Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low Scam Box Makes Me Sad (and Cost Me Money) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Low Scam Box Makes Me Sad (and Cost Me Money)

Comments

• hostworldhostworld Member, Host Rep

@teamacc said:

@hostworld said:
    It annoys me when I read of web hosts doing this. A good proportion of web hosts who advertise on LEB are genuine and would go above and beyond for their customers, and aren’t a here one minute and gone the next host. It wasn’t just LEB users affected though, there was a lengthy thread on WHT about it too and several from there had also been affected.

Any way to get your money back through the dispute process or not likely?

This was a host advertised in 2019. Here's a list of hosts that advertised on LEB in 2019. The red ones have deadpooled, the yellow ones are CC-based on CC brands. The green ones are (as far as I can see) not directly related to CC.

This is however an old image. There is evidence linking 81vps, pdqserver and windowsvps together.

That’s crazy. Thanks for putting that together. I don’t think some people have any morals, they’re obviously happy to cause stress to people and then run a mile without any thought.

I do feel for LEB and other community forums though, I’m sure they would in no way want to be associated with scammy/fly by hosts and posting their offers, so it must annoy them too when they hear about this happening!

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@hostworld said: I do feel for LEB and other community forums though, I’m sure they would in no way want to be associated with scammy/fly by hosts and posting their offers, so it must annoy them too when they hear about this happening!

You're new around here, aren't you?

Thanked by 2AlwaysSkint uptime
  • Everyone loves a good deal and that’s where the problem is. Companies fail even with sustainable pricing, often because another with an inevitable death offers “unbeatable” rates that everyone falls for.

Stick for the reputable brands around here. There are some pretty well managed, budget providers like BuyVM, ExtraVM and others that have been here for a while.

Do your research, read reviews, check how old a provider is using waybackmachine.

Thanked by 1truweb

@angstrom said:

@hostworld said: I do feel for LEB and other community forums though, I’m sure they would in no way want to be associated with scammy/fly by hosts and posting their offers, so it must annoy them too when they hear about this happening!

You're new around here, aren't you?

New to LET, been featured a couple of times on LEB...?

• deankdeank Member, Troll

@hostworld said:
    I do feel for LEB and other community forums though, I’m sure they would in no way want to be associated with scammy/fly by hosts and posting their offers, so it must annoy them too when they hear about this happening!

What. The. WSS.

Sigh....

Thanked by 1Lee
    edited April 2020

@deank said:

@hostworld said:

What. The. WSS.

Sigh....

So you think LEB (example) would happily post offers if they knew the host was going to offer a crappy service and then do a disappearing act after 2-3 months? Am I missing something?

edited April 2020

You are really new to the scene, aren't you. Either that, you are sucking up too hard.

lol is all I can type on the matter. Dig the history, do some research.

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited April 2020

hostworld said: So you think LEB (example) would happily post offers if they knew the host was going to offer a crappy service and then do a disappearing act after 2-3 months? Am I missing something?

The history of LET/LEB clearly.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran
    edited April 2020

This topic has been covered dozens of times, but the essence of it is that in 2019, while low end box and low end talk were owned by ColoCrossing, a holding company with many brands was able to publish many of their brands each month by not making clear the ownership structure. At the time a non technical writer was responsible for reviewing and publishing offers.

Low End Box during 2019 stopped allowing hosts with little history to offer annual deals. Ultimately this, combined with the cpanel price increases and plenty of apparent poor management caused the holding company to go bankrupt, letting its customers and vendors down.

ColoCrossing was the primary vendor to this holding company. Upon learning that they were going out of business ColoCrossing kept the servers online for a few extra weeks to give customers a chance to migrate. ColoCrossing at that time hadn't been paid in a few months by the client.

Since purchasing Low End Box and Low End Talk in January I've been busy changing things in February and March for the better. We have tons of new content coming, much higher scrutiny for hosts published on Low End Box, new tutorials and opinion editorials provided on a paid basis by community members, and a very long list of community and software improvements that have been covered in other threads. There is a ton of positive change happening and I'm going to keep that momentum going.

