Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ecatel Gets Their Ass Handed To Them In Court
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ecatel Gets Their Ass Handed To Them In Court

DomainBopDomainBop Member
edited November 2013 in Providers

November 1st court decision. Ecatel gets hit with some hefty fines.

rough English translation:

The judge in The Hague ruled on November 1 that hosting provider Ecatel not acted promptly after notification to block.'s IP address illegal sites illegal One of the sites was after temporarily elsewhere to find again come back to the same IP address at Ecatel, shelter that is inconsistent with Ecatel's assertion that a recurring site gets a different IP address automatically.

The hosting provider should the two sites within 24 hours block on pain of a fine of EUR 2,500 and EUR 1,000 per violation per day (part) that the continuing violation up to a maximum of EUR 250,000.

Also, the hosting provider to pay the full costs, which are estimated on the basis of a simple IE interim measures indicated amount of EUR 6,000 by the court.

Dutch: http://anti-piracy.nl/nieuws.php?id=302
Longer Dutch article: http://www.ie-forum.nl/?//Hosting+provider+handelt+onrechtmatig+door+IP-adres+van+steeds+terugkerende+ebooks+inbreukmaker+niet+te+blokkeren////32079/

Thanked by 2DeletedUser rds100

Comments

• OMG, where the ecatel owners located now?

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited November 2013

@lankapartnerhost said:
    OMG, where the ecatel owners located now?

Some in Belarus and some in I don't remember where. I don't think they care much about this particular court order anyway :P

• That translation is crazy

Thanked by 1rds100
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

One step closer to angry mob setting their DC on fire. Hey just talking about giving them the anarchy they want...in the form of fire ;)

• Well it's a good step forward

• Liam said: Most of what ecatel hosts though, you will also find on OVH.

Like the ability to freely spoof source IP, a practical DDoS source heaven? I doubt it.

• rds100 said: Like the ability to freely spoof source IP, a practical DDoS source heaven? I doubt it.

Where there's a will there's a way.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @Liam said:
    This is why I used 'most' ;-) Ecatel obviously do it willingly, but OVH seem to turn a blind eye to a point as well (e.g. DoS). Normally when there is a DDoS attack, you will find a nice amount of OVH ip addresses in the mix.

agreed

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2013

@Liam said:
    This is why I used 'most' ;-) Ecatel obviously do it willingly, but OVH seem to turn a blind eye to a point as well (e.g. DoS). Normally when there is a DDoS attack, you will find a nice amount of OVH ip addresses in the mix.

Actually OVH used the DDoS excuse to kill legit customers because they were from the wrong country. But if they seem to be french, they probably get a blank cheque.
    As for the IPs in a DDoS, those are spoofed most of the time, so it does not matter which ones are in the mix.
    While Ecatel has been found guilty, it is not for the DDoS and spam, so dont be happy, those will be allowed to continue, only the copyright infringements and money stealing are considered crimes, DDoS, spam, those are rarely an issue for tribunals because they are big businesses and only benefit the big providers and their lists/hosting.