Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanilla Upgrade - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vanilla Upgrade

2»

Comments

• Not sure if just me but noticed let loading a lil slow sometimes today.

• @DrFallen said:
    Not sure if just me but noticed let loading a lil slow sometimes today.

Oh really? I've seen the same, really rarely but happened yeah, i was like "maybe it's just me". Other than this all run smoothly, thanks jbiloh!

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Cpu load has been going up recently because traffic has increased a lot thr last 60 days. Probably going to need to upgrade the instance that runs the compute side of LET. Will try to tweak on it some.

The good news is traffic is up substantially. Makes me feel like our progress is paying off.

Thanked by 1o_be_one

I've been watching CPU load the last 24 hours and everything looks fine.

I've also not noticed any further slowness. I've setup more detailed monitoring so I can keep an eye on it.

• For me the mobile theme was better before the upgrade. Now there is a white space on the right side. Previously, it fit to screen real well.

@timelapse said:
    For me the mobile theme was better before the upgrade. Now there is a white space on the right side. Previously, it fit to screen real well.

Show me a picture so I can investigate.

Thanked by 1timelapse
  • hostworldhostworld Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2020

@jbiloh said:

@timelapse said:
    For me the mobile theme was better before the upgrade. Now there is a white space on the right side. Previously, it fit to screen real well.

@jbiloh I had the same issue but it seems to have fixed itself now.

@timelapse It may have fixed itself after clearing cache etc, have you tried that? I haven’t changed phones or anything so that’s the only reason I can think it would’ve gone back to how it was.

Thanked by 1timelapse
  • imokimok Member

@jbiloh said:

@timelapse said:

This for me in Chrome. It's showing fine in Brave.

What I've noticed now is that every page loads fine, then it freezes for around 10 seconds, then it continues working smoothly. Any script running after page load?

Thanked by 1timelapse
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@imok said:
    What I've noticed now is that every page loads fine, then it freezes for around 10 seconds, then it continues working smoothly. Any script running after page load?

Thanks for reporting. My bad, I have just fixed the white space issue. But the 10 seconds freeze is quite weird and requires more information.

Thanked by 1timelapse
  • imokimok Member
    edited May 2020

Page loads. I can scroll for a second.

Then I can't do anything for around 10 seconds. No scroll, no click. But I can see your avatar is moving.

"Brave is not responding" alert appears. I click "continue" and keep browsing.

Then everything continues as usual until next page load.

It happens for me on mobile using Chrome and Brave with and without the ad blocker functionality.

edited May 2020

@imok said:
    Then I can't do anything for around 10 seconds. No scroll, no click. But I can see your avatar is moving.

That's weird, I just tested with Brave browser and is working nicely. There's also no scripts that is CPU intensive that was added (based on Performance profiling on Chrome)

Can you share your device information? (Like the model and OS), you can share via PM too

Edit: Not sure if related to this: https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/23283471

• BroscienceBroscience Member
    edited May 2020

Anyone please help me. I'm trying to install Vanilla but there is new version of Nginx - 1.17 instead of default 1.14 and there are no sites-enabled and sites-available dirs in /etc/nginx... but the guide says

sudo vim /etc/nginx/sites-available/vanilla.conf
    Populate the file with the below config.

server {

listen 80;
      server_name example.com;
      root /var/www/vanilla;
      index index.php;

location ~* /\.git { deny all; return 403; }
      location /build/ { deny all; return 403; }
      location /cache/ { deny all; return 403; }
      location /cgi-bin/ { deny all; return 403; }
      location /uploads/import/ { deny all; return 403; }
      location /conf/ { deny all; return 403; }
      location /tests/ { deny all; return 403; }
      location /vendor/ { deny all; return 403; }

location ~* ^/index\.php(/|$) {
        include snippets/fastcgi-php.conf;
        fastcgi_param SCRIPT_NAME /index.php;
        fastcgi_param SCRIPT_FILENAME $realpath_root/index.php;
        fastcgi_param X_REWRITE 1;
        fastcgi_pass unix:/var/run/php/php7.2-fpm.sock;
      }

location ~* \.php(/|$) {
        rewrite ^ /index.php$uri last;
      }

location / {
        try_files $uri $uri/ @vanilla;
      }

location @vanilla {
        rewrite ^ /index.php$uri last;
      }

}

Activate the new vanilla.conf configuration by linking the file to the sites-enabled directory.

sudo ln -s /etc/nginx/sites-available/vanilla.conf /etc/nginx/sites-enabled

How to solve this problem guys?
    Looks like nginx abandones these folders in the new version and I have no idea how to solve it...

• hzrhzr Member

/etc/nginx/conf.d/vanilla.conf

• @hzr said:

root@vps:~# nano /etc/nginx/conf.d/vanilla.conf
    root@vps:~# ln -s /etc/nginx/conf.d/vanilla.conf /etc/nginx/sites-enabled  
    ln: failed to create symbolic link '/etc/nginx/sites-enabled': File exists
    root@vps:~# ln -s /etc/nginx/conf.d/vanilla.conf
    root@vps:~# ln -s /etc/nginx/conf.d/vanilla.conf /etc/nginx/conf.d/default.conf
    ln: failed to create symbolic link '/etc/nginx/conf.d/default.conf': File exists
    root@vps:~#

Need semething to put in insteaf of /etc/nginx/sites-enabled
    What is it?

My site shows me a nginx page and that's it.

• hzrhzr Member

you don't nmeed to symlink anything. nginx loads all of conf.d/* by default.

• Unfortunately it's not working :( I tried almost all options...

• @FAT32 said:

@imok said:

Thanks for reporting. My bad, I have just fixed the white space issue. But the 10 seconds freeze is quite weird and requires more information.

Thank you it is indeed fixed!

Thanked by 1FAT32
  • @hzr said:

aren't those sites-enabled and sites-available apache only?

• hzrhzr Member
    edited May 2020

timelapse said: aren't those sites-enabled and sites-available apache only?

No. The default Ubuntu (and maybe Debian?) repo has sites-available symlinked into sites-enabled on nginx. (if you apt install nginx fresh)

The nginx mainline apt repos use conf.d (if you apt install nginx via http://nginx.org/en/linux_packages.html#Ubuntu)

@timelapse said:

@FAT32 said:

@imok said:

Thank you it is indeed fixed!

Are you still seeing a strange freeze issue?

• imokimok Member
    edited May 2020

Yes.

I'm connected to my phone. Note when I click Home and the page keeps loading (blue line).

Sorry it looks like the GIF cuts too fast. When the page finishes loading it responds to scroll event.

I've been trying to find what could be happeniing, but I got almost nothing. Only thing I know it does not happen when global.js request is blocked, so it can be that file or any script called after that.

@FAT32 any ideas on this?

• imokimok Member

The same is happening in the other green forum.

Thanked by 1FAT32

@imok said:
    The same is happening in the other green forum.

Thanks for noticing, would try to debug it when I can, can you click on Performance tab on the devtool, then click on the second icon from top left (start profiling and reload page) and screenshot? Thanks!