Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is everyone so obsessed with Hetzner? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why is everyone so obsessed with Hetzner?

Comments

• jlayjlay Member

@akhfa said:

@jlay said:
    I'm unreasonably excited about the launch of Epyc in the cloud. So many cores, my Kubernetes clusters are going to love this

More details for those who haven't seen:
    https://www.hetzner.com/news/04-20-cloud-amd/

Hi
    Sorry OOT, do you use https://github.com/hetznercloud/csi-driver on your cluster?
    Long time ago I tried it and there is many attach failed. I want to ask your opinion if you use it.
    Thank you

I don't use it myself, I run GlusterFS in the cluster and Heketi as a volume provisioner with a custom StorageClass

Thanked by 1akhfa
  • @RedSox said:
    Funny thing, so rich and big company still has no Looking Glass!

https://speed.hetzner.de/

• RedSoxRedSox Member
    edited April 2020

@softweed said:

@RedSox said:

I found this message:

You can ping to our data center in Nuremberg: nbg.icmp.hetzner.com
    You can ping to our data center in Falkenstein: fsn.icmp.hetzner.com
    You can ping to our data center in Finland: hel.icmp.hetzner.com

The only thing I don’t understand is why the tracert from the Finnish datacenter heads to the East through Frankfurt ... It seems very wasteful. It's like flying from Germany to Poland through Iceland :D

• @RedSox said:

@softweed said:

@RedSox said:

I found this message:

You can ping to our data center in Nuremberg: nbg.icmp.hetzner.com
    You can ping to our data center in Falkenstein: fsn.icmp.hetzner.com
    You can ping to our data center in Finland: hel.icmp.hetzner.com

The only thing I don’t understand is why the tracert from the Finnish datacenter heads to the East through Frankfurt ... It seems very wasteful. It's like flying from Germany to Poland through Iceland :D

When it comes to networking, the fastest way is not always a straight line. You cant compare it to flying.

• FalzoFalzo Member

RedSox said: It's like flying from Germany to Poland through Iceland

just that data doesn't fly. it rather takes the train which has to follow rails aka cables...

if there is no big cable and peering from finland towards east, there is no other way then go south first where all big connection come together. and even if there is some route directly to russia f.i. this does not mean that it's faster or more stable ;-)

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • nbnnbn Member

@Hetzner_OL said:
    @nbn There's probably one or two companies or products that you're mildly obsessed with, too. I think everyone's got a few. I think it just depends which products help to make your life just a little bit easier, enjoyable, or more exciting. And, of course, that's going to change a lot from person to person. Right now, for example, I'm a big fan of the fruit and veg delivery service that I use. It feels like getting a healthy care package each week, and my home office lunches are much better for it. My brother doesn't get it, though, but then again, unlike me, he's never liked broccoli...
    For our fans, I'm guessing that there are a few small things that we do that just make us stand out from the others. It's always nice to learn what those small things are, so thanks if you shared them here! :D --Katie

Not trying to hate on you guys, I'm fairly new to this forum and it seemed like you have a lot of rabid supporters/detractors. Personally I'm not gonna go through your verification unless I wanted a server from the auction. Anyhow, my business needs vps in the US anyhow so buyvm, nexusbytes, and racknerd it is.

Thanked by 1dustinc
  • seriesnseriesn Member
    edited April 2020

@nbn said:

@Hetzner_OL said:
    @nbn There's probably one or two companies or products that you're mildly obsessed with, too. I think everyone's got a few. I think it just depends which products help to make your life just a little bit easier, enjoyable, or more exciting. And, of course, that's going to change a lot from person to person. Right now, for example, I'm a big fan of the fruit and veg delivery service that I use. It feels like getting a healthy care package each week, and my home office lunches are much better for it. My brother doesn't get it, though, but then again, unlike me, he's never liked broccoli...
    For our fans, I'm guessing that there are a few small things that we do that just make us stand out from the others. It's always nice to learn what those small things are, so thanks if you shared them here! :D --Katie

Not trying to hate on you guys, I'm fairly new to this forum and it seemed like you have a lot of rabid supporters/detractors. Personally I'm not gonna go through your verification unless I wanted a server from the auction. Anyhow, my business needs vps in the US anyhow so buyvm, nexusbytes, and racknerd it is.

