Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want an IPv6 block that I can use on AWS BYOIP
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Want an IPv6 block that I can use on AWS BYOIP

Hi everyone,

I'm a bit new to all this, but really interested in networking. I want to get my own ipv6 block and announce it on aws. Want to use aws because they're the only provider close enough to me. ( gonna use it as a ipv6 tunnel for my home internet connection )

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/ec2-byoip.html
they mention only the following type is supported:
RIPE - "ALLOCATED PA", "LEGACY", and "ASSIGNED PI" allocation statuses

So what does that mean do I need a PA or a PI IPv6.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks,
Brenden

Comments

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

We can help with RIPE.

Note that these types of allocation are for v4, IPv6 differentiates between "ALLOCATED BY LIR" and "ALLOCATED BY RIR". We can help with "ALLOCATED BY LIR" and "ASSIGNED PI".

Thanked by 1BrendenCA
  • AlefAlef Member

Have you looked at AWS Bandwidth pricing? It's crazy at $0.09/GB outbound to the internet at most locations.

Thanked by 2maverickp rm_
  • dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

For IP (and ASN) registrations, most likely all active LIRs here on LET will gladly help you - including me. :)

You can also announce your own IPv6 subnet via free HE TunnelBroker service or any other BGP-capable VPS. bgp.services can give you an overview about available providers.

• @dfroe said:
    For IP (and ASN) registrations, most likely all active LIRs here on LET will gladly help you - including me. :)

You can also announce your own IPv6 subnet via free HE TunnelBroker service or any other BGP-capable VPS. bgp.services can give you an overview about available providers.

Hi, I have looked into the HE TunnelBroker service, but it looks like they just stopped offering BGP Tunnels for free.

• @BrendenCA said:

@dfroe said:

Hi, I have looked into the HE TunnelBroker service, but it looks like they just stopped offering BGP Tunnels for free.

Check https://nanokvm.net it is free here.

• @verjin said:

@BrendenCA said:

@dfroe said:

Check https://nanokvm.net it is free here.

Doesn't look like they offer bgp session.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Why AWS?

• SGrafSGraf Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2020

@BrendenCA said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ipv6/comments/g6v7b2/hurricane_electric_no_longer_offers_free_bgp/

Due to recent abuse activity, at this time we will no longer be offering the BGP tunnel
    option for free with tunnelbroker.net. You may inquire with [email protected] or call
    1-510-580-4190 for a quote for this commercial service, which is $500/month.
    Regular non-BGP tunnels will continue to be offered freely though this service.

Challenge Accepted regarding whether or not "we want your business" regarding IPv6 BGP tunnels.
    Hurricane Electric will give anybody that has their own ASN and IP address space
    from ARIN, RIPE, APNIC, LACNIC, or AFRNIC free colo (cabinet + power + internet) in
    our Fremont 2 data center subject to the following conditions:

And the terms are actually quite reasonable. So factually, it has just gotten better :)

Thanked by 1dfroe
  • dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

@BrendenCA said:

We all knew: The end is always neigh.
    That was a really nice and helpful service and it enabled network enthusiast a cheap/free way take part of "the internet" and learn a lot.
    Thanks to all those kiddies having fun breaking things...

@SGraf said:

Challenge Accepted regarding whether or not "we want your business" regarding IPv6 BGP tunnels.
    Hurricane Electric will give anybody that has their own ASN and IP address space
    from ARIN, RIPE, APNIC, LACNIC, or AFRNIC free colo (cabinet + power + internet) in
    our Fremont 2 data center subject to the following conditions:

And the terms are actually quite reasonable. So factually, it has just gotten better :)

Indeed, this doesn't sound bad. Except the fact that tunneling all my traffic from Frankfurt to Fremont doesn't sound like an improvement. :/ Meh, why can't they have another own facility offering free colo over here. :)