One thing that will change is the anger and general nastiness that some users display to other community members. Having an opinion and voicing it is great but please do so with some courtesy. Low End Talk does not need to be the wild west.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited April 2020

Ok, but let's not overlook that you were in control when at ColoCrossing, you were the architect, the person in overall control of all the lies and deceit over many years when it comes to LET/LEB. The buck stopped with you.

You can't brush everything under the carpet with "that was the past" when you were responsible for it.

Her words don't change a single thing.

A broken glass is broken no matter how much you glue them together. Besides, as Lee points out, she was the one in charge and she expects us to believe her bureaucracy?

I'd rather trust Jeremy Corbyn.

Thanked by 1Lee

Lee said: Ok, but let's not overlook that you were in control when at ColoCrossing, you were the architect, the person in overall control of all the lies and deceit over many years when it comes to LET/LEB. The buck stopped with you.

You can't brush everything under the carpet with "that was the past" when you were responsible for it.

I sold ColoCrossing in June 2018 and have not had operational control in nearly two years.

edited April 2020

So be it then.

You said this in "Changes are coming thread".

June, 2019.

And LET hit the absolute worst later that year with the biggest scam pulled by LEB.

Thanked by 2AlwaysSkint uptime
    edited April 2020

deank said: You said this in "Changes are coming thread".

For a brief moment resources were dedicated by Deluxe to LEB/LET after my message in June 2019. That lasted only weeks before the resources were allocated elsewhere and again LEB/LET were left to wither.

Now that I own it as of end of January 2020, the track record of follow through has been very strong. I'm going to keep pushing to make our community better and better. :)

• Lulz ...

• @SCAM_DONT_BUY said:

uptime said: need fully managed gameserver up to 20 ok

PHP SELEKTOR OK?

U HAS JAVA SELEKTOR?

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited April 2020

@Lee said:
    Ok, but let's not overlook that you were in control when at ColoCrossing, you were the architect, the person in overall control of all the lies and deceit over many years when it comes to LET/LEB. The buck stopped with you.

Is that really so?
    Sorry, but as the "beating @jbiloh" game seems to have become uncontrollable for some, let me tell you about my viewpoint and experience:

jbiloh created CC and grew it to considerable size. Certainly CC wasn't perfect (which company is?) but it can't have been all shitty neither or else it couldn't have grown to a significant player.

Then he sold CC - and here comes a phase many don't seem to understand. I do, probably because I have been in startups and in large corporations; I have flown, together with VCs and executives to the financial district (in my case London), I have seen "big guys" quiver and bow before some financial analyst whose "yes" or "no" would make or break their company (along with their investment). I have seen founders keeping 5% - 10% of their company after the first investment round.

So I can tell you clearly that jbiloh is not just some a__hole. The fact that CC survived and ended up being bought by a large corp. means that jbiloh know a few things about business, you bet.

But I also see jbiloh in the phase when he was a "valued human resource" for Deluxe. Trust me, it's not at all easy that change from being the boss to being one of many execs in a large corp. Plus, the real deal usually is that they want the former owners expertise just like vampires want blood. You either become one of them and like them or you leave. jbiloh decided to leave.

Now for LEB/LET: My personal guess is that jbiloh always had a spot in his heart for LET/LEB ... but ... running and growing (and selling) a relatively large company almost invariably translate to simply not finding the time to properly care about one's hobbies and side projects.
    But of course, there I agree with you, that's not our problem and we had good reason to simply consider him an empty talker and to dislike him.

Now, however, that he achieved his big success (growing CC), sold CC, got a taste of Deluxe's internals, and finally left (except some consulting), he is another version of himself and one that does have some time for LET/LEB and resources too.

You know, what I find so funny? That he, jbiloh has left Deluxe and the CC phase behind himself - but some here did not.

Hell, if you want to judge the man then at least look at him now instead of staying in the past and warming up old stuff again and again.

(FWIW, maybe helpful: When I mentioned that I'm ready to pay the couple of bucks for a (to be tested) VPS myself, jbiloh got really triggered (the only time I experienced that) and told me "No. You will NEVER pay for the service that you provide to the community and me! - I - will carry those costs!". That told me something important about him.)

