Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
Don't trust the free VPS providers except some few really big ones
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Don't trust the free VPS providers except some few really big ones

I have not used free VPS before, because there was none. However, I have tried one over the last month, only to find out that they are liars and scammers.

One of them is the evolution-host.com. They told me that I can use their free service unless I put a link in my website, and choose to go to their designated link and put some comments there every month, when the subscription is due. The commenting will takes less than 30 seconds, as they promised me. Therefore I consider it not a big deal and decided to continue with their free VPS. However, yesterday they sent me an notification that asked me to pay a USD 20 monthly fee if I want to continue with their service. In conclusion, they only provide you with an one month free trial, while during that one month period, my site has helped greatly in promoting their service, because my site has a quite significant traffic and is well known in the industry. They have gained enough popularity and exposure owing to my promotion, therefore they think it's no more useful to let me enjoy their free VPS. And I have to look for new service provider which took me a whole night last night. As a whole, I have gained nothing from this one month period, because I have a paid service which will only expire a week later, while evolution-host has acquired some fame due to my linkage.

Another free VPS provider, euserv.com, is offering you very bad experiences. It's hard to ssh login, and it's very hard to perform commands while logged in. And finally it gave me the following message after some operations:
Connection closing...Socket close.
Connection closed by foreign host.
Disconnected from remote host(euserv) at 09:33:37.
And then I can never login again, and I have to reinstall the system to resume my access. In this case all what I have done before are lost.

My suggestions to all people seeking free VPS here: never try them at all. All are fake, scammers. Don't waste your time. You can get your hosting in many other ways, such as free shared hosting, free PAAS etc, but no free VPS. There are only two things which don't give out free on the web: domains and VPS.

Comments

• king8654king8654 Member

Vps cost money
    Free vps lose money
    Gotta make money somehow

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • angstromangstrom Member
    edited April 6

@globalone said: My suggestions to all people seeking free VPS here: never try them at all. All are fake, scammers. Don't waste your time. You can get your hosting in many other ways, such as free shared hosting, free PAAS etc, but no free VPS. There are only two things which don't give out free on the web: domains and VPS.

Thanks for sharing the conclusions of your investigation

I'm impressed at how much time and effort you spent on trying to get a free VPS

There are a couple of decent free VPSes around, operated by members of the community, but they have restrictions, and also have requirements to sign up

"Linux will run happily with only 4 MB of RAM, including all of the bells and whistles such as the X Window System, Emacs, and so on." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 32)

• hostworldhostworld Member, Provider

I wouldn’t recommend using a free VPS for anything other than a test environment. If you’re hosting a blog and your visitors rely on your VPS being online, why take that risk?

hostworld.uk - Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, SSD & NVMe VPS, Dedicated Servers & Domains. UK & US data centres & 24/7 UK support.

• globalone said: There are only two things which don't give out free on the web: domains and VPS.

Huh? We have at least 2 projects that are alive and well, combine it with a free .design domain from Porkbun a while ago equals 0 dollars and 0 cents.

• marvelmarvel Member without signature

If you pay peanuts you get monkeys. If you pay nothing you get nothing.

Thanked by 2default TimboJones
  • 4d4m4d4m Member

@globalone said:
    There are only two things which don't give out free on the web: domains and VPS.

I didn't know this and now I feel left out...Where do I sign up for all of this other free stuff? Can I get some free Bitcoin?

• hzrhzr Member, Moderator

, my site has helped greatly in promoting their service, because my site has a quite significant traffic and is well known in the industry

Why can't you afford a VPS then?

• NeoonNeoon Member
    edited April 6

Yes free vps is a scam.

Thanked by 2Lee t0m
  • LeeLee Member

Any free service is a scam, bastards.

Thanked by 1anonym_user
  • king8654king8654 Member
    edited April 6

@SCAM_DONT_BUY said:

globalone said: There are only two things which don't give out free on the web: domains and VPS.

Huh? We have at least 2 projects that are alive and well, combine it with a free .design domain from Porkbun a while ago equals 0 dollars and 0 cents.

Obviously not production, or your just crazy lol also.design

FIRST YEAR SALE
    $34.46
    REGULAR REGISTRATION
    $34.94
    RENEWAL

Gonna have fun for renewal

• t0ny0t0ny0 Member

If you pay nothing for a product - then you are the product.

