Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Location for Streaming Purposes
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Location for Streaming Purposes

xvixvi Member
edited April 2020 in Help

Hello!

Currently I have dedicated server in Netherlands, which I'm using for video streaming purposes. Unfortunately I'm not satisfied with the server and have to migrate to another. My friend sent my offer for dedicated server located in New York City Metro at very good price.

Also there are key difference in server's port between the two servers:
Netherlands server have 1GBps port
USA server have 10 GBps port

ping to netherlands server:
Pinging IP with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from IP: bytes=32 time=59ms TTL=54
Reply from IP: bytes=32 time=64ms TTL=54

ping to USA server:
Pinging IP with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from IP: bytes=32 time=124ms TTL=49
Reply from IP: bytes=32 time=129ms TTL=49

My question is is the location will affect the streaming service as my most users are from Europe?

Thank you!

Comments

• WSCallumWSCallum Member
    edited April 2020

Potentially yes, you're looking about double response time and when it comes to streaming it'll make quite a big difference. How does your streaming work exactly? is it 100% live? or runs with a delay?

If most are within EU I would try and stick with an EU location if possible.

• For both latency and (likely) pricing reasons you probably want to stick with the EU.

• hostworldhostworld Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2020

As others have said you’re better sticking to an EU location if you’re streaming. Do you know what your actual usage was?

• xvixvi Member
    edited April 2020

My video files are hosted on cloud, I'm not streaming any live videos. Also, I'm using cloudflare.

@hostworld, I have around 100TB bandwidth usage per month.