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited April 2020

jsg said: let me tell you about my viewpoint and experience:

That is far as I read, those of us that have been here since CC bought this site know the true background, some still have the emails/docs leaked from CC some years back.

If he is turning a corner, fair enough time will tell, but from someone with your history on this site and having already been banned under you previous @bsdguy account you carry no weight in terms of your opinions that are heavily sided with @jblioh for the opportunities, nothing else.

I said on other sites I will keep my mouth shut and just keep my 'I told you so' tucked under my arm for the right time. I will do that from now on, just not worth it anymore.

Thanked by 1skorous

Trying to turn around is fine.

Lying through teeth to re-write history is not. At this point, she is a serial-liar.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@Lee said:
    ... having already been banned under you previous @bsdguy account you carry no weight in terms of your opinions ...

Sorry, but NO, adding a second conspiracy theory is NOT an acceptable replacement for reality.

your opinions that are heavily sided with @jblioh for the opportunities

That is a double BS burger. (a) you simply count someone who doesn't agree with your view as "heavily sided", (b) sorry to disappoint you but it wasn't me applying for "opportunities" but @jbiloh asking me (out of the blue, as I perceived it).

Interesting btw. that you do not tolerate it when very few here do not fire from all barrels against jbiloh ... while many here all but wage a holy war against him which you find perfectly fine.

A few users here giving jbiloh a fair chance simply looks unbalanced and unfair to you. Strange, really strange.

edited April 2020

jsg said: So I can tell you clearly that jbiloh is not just some a__hole. The fact that CC survived and ended up being bought by a large corp. means that jbiloh know a few things about business, you bet.

Thanks for saying that. I worked hard from 15 years old to 30, giving up so much in the interim, and was fortunate to help lead a really great team at ColoCrossing. I stick around in an advisory role now to do whatever I am able to help support the employees and customers.

jsg said: Then he sold CC - and here comes a phase many don't seem to understand. I do, probably because I have been in startups and in large corporations; I have flown, together with VCs and executives to the financial district (in my case London), I have seen "big guys" quiver and bow before some financial analyst whose "yes" or "no" would make or break their company (along with their investment). I have seen founders keeping 5% - 10% of their company after the first investment round.

Agreed. No question that there is a huge (mega) difference between running a large small business, like ColoCrossing, and then being part of the corporate machine. It was a learning opportunity for sure and I am thankful for it, despite the challenges that come along the way.

jsg said: Now for LEB/LET: My personal guess is that jbiloh always had a spot in his heart for LET/LEB ... but ... running and growing (and selling) a relatively large company almost invariably translate to simply not finding the time to properly care about one's hobbies and side projects.

I've always had a passion for hosting and LEB/LET. That's why I bought it back with my own personal money to help get it back to where it needs to be. Prior to selling ColoCrossing I did not have the time to dedicate to LEB/LET, and that's on me, but now I do and I'm working double hard. I completely understand that folks are sceptical because this place, which I cherish, as do so many others, was left without any support/resources for over a year after ColoCrossing was sold. We're making that right however, better late than never. I don't believe any reasonable person can look at what we've accomplished the last 60 days and say it's not significant.

Lee said: If he is turning a corner, fair enough time will tell, but from someone with your history on this site and having already been banned under you previous @bsdguy account you carry no weight in terms of your opinions that are heavily sided with @jblioh for the opportunities, nothing else.

Appreciate the opportunity and glad to have you involved in the community. Thank you!

As far as @jsg is concerned, my interactions with him have been lovely, from the moment I sent him an out-of-the-blue personalized message thanking him for being part of the LET (just like I did to many others) to where we are now, with him taking a big part in the Review Series. I hope that @jsg will continue to stay active in our community because he's a great positive resource.

Lee said: I said on other sites I will keep my mouth shut and just keep my 'I told you so' tucked under my arm for the right time. I will do that from now on, just not worth it anymore.

Your opinions are your right, and I respect that. Like I said above, just glad to have your contributions to our community and hope that you'll keep an open mind and strike an optimistic tone. :)

Thanked by 1Lee
  • Correct me if this has been discussed already but I can see the page about sparkvps offer is still online? I thought they were closed already last December 2019 ? Shouldn't the offer be taken down to avoid getting scammed ? Poor to those users paying until this year...

