Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Debian 10 GRUB Installation Error (Free / Paid Help)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Debian 10 GRUB Installation Error (Free / Paid Help)

wa44io4wa44io4 Member

Hey There,

I'm a CentOS guy and almost never installed / used Debian on my servers. For few reason recently decided to switch to Debian 10.

I have got a server with 2x 512 GB NVMe and the issue I'm facing is is GRUB Installer step. I've created 3 partitions /boot, swap and / and configured Software RAID 0

When selecting any of the disk or, auto selection in GRUB installer step, it's showing fatal error. The boot method is set as LEGACY in BIOS so I didn't bother creating /boot/efi partition.

What should I do in this case?

Happy to pay if someone can come over Anydesk and solve this for me.

Thanks.

Comments

• Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited April 2020

Did you partition the disk in GPT or in MBR mode?

If in GPT mode, grub needs a tiny "Bios boot" partition ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS_boot_partition ). It can be smaller than 1MB in size, so you can easily fit it at the start of the disk - i.e. before the first "real" partition (/boot in your case).

Thanked by 2fLoo Falzo
  • @Shot2

I've created BIOS Boot partition outside of RAID and the installation has gone through without any error. However, upon the immediate reboot after installation the server goes directly to grub rescue mode saying that certain disk not found.

This is turning out to be more complicated than I thought :'(

ANy idea what it can be this time?

• CrabCrab Member

I don't think I've ever gotten NVMe disk booting with BIOS legacy mode. As NVMe is a PCIe device, they are not your 'regular boot devices' that traditional BIOS is able to utilize. You should be using UEFI for those.

Thanked by 1ViridWeb
  • @Crab said:
    I don't think I've ever gotten NVMe disk booting with BIOS legacy mode. As NVMe is a PCIe device, they are not your 'regular boot devices' that traditional BIOS is able to utilize. You should be using UEFI for those.

Yeah, I already tried UEFI and it worked smoothly.

Thanks anyway.