Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for cheap VPS [that can bear some abuse, for infosec work...]
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for cheap VPS [that can bear some abuse, for infosec work...]

I do bug hunting, and for reconnaissance I have to scan a large number of hosts (whole internet scans for vulnerable systems). In my experience a lot of cloud providers are a bit restrictive and consider it abuse (which it isn't).

Resultantly, account gets banned within few months of running scans. I wanna avoid that. Although, I maintain sanity by putting a sleep for few seconds, its still considered spam by a lot of VPS providers.

So, I am looking for

1. dirt cheap
  2. reliable
  3. abuse tolerant
  4. setting honeypots to understand exploits of other hackers. (deliberately vulnerable systems)
  5. performing internet wide reconnaissance scans
  6. need high bandwidth + high host resolving power (to run tools like massdns for example)
  7. offer decent value for money

Looking for suggestions, thanks.

Also this forum is really nice, finally i became a member after reading the posts (literally lurking) for years whenever i needed hosting related info.

Comments

• xaocxaoc Member

Sounds sticky.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Sounds tacky.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

So... you break things?

Thanked by 1exception0x876
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Asking in the wrong neighborhood.

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider

That just stinks

It's the type of customer no one wants to have

Thanked by 2TimboJones Tr33n
  • angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited April 2020

No congrats on your first post

Good luck with your budget

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

Good luck with everything - not limited to your budget.

So your use case isn't abusive (according to your definition) but your are searching for a provider tolerating abuse. Hm.

At least you are communicating your use case - so those not wanting that kind of customers can simply pass. However I don't know who will remain..

• breakthings said: whole internet scans for vulnerable systems

If you can stop scanning the whole internet for vulnerable systems, I believe there are multiple options who tolerate moderate amount of these things. But scanning systems without permissions is kind of a black hat thing so providers don't like that.

I have seen companies who do infosec work use major cloud providers without any issues since they do have permission from whatever the company they are info-secking for. :sweat_smile:

• @breakthings said:
    I do bug hunting, and for reconnaissance I have to scan a large number of hosts (whole internet scans for vulnerable systems). In my experience a lot of cloud providers are a bit restrictive and consider it abuse (which it isn't).

Resultantly, account gets banned within few months of running scans. I wanna avoid that. Although, I maintain sanity by putting a sleep for few seconds, its still considered spam by a lot of VPS providers.

So, I am looking for

1. dirt cheap
    2. reliable
    3. abuse tolerant
    4. setting honeypots to understand exploits of other hackers. (deliberately vulnerable systems)
    5. performing internet wide reconnaissance scans
    6. need high bandwidth + high host resolving power (to run tools like massdns for example)
    7. offer decent value for money

Looking for suggestions, thanks.

Also this forum is really nice, finally i became a member after reading the posts (literally lurking) for years whenever i needed hosting related info.

Look no further than https://cockbox.org/?r=463

Basically fine for anything that isn't a real crime in Romania.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

I wish for a world where no one bothers to scan "vulnerable systems" so that we can rest in peace.

Bah, dat ain't gonna happen. People love to abuse.

Thanked by 1Abd
  • If you do "infosec" and scan the whole internet, my estimation is that 9 out of 10 chance you are one of those spamming bogus bug bounty reports hoping for some cash. If this is the case, I'm pleased to know that profit magin isn't that high doing this, seeing you are looking for the cheap.

• @breakthings said:

Don't be obtuse. That's 100% abuse since you don't have permission to scan those computer systems. You even state you do "bug hunting" (defense), but to do that you "scan...whole internet scans for vulnerable systems" (offense). How would you like it if all day long, people just walked up to your door and tried turning the door knob? (whether its locked or unlocked is irrelevant). Reconnaissance my ass.

I smell a ban coming.

• @sundaymouse said:
    If you do "infosec" and scan the whole internet, my estimation is that 9 out of 10 chance you are one of those spamming bogus bug bounty reports hoping for some cash. If this is the case, I'm pleased to know that profit magin isn't that high doing this, seeing you are looking for the cheap.

This is to scan commercial servers and then contact them for a reward to point out they have these bugs?

Not reporting to the original software maker the bug and rewarded because it will benefit EVERYONE? If it isn't, "I do bug hunting" is misleading if not outright wrong.