• @jonesolutions said:
    Correct me if this has been discussed already but I can see the page about sparkvps offer is still online? I thought they were closed already last December 2019 ? Shouldn't the offer be taken down to avoid getting scammed ? Poor to those users paying until this year...

You mean they're still up on LEB? They are, but I think it's a good reminder of what to avoid so worth keeping up imo.

Their sites down anyway so it seems impossible for others to get scammed.

Thanked by 1lowscamboxsad
  • Lurked here for years? Where the fuck was he 5 months ago? In 5 months from now, is he going to come back here and post how we should read up on this new really bad flu that's been going around?

• @TimboJones said:
    Lurked here for years? Where the fuck was he 5 months ago? In 5 months from now, is he going to come back here and post how we should read up on this new really bad flu that's been going around?

Yo, Been reading here... never bothered to post. NEWS FLASH: Lots of people read forum posts, yet don't bother to post themselves. (OMG! SHOCKING to the delusional) PS: COVID-19 Is Bad. Sure you're aware, no need for me to post. But @TimboJones aka "Asshat numero uno" decided to make cute condescending comments earning him said title. Get a life @TimboJones --- SparkVPS was a scam. Perhaps you're pissed I'm mentioning it? Whatever. Chill, Bro. Chill. Peace.

• lowscamboxsadlowscamboxsad Member
    edited April 2020

xposting to show a running theme:

**> @TimboJones said:

» show previous quotes
    I can't believe it needs to be explained how annual pricing is able to get cheaper pricing than monthly, and the whole f'n point of LET/LEB is the LOW END (low price). So trying to reduce the provider's overhead (payment fees) to pass that savings on to the customer.

When you get older and join the work force, you'll understand basic business a little better.**

@TimboJones - Bro... The workforce I am part of. To brag about or mention my salary would be petty, but It's enough to live very comfortably in an expensive area. Low End Box bullshit is a hobby of mine. A side business. I don't need the money. I do the side business for fun. --- Getting fucked on year long-only deals sets a bad precedent. So anyone offering a year long or bi-annual deal on LEB is suspect because I got fucked by sparkVPS. -- Make sense, Bro? Go preach to somebody else. I don't need your high horse. I could step away from everything colo and live comfortably. I merely do this to help out a few friends. How bout you? Want to post your paystub and prove you've joined the "work force" you speak of and make more than 90k a year? Put up or shut up, bro. Don't call someone out when you don't know shit about who or what they are. That's a bitch move my "friend" -- PS: Props to @mailcheap for being adults in this situation unlike @TimboJones who results to cheap shots, no matter how inaccurate. and that's just Fucking Pathetic. PEACE.

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

@jbiloh said:
    Low End Box during 2019 stopped allowing hosts with little history to offer annual deals. Ultimately this, combined with the cpanel price increases and plenty of apparent poor management caused the holding company to go bankrupt, letting its customers and vendors down.

I honestly call this a bullshit.

How can you (or CC in this case) go bankrupt after all those scams happening? You/CC must have made a lot of money from the scams, then how come it went bankrupt?

Just be a man for once. Don't cover up things. The community values honesty, you'll be greatly awarded if you do so, otherwise, they'll haunt you till eternity.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@BlaZe said:

@jbiloh said:

How can you (or CC in this case) go bankrupt after all those scams happening? You/CC must have made a lot of money from the scams, then how come it went bankrupt?

You may have misunderstood something: it wasn't CC that went bankrupt. By all signs, CC have done very well despite everything.

It was all of those fly-by-night hosting companies that purchased servers from CC that went bankrupt. CC were more than eager to advertise and push these fly-by-night hosting companies on LEB.

Thanked by 2Lee TimboJones
  • angstrom said: CC were more than eager to advertise and push these fly-by-night hosting companies on LEB.

Wonder why...

@BlaZe said:

@jbiloh said:

Just be a man for once. Don't cover up things. The community values honesty, you'll be greatly awarded if you do so, otherwise, they'll haunt you till eternity.

You misunderstood my remarks. The holding company which owned the hosting companies that went out of business went bankrupt.