Hey boo thang! 🥰

Thanked by 1nbn
  • @nbn said:
    Other than the server auction it doesn't seem to me like Hetzner is that great. They don't offer all that much better, or offer worse pricing compared to competitors on similar VPS, like buyvm.net. Also they don't have US VPS. Am I missing something?

This company has so many shortcomings that not everyone agrees to work with them. Some just can't.

• nbn said: Personally I'm not gonna go through your verification

Chances are you don't have to. I've personally never had to verify my identity to Hetzner, but my account is alive and kicking since 2006 so yeah. Still: three people I know that fooled around with a Hetzner dedi or VM didn't have to go through identification check either.

I don't know what triggers it, but it's not the standard procedure I guess.

• debaser said: I've personally never had to verify my identity to Hetzner, but my account is alive and kicking since 2006 so yeah.

A lot of water has flowed since 2006. I doubt that it was difficult to register there in 2006. I would not be surprised if in 2006 it was not even necessary to confirm your account with a passport.

three people I know that fooled around with a Hetzner dedi or VM didn't have to go through identification check either.

:/

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@webgraf said:
    EuroHoster.org - The Land of Fast VPS and Dedicated Servers
    50% discount on VPS and 10% discount on dedicated servers
    6-cores Intel Xeon E-2236 from 70 EUR

It's clear that you're eager to advertise your business (despite the fact that you don't have a provider tag), but your signature should be no longer than two lines:

Signatures longer than most of your posts that fill significant portions of our screens. It should not be more than two lines, nor should it be distracting.

(From https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/137719/lowendtalk-community-rules-updated-november-2019 )

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Hetzner is great, but I wish their connectivity to Deutsche Telekom was better, all rtmp streams I tried had packet loss as soon as I went over 10mbps.

Thanked by 1RedSox
  • townty said: I heard some good review about Herzner and want to try with them, but in the 1st step which is registering (still not buying anything), they disabled my account without a notice ...

Exact same thing happened to me.

Very strange indeed.

• debaserdebaser Member
    edited April 2020

@RedSox said:

debaser said: I've personally never had to verify my identity to Hetzner, but my account is alive and kicking since 2006 so yeah.

A lot of water has flowed since 2006. I doubt that it was difficult to register there in 2006. I would not be surprised if in 2006 it was not even necessary to confirm your account with a passport.

Well no, I just signed up. But as you say, that was a different era.

three people I know that fooled around with a Hetzner dedi or VM didn't have to go through identification check either.

Most important thing I forgot to mention this was all the last year. With one friend who just signed up last week especially for the Epyc VM's. Just signed up, filled in his information and go.

So yeah, don't know what triggers it. Is it country (all examples in my post are Dutch or Belgian), type of payment (I know from the friend that signed up recently that he uses SEPA direct debit) or is it just that they doubt your data? No one knows.

• @debaser said:

@RedSox said:

debaser said: I've personally never had to verify my identity to Hetzner, but my account is alive and kicking since 2006 so yeah.

Well no, I just signed up. But as you say, that was a different era.

Most important thing I forgot to mention this was all the last year. With one friend who just signed up last week especially for the Epyc VM's. Just signed up, filled in his information and go.

So yeah, don't know what triggers it. Is it country (all examples in my post are Dutch or Belgian), type of payment (I know from the friend that signed up recently that he uses SEPA direct debit) or is it just that the doubt your data? No one knows.

9/10 normally trying to setup a new account after fleeing from an invoice and or cancelling to many times. Otherwise it’s just ID from what’s happened in the past.

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

tr1cky said: Hetzner is great, but I wish their connectivity to Deutsche Telekom was better, all rtmp streams I tried had packet loss as soon as I went over 10mbps.