• elliotcelliotc Member

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't want to trust Oracle free tier.

Coffee, please.

• seriesnseriesn Member, Provider

@Lee said:

Refers to the signature. 🧐🧐😂😂😂

Thanked by 2Lee ViridWeb
  • uptimeuptime Member

need fully managed

the Amitz.party lives on!

• UnbelievableUnbelievable Member
    edited April 6

@hostworld said:
    I wouldn’t recommend using a free VPS for anything other than a test environment. If you’re hosting a blog and your visitors rely on your VPS being online, why take that risk?

I personally wouldnt recommend a 5 month old company either, why take that risk?

Nothing profound to say, so I'm on LET.

• seriesnseriesn Member, Provider

@Unbelievable said:

@hostworld said:

I personally wouldnt recommend a 5 month old company either, why take that risk?

How could you? You are Unbelievable!

• NeoonNeoon Member

@hzr said:

, my site has helped greatly in promoting their service, because my site has a quite significant traffic and is well known in the industry

Why can't you afford a VPS then?

Likely spending all his money on hookers and liquids.

• LeeLee Member

Neoon said: Likely spending all his money on hookers and liquids.

Smart guy, we could learn from him, her or they.

• LeeLee Member

Unbelievable said: I personally wouldnt recommend a 5 month old company either, why take that risk?

I don't trust a newbie that registered just a few days ago until I know what his angle is. that is how it works on this site. Are you ban evading, wanting a provider tag? There is more to you than meets the eye.

• uptimeuptime Member

never trust a fart ...

Thanked by 1TimboJones

the Amitz.party lives on!

• defaultdefault Member

Thanked by 1uptime

Fastmako (aff) - great VPS for your needs.

• king8654 said: Obviously not production, or your just crazy lol also.

What do you expect for FREE? You're gonna have to move every year, but thats it. It's FREE.

• However, yesterday they sent me an notification that asked me to pay a USD 20 monthly fee if I want to continue with their service. In conclusion, they only provide you with an one month free trial, while during that one month period, my site has helped greatly in promoting their service, because my site has a quite significant traffic and is well known in the industry.

I'm genuinely curious to see what was expected from the provider and the email requesting payment. His second sentence says he "tried" it, whereas we'd say "used", right? I'm pretty sure there was some acceptance criteria by the provider and wondering if there was a miscommunication between stating what the requirements are and actually being accepted into the free plan. Because if you were under the impression something was free, got an email for a payment required, you'd want to msg the provider and clarify if it was an automated email sent in mistake, or if there was a misunderstanding before going through the trouble of finding yet another provider. And if you wanted to call them out for being "liars and scammers", you'd want to show what they said that confirms that allegation.

So you left out the useful part of your post.

• vncouponvncoupon Member without signature

Free vps is only for testing. Don't put your important data on it.

• XsltelXsltel Member, Provider

one day when IPv4 becomes free I will offer free VPS

Xsltel OU | A One-man show powered by 250 grams of brain
    Offering reliable hosting services, Server management since 2011 and free cPanel hosting since 2020

• thedpthedp Member

@Xsltel said:
    one day when IPv4 becomes free I will offer free VPS

Start offering NAT VPSs for free then :)

DomainPeon
    Ongoing Auctions: LowEndTalk

• vncouponvncoupon Member without signature

@thedp said:

Good idea! :)

• XsltelXsltel Member, Provider

thedp said: Start offering NAT VPSs for free then

What about IPv6 only free VPS, is that a thing ?

Xsltel OU | A One-man show powered by 250 grams of brain
    Offering reliable hosting services, Server management since 2011 and free cPanel hosting since 2020

• mrTommrTom Member

My free evolution-host.com VPS, that I got from their promotion here in exchange for a link, works just fine, no problems and excellent performance for some months now.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Remember kids, "free" means you are paying in something else other than currency.

I have not created a single thread. Verify it if you dare.

• @Lee said:

view your sign XD

Thanked by 1Lee
  • @mrTom said:
    My free evolution-host.com VPS, that I got from their promotion here in exchange for a link, works just fine, no problems and excellent performance for some months now.

