on my vps.. is it same on dedi?

Yes, it is the same. :)

• budi1413 said: By default, there'll some unused port that will be open by csf.

I always thought csf was an interface to iptables. Didn't know it listened on ports.

Thanked by 1k0nsl
  • @sleddog said:
    I always thought csf was an interface to iptables. Didn't know it listened on ports.

Yeah csf is the easier way to manage iptables. :p

• Once you get it the way you want, if you have no other use. Donate cycles to the boinc project. Setting boinc-client up, monitoring and making it work can provide some useful Linux experience.

• I got hard time with ubuntu.. it is completely different from centos -_- I tried to install a seedbox but ended with problems.. I like centos more..

Sorry for my bad English

• @Zen said:

I am using centos for too long.. I got hard time to make me comfortable with ubuntu..
    btw, its not totally different. I just saying that to expressed my feeling :)
    what you said is correct, got different errors, different problems, thats why I like centos more..

Sorry for my bad English

• @psycholyzern said:
    what you said is correct, got different errors, different problems, thats why I like centos more..

Debian is also good, I don't use ubuntu only centos or debian

• @sc754 said:
    Debian is also good, I don't use ubuntu only centos or debian

ubuntu is more like debian right? I never use ubuntu before, I see some similarities between utbuntu and debian..
    btw, I reinstalled my dedi with centos, now, Im happy with it :)

Sorry for my bad English

• can I know, If I buy dedi from another provider, are they have panel like online.net have??
    where I can install, manage and reboot the server?

Sorry for my bad English

• @psycholyzern said:
    can I know, If I buy dedi from another provider, are they have panel like online.net have??

Most give that info when you order server, but if you are not sure, you will need to ask provider if they have that feature, not all providers have this, and with some that even depends on server line you have ordered.

• @psycholyzern said:
    can I know, If I buy dedi from another provider, are they have panel like online.net have??

Ovh is similar. Most providers don't offer a panel

C, Bash, Perl, Python, PHP, and JS hobbyist. VPS collector. Blog

• Running NMRiH Gameserver :D

• I also prefer CentOS over Ubuntu -- likely just because I'm used to it.

• emgemg Member
    edited November 2013

One thing that I learned recently is that dedicated server providers offer many different ways for you to externally manage a dedicated server. Many of their control panels are provider-developed. Some are primitive, and some are very sophisticated.

Some providers load your requested operating system, and you are on your own after that. You may be given a control panel that lets you power on and power off your VPS and that's it. If you misconfigure your VPS and cut off network access, you will have to open a ticket and ask the provider to help fix it or reload the OS. You may be required to pay a fee every time the provider gets involved.

On the other end of the spectrum, some dedicated server providers include a control panel that gives you many external features that you can control - load a new operating system without provider assistance, a separate serial console, etc. - many of the same features that we take for granted with most VPSs.

If you are thinking about signing up for a dedicated server, it pays to look carefully at the provider websites to see which control and management features they offer, in addition to the hardware and network specs.

(Caveat: I have no experience running a remote dedicated server. I did a little research to fulfill my curiosity about the tools that dedicated server providers offer, to learn how they differ from VPSs. Someday I may sign up for a dedicated server, but I have a long way to go, learning to secure and manage my VPSs first.)

• wow.. sounds hard to find a good dedicated server provider.. need to carefully understand what services they offered.. I will note it in my mind..
    to pay only for reloading OS sound so silly for newbie like me..hahaha

Sorry for my bad English

• Try something with minecraft perhaps.
    Some control panel,experience with spacebukkit, it's open source.

http://professionalxen.com/ <-I am no longer representative of PRO-XEN

• Try to get more IP's and set it up as a VPS server! And then host a website, mail server, and minecraft server. That's what I would do with a spare dedicated server.

Alex L
    BuyCPanel.com - Instant CPanel and VPS License Activations!
    Lowest-Priced External CPanel Licenses
    http://www.BuyCPanel.com

• yongchuan2502yongchuan2502 Member
    edited November 2013

Hey.do you consider http://www.buyaliyun.com/ the cheapest server is $16.we all support windows and linux.of course,if you know less about server or other,i think you can buy a cheaper to try so that you learn how to operate server.

china vps | china dedicated server | Buy ALIYUN
    the lowest price only$16.95.good service.

• @yongchuan2502 said:
    Hey.do you consider http://www.buyaliyun.com/ the cheapest server is $16.we all support windows and linux.of course,if you know less about server or other,i think you can buy a cheaper to try so that you learn how to operate server.

You shouldn't be posting your offers here, trying to do a self promotion.

• DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited November 2013

@yongchuan2502 said:
    Hey.do you consider

We're talking about dedicated servers, and you come and post your overpriced VPS offer.

C, Bash, Perl, Python, PHP, and JS hobbyist. VPS collector. Blog

• http://www.buyaliyun.com/ - no offense, but that color scheme of your site, literally hurt my eyes.

• @BuyCPanel_Kevin said:
    Try to get more IP's and set it up as a VPS server! And then host a website, mail server, and minecraft server. That's what I would do with a spare dedicated server.

That was what I thought.. but can I buy additional ip from online.net?? I cant even open a ticket with them

@yongchuan2502 said:

I am interested with vps from rare location.. but for 1mbps bandwidth, it reminds me with my own country, and it makes me hurt.. Im from malaysia and bandwidth here are expensive like hell.. -_-

Sorry for my bad English

• @BuyCPanel_Kevin said:
    Try to get more IP's and set it up as a VPS server! And then host a website, mail server, and minecraft server. That's what I would do with a spare dedicated server.

He doesn't even know how to setup his own webserver yet...

OP: learn fucking Linux before you buy a dedi, period.

• Install ProxMox VE on the dedicated so you can create virtual machines to experiment on without having to re-install your dedicated every time you mess up. You could also use Dome9 for firewall - works for me quite well.