If you experienced these connectivity issues in the past, it may have been because of Deutsche Telekom's "double-pay" policy. This became such an issue for our German customers that we made the decision to make a private peering agreement with them. That started in March this year: https://www.hetzner.com/news/03-20-dtag/ --Katie

• @Hetzner_OL said:
    If you experienced these connectivity issues in the past, it may have been because of Deutsche Telekom's "double-pay" policy. This became such an issue for our German customers that we made the decision to make a private peering agreement with them. That started in March this year: https://www.hetzner.com/news/03-20-dtag/ --Katie

That's very good news for connectivity to your services. But it's very unfortunate that it seems you had to give up the "good fight," so to speak.

I'm really surprised DTAG still yields so much power. Do so many German consumers and businesses still subscribe to Telekom and not one of their (usually cheaper) competitors? I get the feeling that many Germans are sticking to their old, trusted DSL, which they've had for the last 15 years. And this is even with the widespread availability of cable in cities, which offers superior speeds and -- at least in my area -- better pricing.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • aj_potc said: I'm really surprised DTAG still yields so much power.

It's not only Germany of course. In a lot of neighbouring countries (Austria, The Netherlands, Czech Republic) DTAG also has a lot of market share. They use (or at least try to) the same double-pay tactics in these markets too.

To be fair (it's a bit off topic) but I think the popularity of Telekom in Germany is becoming bigger because of quadruple play options. They have a LTE network that is far superior to their competitors if you're in more rural areas, so people choose Telekom at home too.

Thanked by 2Hetzner_OL pluush

RedSox said: I doubt that it was difficult to register there in 2006.

Our account authentication method has definitely become tighter over time. So it's possible that some people got accounts in the past who today might not normally get them now. --Katie

debaser said:

I don't know what triggers it

There's lots of different possible things that can trigger it. Sometimes, it's actually a combination of things. We are purposefully non-transparent about what could trigger it.
    In the past, we were transparent, but it caused problems. If we told someone that the account was blocked, for example, because an email address looked suspicious, then they would use a different email address in the future. So being transparent unfortunately made it easier for people to create accounts that they used to abuse our servers.
    So we tried being non-transparent to see if it would make a difference in the volume of fake accounts and abuse. And it did make a difference. Unfortunately, it has the side effect of causing frustration for people whose accounts are not accepted. That's naturally not something that we want. But preventing abuse is much more important to us. --Katie

• p50p50 Member

I had crucial data, and I do mean CRUCIAL (family photos, etc.), saved on a Hetzner storage box. Missed a payment by a few days, they deleted all of it. Despite my requests they refused to try to recover any of the truly precious data, said it couldn't be done. Horrible. Still trying to emotionally recover from that. Maybe someone will reply and say it was my fault. Maybe it was. Can't help but remember how heartless they were about handling the situation. Still hurts to think about it. Ok go ahead and say it's my fault and you don't care........still, it's a painful memory. Really ,really needed that data. Live and learn.

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

p50 said: I had crucial data, and I do mean CRUCIAL (family photos, etc.), saved on a Hetzner storage box. Missed a payment by a few days, they deleted all of it. Despite my requests they refused to try to recover any of the truly precious data, said it couldn't be done. Horrible. Still trying to emotionally recover from that. Maybe someone will reply and say it was my fault. Maybe it was. Can't help but remember how heartless they were about handling the situation. Still hurts to think about it. Ok go ahead and say it's my fault and you don't care........still, it's a painful memory. Really ,really needed that data. Live and learn.

If they were so precious to you, why did you only have one back up of those?

