Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is everyone so obsessed with Hetzner? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why is everyone so obsessed with Hetzner?

Comments

• A while ago they allowed just 5 IPs for a dedicated server, don't know if that changed now.

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

tr1cky said: Unfortunately I'm talking about the current situation, I made the tests about a week ago.

Try writing a support ticket to our networking team. Share your tests with them and perhaps they'll have some insights for you. They might also ask you to give them some additional information. --Katie

Thanked by 1tr1cky

isixhost said: A while ago they allowed just 5 IPs for a dedicated server, don't know if that changed now.

This is still true. If you need to, you can order an additional subnet on Robot: https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/IP-Adressen/en (However, I hate to admit that I am not sure if you can order this directly on Robot or if you need to request this in a support ticket.) If you can't find it on Robot, one of our support team members will help you. :) --Katie

• @angstrom said:

@p50 said:

@CConner said:

p50 said: I had crucial data, and I do mean CRUCIAL (family photos, etc.), saved on a Hetzner storage box. Missed a payment by a few days, they deleted all of it. Despite my requests they refused to try to recover any of the truly precious data, said it couldn't be done. Horrible. Still trying to emotionally recover from that. Maybe someone will reply and say it was my fault. Maybe it was. Can't help but remember how heartless they were about handling the situation. Still hurts to think about it. Ok go ahead and say it's my fault and you don't care........still, it's a painful memory. Really ,really needed that data. Live and learn.

If they were so precious to you, why did you only have one back up of those?

Because I am a human and I make mistakes. Stuff happens.

Sure, we all make mistakes, but it doesn't follow that a provider should save us when we make a mistake

A provider that you didn't pay, none the less.

• @Hetzner_OL said:

isixhost said: A while ago they allowed just 5 IPs for a dedicated server, don't know if that changed now.

This is still true. If you need to, you can order an additional subnet on Robot: https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/IP-Adressen/en (However, I hate to admit that I am not sure if you can order this directly on Robot or if you need to request this in a support ticket.) If you can't find it on Robot, one of our support team members will help you. :) --Katie

Ok, thanks. I see it now.

For virtual servers (VQ/VX/CX) additional IP addresse cannot be ordered.

That means it's not possible to get more dedicated IPs e.g. for customers they are on a VPS?

You can also order additional IPs for a small fee. (See the same link). --Katie

• @Hetzner_OL said:
    You can also order additional IPs for a small fee. (See the same link). --Katie

I saw that link and below the IP tabel is:

"The following IPv4 addresses can be ordered for any dedicated servers"

• Finland location is just amazing, best think they did is build that underwater pipe and added network connection from germany to Finland

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • It's clear that you're eager to advertise your business (despite the fact that you don't have a provider tag), but your signature should be no longer than two lines:

We worked with Hetzner and now. Previously, there were many servers there, now only a few. Many years of experience are available. So we can write such review.
    And their Russian support is just awful. They can afford and lie on the forum about the client.

• isixhostisixhost Member
    edited April 2020

@webgraf said:

VPS with200 GB SSD for EUR 15? How does it work if 200 GB SSD costs approximately $17?

• FalzoFalzo Member

webgraf said: can afford and lie on the forum

everyone can do that. claim things without showing proof or turning personal failures into vendettas as well. oh wait... is... is that you?

@isixhost - I'm sorry, I thought you were talking about adding IPs to a dedicated root server.

If you have one of our Hetzner Cloud servers, you can also add floating IPs: https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/CloudServer/en#What_are_floating_IPs_and_how_do_they_work.3F

--Katie

webgraf said: And their Russian support is just awful. They can afford and lie on the forum about the client.

Did something specific happen with our support that you were not happy about? Which forum do you mean here? Our Hetzner Diskussionsforum? Maybe you can give me a ticket number or a link so that I understand what you mean. Thanks in advance!
    --Katie

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@webgraf said:

It's clear that you're eager to advertise your business (despite the fact that you don't have a provider tag), but your signature should be no longer than two lines:

We worked with Hetzner and now. Previously, there were many servers there, now only a few. Many years of experience are available. So we can write such review.
    And their Russian support is just awful. They can afford and lie on the forum about the client.

In my comment above, I was referring to your signature, and not to what you said about Hetzner

• @bdl said:
    Helena and Katie

What happened to Julia?

Thanked by 2boernd RedSox
  • donlidonli Member
    edited April 2020

@Hetzner_OL said:

Lee said: I'm not obsessed with Hetzner. Does anyone know where I can get a tattoo of their logo though?

Hahaha, well, all kidding aside, our logos are available here. (Scroll down almost to the bottom.) I can't help you with the tattoo itself, though. ;)

This is about the least "logoish" a logo can get:
    https://www.hetzner.com/assets/Uploads/hetzner-251.png
    maybe you should spend some money on fiverr and see if someone can come up with something more logo-like.

uzaysan said: What happened to Julia?