This is my experience also, it's been virtually flawless. Never had any issues, and I never caused any issues more importantly lol

Purveyor of high quality potassium

• ralphralph Member, Provider

free VPS
    scammers

Sorry but it doesn't seem you understand what you are talking about so I didn't read anything after your first sentence, the terminology you are using is completely irrelevant.

https://exohop.net - privacy-oriented VPS in Switzerland. Accepting crypto.

• @deank said:
    Remember kids, "free" means you are paying in something else other than currency.

You're paying with your insanity

• Why on Earth would anyone bother with a free VPS when you can get them for < $10/yr

Or if really desparate, <$3/yr without IPv4

Thanked by 1coreflux

Favourite host in general: Ramnode (affiliate link)
    Favourite host for hourly billing/custom ISOs: Vultr ($50 free credit for new accounts, affiliate link)

• niuwoniuwo Member

euserv is good. It work fine for me a long time

I am a pretty girl

• My experience with evolution-host.com was/ is nice and flawless. In exchange for a VPS I placed their link in my forum profile on another forum. Since that day my VPS is running smooth all the time. Nothing negative to say at all! :)

Proof:
    https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/888C911023347F50CBE25738C893E357C2C92BA2

• AlienData_JoshAlienData_Josh Member, Provider

OR Just make your own VPN

Alien Data: VPS and Colo Based In Texas, Unmetered Bandwidth.
    RPIServers: Dedicated Micro Servers. Unmeterd Bandwidth

• emgemg Member

I tried a free VPS a few years ago, from Host1Free (Host1Plus). It took way too much effort to get, keep, and maintain. I remember a long waiting list until my request was accepted, and connecting to the new VPS was a challenge. Performance was so bad the VPS wasn't useable, not even as a way to learn VPS configuration and management. "Bad" does not begin to describe the experience.

Soon after I got my free VPS, Host1Plus got hacked, and all their VPSs (paid and free) were destroyed by the attacker. There were no backups. Paid VPSs were down for weeks, There was no easy way to get your freeVPS back. The replacement process involved going through more hoops than it was worth for me. I will never trust Host1Plus for anything after that experience.

No free VPS is worth the effort and sacrifice. Not even as a learning aid. Don't waste your time. Find a decent cheap VPS and scrounge up the money for it.

If you are a poor student, you should be able to get a free VPS from a quality commercial provider based on your student status. Ask your computer science professor to help you. One of my children got one from Digital Ocean for a year while they were a college student.

• i'm the owner of one hosting and we will give a free trial VPS server for like 4 days but we never give 1 month free.

Giving 1 month need a lot of money and don't give any earn!

• MarkLuunMarkLuun Member
    edited April 20

I > @emg said:

I tried a free VPS a few years ago, from Host1Free (Host1Plus). It took way too much effort to get, keep, and maintain. I remember a long waiting list until my request was accepted, and connecting to the new VPS was a challenge. Performance was so bad the VPS wasn't useable, not even as a way to learn VPS configuration and management. "Bad" does not begin to describe the experience.

Soon after I got my free VPS, Host1Plus got hacked, and all their VPSs (paid and free) were destroyed by the attacker. There were no backups. Paid VPSs were down for weeks, There was no easy way to get your freeVPS back. The replacement process involved going through more hoops than it was worth for me. I will never trust Host1Plus for anything after that experience.

No free VPS is worth the effort and sacrifice. Not even as a learning aid. Don't waste your time. Find a decent cheap VPS and scrounge up the money for it.

If you are a poor student, you should be able to get a free VPS from a quality commercial provider based on your student status. Ask your computer science professor to help you. One of my children got one from Digital Ocean for a year while they were a college student.

https://ipax.at also gives away free V10 virtual servers to students. A proof, like a university document, is required.
    Their V10 servers are really nice, btw.! :)

• EmmEmm Member

Maybe Oracle is a good choice

• lmsylmsy Member

@MarkLuun said:
    https://ipax.at also gives away free V10 virtual servers to students. A proof, like a university document, is required.
    Their V10 servers are really nice, btw.! :)

The student program is currently suspended due to the COVID-19 crisis for new registrations in order to conserve technical and especially human resources.

• haoduckhaoduck Member

Free is the most expensive

• @vncoupon said:

@thedp said:

@vncoupon said:

@thedp said:

VPS with IPV6 is also welcome ;)