Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why OVH/SYS doesn't provide DA license for VM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why OVH/SYS doesn't provide DA license for VM

SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

Hi,

Its been a while since cPanel increased price and I find it totally unsustainable to maintain its license given we have other good choice. I have servers with SYS and they don't offer DirectAdmin license for VPS or virtual machines, while many providers are giving DA for $5 or free.

I suppose theme for Soyoustart was to provide affordable servers to startups or small time hosters but why love for cPanel @OVH_APAC , @ninzo59 .

I am sure if SYS starts providing DA license even for $5 pm, they will see flock of new guys going there as their hardware and service is better than many and people have been bitten by new cpanel pricing.

I tried to go with new cpanel license pricing but after all these months, it not sustainable for me to stick with it, it feels as if SYS is forcing you to cpanel which I don't want. I don't understand what is that love for cPanel .

Comments

• NicholasOXINicholasOXI Member, Host Rep

Hello,

I've raised this myself to OVH previously (this also applies to SYS), it seems their licence agreement with DirectAdmin only enables them to sell licences for bare-metal services as you can not purchase DirectAdmin licences on both fail-over IPv4 addresses and VMs. A feature request was submitted for this to be added a while ago now but no updates have been provided since. I wouldn't expect this anytime soon.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Contracts and bureaucracy.

You will grow to hate them as you age.

Thanked by 1starservices
  • SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

Well I decided to talk to them further, what I got is even more surprising, their cPanel license starts from 300 domains only. So OVH/SYS assume that all of their customers are already established with 300+ customer base or they are very stupid to pay for 300+ license while they need only 20 , 30 or 40.

And guy did mention their policy and agreement with providers.
    Is it that Oakley Capital, an investment group who also owns Plesk has invested in OVH somehow too ?

I can see there many mid-scale providers offering cpanel for cheap and even for 50 accounts (where cpanel officially has no such offer).

Seriously cPanel is being too bossy , I assume they have some kind of internal agreement with all large providers (I find similar story with Hetzner too) .

It means there is no healthy competition in market which already have too few players and now its clearly against consumers.

Got a reply from them today where I asked why this policy that even for cPanel you are starting with 300 domains, they said they have done on the basis of demand .

So , SYS customers are almost always established hosts only ?

• @Saahib said:
    Got a reply from them today where I asked why this policy that even for cPanel you are starting with 300 domains, they said they have done on the basis of demand .

It is 300 accounts not domains. We have some servers with them using 200+ accounts in a 300 cPanel license :)

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

I think it’s great that OVH offer a 300 cPanel license cheaper than you get the 100 one from cPanel direct.

@jonesolutions said:

@Saahib said:

It is 300 accounts not domains. We have some servers with them using 200+ accounts in a 300 cPanel license :)

Yeah , ofcourse but mostly customers have one domain per account.

@experttechit said:
    I think it’s great that OVH offer a 300 cPanel license cheaper than you get the 100 one from cPanel direct.

Ya, you ought to buy 300 account license even if you have 50 accounts.

the lowest dedicated account limit is 100 and costs more than the 300 account from OVH.

I know some suppliers offer the 50 license for cpanel, but for VPS/Cloud only. The next jump is 100.

@experttechit said:
    the lowest dedicated account limit is 100 and costs more than the 300 account from OVH.

I know some suppliers offer the 50 license for cpanel, but for VPS/Cloud only. The next jump is 100.

Dear,
    You are missing the whole point, when we expect license from provider then its because being internal license, it is generally cheaper, otherwise, cpanel offers license directly also but its costlier.

• @Saahib said:
    Dear,
    You are missing the whole point, when we expect license from provider then its because being internal license, it is generally cheaper, otherwise, cpanel offers license directly also but its costlier.

Are you talking about VPS or Dedicated Server? Because you can't get 50 accounts licence for dedicated server. The minimum for dedicated server is 100 accounts.

Not tried for dedicated but can say that for virtual server, they start with 300 accounts.

edited April 2020

When I ordered VPS they come with either:
    2-5
    6-30

Dedicated seem to start at 300