Julia decided that she wanted to go back to school and she was considering going into a completely different industry. I think she was interested in doing something that had more direct social contact - where she saw the people who she was helping directly. She left in November. :( And she's been missed.

In the meantime, though, we've found a new social media manager, named Helena. She had only really been on the forums a few times before corona hit and we both had to start working from home. So, for now, it's a bit easier for me to check on things in the forums.

@donli - I'm sorry you don't like our logo. We do have a designer, so we don't need the services at fiverr, but thanks for the feedback. We appreciate it. --Katie

Thanked by 1uzaysan
  • FalzoFalzo Member

@Hetzner_OL said:

@donli - I'm sorry you don't like our logo. We do have a designer, so we don't need the services at fiverr, but thanks for the feedback. We appreciate it. --Katie

don't change that logo ever. plain. simple. true. can't get any better.
    also I would be highly irritated and might accidentically buy somewhere else, if I can't find home...

...und raider heisst jetzt twix!

Falzo said: ...und raider heisst jetzt twix!

I heard this expression ages ago when I was an exchange student, and I remember trying to look it up in a book of expressions at the time and not finding it. I'd completely forgotten it in the meantime, so it was nice that you repeated it here. --Katie

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • nodesecnodesec Member
    edited April 2020

@Hetzner_OL what does that mean?

And yeah I use both cloud and
    hetzner dedicated server
    support response time is within 30min for me.
    hardware change they took around 1hour to add additional cheap HDD. HDD & SSDs are really cheap here.
    I was able to order /27 subnet easily and took around 2hour to setup.

I was on phone call when changing HDD I was 30min on-hold. -ve

As of now, I have very good experience with them.

edited April 2020

@nodesec - So the company Twix in Germany used to offer the same candy bar in Germany, but under a different name "Raider". In the 1990s, they changed the name from "Raider" to "Trix" in Germany and had the slogan „Raider heißt jetzt Twix, … sonst ändert sich nix“ in a campaign to announce the change. ("Twix is Raider's new name - everything else is the same".) Raider was afraid that people wouldn't buy the candy bar with the name change so they really emphasized that nothing else was changing. So now this expression in German is shorthand for meaning that only superficial changes have been made to something. @Falzo meant this in a playful way to mean that Hetzner shouldn't change it's name.

Thanks for the positive feedback about our response times and our low-priced drives! Our team works really hard to react quickly and to keep our prices affordable. --Katie

Thanked by 3nodesec bdl vimalware
  • @Hetzner_OL said:

webgraf said: And their Russian support is just awful. They can afford and lie on the forum about the client.

Did something specific happen with our support that you were not happy about? Which forum do you mean here? Our Hetzner Diskussionsforum? Maybe you can give me a ticket number or a link so that I understand what you mean. Thanks in advance!
    --Katie

It was several years ago. And I had reported you about deception and inadequacy of your Russian employee. I can't give you a ticket number, because that was a long time ago. And why now? At the time when your help was needed, you ignored me. After several incidents we stopped to resell you, but still have several servers.

• I like Hetzner for dedicated servers
    In Europe they are number one choice for me.

@nbn said:
    Other than the server auction it doesn't seem to me like Hetzner is that great. They don't offer all that much better, or offer worse pricing compared to competitors on similar VPS, like buyvm.net. Also they don't have US VPS. Am I missing something?

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • TejyTejy Member

Keep in mind, that Hetzner may be the best provider for few reasons:
    -extreme low prices, for amazing dedis on old hardware
    -high end hardware, for a cheap price
    -perfect, and reactive assistance

So... That's just why Hetzner may be the best dedi provider.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • I use bare metal hetzner a lot in Europe and I like service, price, support, hardware.
    It just works and its affordable.

One thing disappointed me recently is that I have to pay for VPS even if it is switched off

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • @thealex42 said:
    One thing disappointed me recently is that I have to pay for VPS even if it is switched off

Yeah, I wish they could deallocate the resources, so we only pay for the storage.

Thanked by 1thealex42
  • OujiOuji Member

@0xbkt said:

@thealex42 said:

Yeah, I wish they could deallocate the resources, so we only pay for the storage.

LunaNode would give you that.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Sue if you truly hate Hetzner.

• Hold topic but, i do enjoy alot their cloud.
    First used them for the cheap auction servers, then cloud came along and i tried it.
    Also their billing method is always predictable, i always get my billing on 6th every month, no upfront payments like most hosts (on most you just pay 1 month upfront to find out their hardware is junk with ducktape).

If there are some cheaper alternatives?
    Sure i know a few, yet the level of experience i have on hetzner is still unmatched.
    Their support i dont know as i really never used it, but their control system i enjoy alot.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • We are with OVH some few years without any complaints. No downtimes, no hardware issues...