Thanked by 1pluush

Falzo said: just that data doesn't fly. it rather takes the train which has to follow rails aka cables...

if there is no big cable and peering from finland towards east, there is no other way then go south first where all big connection come together. and even if there is some route directly to russia f.i. this does not mean that it's faster or more stable

@RedSox - @Falzo here is right. We have to work with the cables that are already up and running and are stable. In addition to that, it can take some time to negotiate and establish connections. Our team constantly updates our networking infrastructure information here: https://www.hetzner.com/unternehmen/rechenzentrum/ (scroll down to "Peering points", etc.) --Katie

• p50p50 Member

@CConner said:

p50 said: I had crucial data, and I do mean CRUCIAL (family photos, etc.), saved on a Hetzner storage box. Missed a payment by a few days, they deleted all of it. Despite my requests they refused to try to recover any of the truly precious data, said it couldn't be done. Horrible. Still trying to emotionally recover from that. Maybe someone will reply and say it was my fault. Maybe it was. Can't help but remember how heartless they were about handling the situation. Still hurts to think about it. Ok go ahead and say it's my fault and you don't care........still, it's a painful memory. Really ,really needed that data. Live and learn.

Because I am a human and I make mistakes. Stuff happens.

Thanked by 1pluush

@p50 - If our support teams says that they can no longer recover data, they are not doing that to be cruel. It's because they simply can't.
    Are you a relatively new customer? With newer accounts we are stricter about late payments. We are stricter with new customers because there is a greater potential for abuse. (It may sound illogical, but people who abuse servers are also bad about paying their invoices. So by being strict, we prevent abuse.)
    If you were not a new customer, had you been checking emails from us...? We tend to send out warning_s_ before we lock accounts and delete data. At some other web hosting companies, they don't wait at all. Sometimes customers use an email account with us that they don't regularly check, or our mails may land in their spam folders.
    Could that possibly be the case with you?
    Because of the number of customers we have, each month, there simply a large number of people who have not paid their invoices. If we were to automatically back up their servers or keep their servers running, it would become difficult to stay in business.
    That being said, I am really sorry that you lost your data. Long ago, when I was about to finish my bachelor's degree, my computer died and I had not made any backups. I lost all my photos, music, academic work,... everything. I didn't learn my lesson the first time. A few years later when I was writing my Master's thesis, I relied on the backups that the university's IT guy did for our department. But he forgot to do them one week. (To be fair, he was just a underpaid student worker.) It was a week when I had been really productive, and I lost over a chapter of writing. It was stupid because I had an external drive where I could have also saved my files, but I was bad about remembering to do it. I was so depressed that it took me longer to write the chapter a second time.
    So I am really sorry. I know it hurts.
    If you decide to keep the Storage Box, check out some options for making automated backups. BorgBackup is a popular solution, for example: https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/Storage_Boxes/en#SSH_.2F_rsync_.2F_BorgBackup Some customers change their billing period so that they don't have to think about paying their invoices each month. To do this, just write a support ticket to our accounting team and change the billing period to 3 months, 6 months, or a year.
    --Katie

• Hetzner_OL said: We are purposefully non-transparent about what could trigger it.

I think anyone here will understand that ;).

• FalzoFalzo Member

people complain, if they are locked in a contract and they need to actively cancel instead of just forgetting about the accounts and have it deleted by the provider automatically if not paid.

yet here we are discussing complaints about a provider automatically deleting data a few days after non-payment.

TL;DR; one simply cannot make it right for everyone and no matter what, the provider is to blame anyway.

Thanked by 2pike that_guy
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

@p50 said:

@CConner said:

Because I am a human and I make mistakes. Stuff happens.

Sure, we all make mistakes, but it doesn't follow that a provider should save us when we make a mistake

• @Hetzner_OL said:

tr1cky said: Hetzner is great, but I wish their connectivity to Deutsche Telekom was better, all rtmp streams I tried had packet loss as soon as I went over 10mbps.

Unfortunately I'm talking about the current situation, I made the tests about a week ago.
    I don't know why this happens, netcup works just fine (don't know if they use Hetzner DC or if they have their own).

• pbxpbx Member

tr1cky said: (don't know if they use Hetzner DC or if they have their own).

As I understand it they have an arrangement with Hetzner for building space, but use their own network (anexia) & gear.