• breakthingsbreakthings Member
    edited April 2020

@FAT32 said:
    So... you break things?

well, yeah. since i was a kid...

Just to clarify, the scans would target specific IP ranges of clients and bug bounty programs where I am authorized. But despite that, some hosting providers consider it abuse, so i clearly stated i am looking for hosting providers willing to accept that kind of abuse, as in high rate of requests fired to large number of hosts

Just to give an Idea, take Yahoo/Verizon for example. I would send certain requests and check their hosts for Reconnaissance, thats it.

• Providers here don’t want such activities. I’d suggest contacting datacenters like M247 (a lot of VPN providers use this) to ask if they accept this and get a quote

• @breakthings said:

@FAT32 said:
    So... you break things?

Just to clarify, the scans would target specific IP ranges of clients and bug bounty programs where I am authorized. But despite that, some hosting providers consider it abuse, so i clearly stated i am looking for hosting providers willing to accept that kind of abuse, as in high rate of requests fired to large number of hosts

Just to give an Idea, take Yahoo/Verizon for example. I would send certain requests and check their hosts for Reconnaissance, thats it.

I have done similar work myself and when working with giants like Yahoo and Verizon, they have always provided servers to do the scans from themselves.
    Any big provider worth their name prohibits such scans from outside their own network.

• @rcy026 said:

@breakthings said:

@FAT32 said:
    So... you break things?

I have done similar work myself and when working with giants like Yahoo and Verizon, they have always provided servers to do the scans from themselves.
    Any big provider worth their name prohibits such scans from outside their own network.

Tell me which bounty program offers you a server to do your own reconnaissance, curious.

• Sounds legit.

But really, I don't see any problem with this. OP was nice and didn't try to hide anything, clearly mentioned what he will use the box for. Good luck finding your provider.

Thanked by 1breakthings
  • @breakthings said:

@rcy026 said:

@breakthings said:

@FAT32 said:
    So... you break things?

Tell me which bounty program offers you a server to do your own reconnaissance, curious.

If you are authorized by Verizon and Yahoo to scan their networks, I'm pretty sure they will provide you with a server to do those scans from.

edited April 2020

@rcy026 said:

@breakthings said:

@rcy026 said:

@breakthings said:

@FAT32 said:
    So... you break things?

If you are authorized by Verizon and Yahoo to scan their networks, I'm pretty sure they will provide you with a server to do those scans from.

Not for hunters. For The Paranoids, Verizon's security team and some elites they might get such servers and exclusive perks, which we don't.

As for external scans: The bounty brief allows reconnaissance, sticking to a rate limit.
    sure other giants may have different policies.

• here is one possibility powersurge.net

• Hi. Some Russian and Romanian Datacenters allow this but better ask before buy

• can't you use a cheap dedi?

• tjol5tjol5 Member
    edited April 2020

pay for Shodan API

https://developer.shodan.io/pricing

not exactly cheap, but its tolerated ($59/$299/899 per month) and meant for this purpose...

• @breakthings said:

If you do have permission to scan your client's network, then why not scan from your home network? No one would complain, right? Even if your service provider got some abuse reports, you certainly can show proof of your client's authorization.

A bigger problem is how to verify the IP addresses indeed belong to your clients. If your clients are NSA or malicious hackers, will you reject their businesses?

edited May 2020

@tjol5 said:
    pay for Shodan API

https://developer.shodan.io/pricing

not exactly cheap, but its tolerated ($59/$299/899 per month) and meant for this purpose...

I have used Shodan on certain occasions but its not the cheapest option. I do know they have enterprise plans, but not a replacement for the flexibility of a VPS. Shodan doesn't have a lot of attack signatures which I have implemented in my scripts like the latest SaltStack exploit for instance.

@greattomeetyou said:
    can't you use a cheap dedi?

Suggest some! You are asking questions to which I am seeking answers.

@chihcherng said:
    If you do have permission to scan your client's network, then why not scan from your home network? No one would complain, right? Even if your service provider got some abuse reports, you certainly can show proof of your client's authorization.

My home network speed is pathetic, and not feasible to keep my computer running 247365 for continuous scans. I can even serve websites from Home network, and I do have a old Dell PowerEdge server lying around, but don't have high speed internet out here.

As for your (unquoted) last question, I only run scans against CIDR ranges after verifying that they are part of the ASN of my client. Pretty obvious, and doesn't need verification.