Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has WebHostingTalk Got Hacked?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Has WebHostingTalk Got Hacked?

MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

I just noticed there are a bunch of spammy threads on WHT. All posted recently.

**agra ads and alike.

What is going on?

Comments

• Someone with xrumer/scrapebox had a busy night.. nothing more.

• Are they still alive?

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

I would feel bad for them, but their staff / mods are all dicks.

Thanked by 1eingress
  • SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

@alexvolk said:
    Are they still alive?

Ofcourse they are , try making a post which is against their policy and next minute you will get warning (and they have plenty of policies).

• LOL I am not sure why providers are still buying sticky threads and cooperate membership, WHT is not popular as it used to be.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@samipy said:
    LOL I am not sure why providers are still buying sticky threads and cooperate membership, WHT is not popular as it used to be.

Their traffic is a fraction of what it used to be.

I also agree that the moderators are a little nutty over there.

Thanked by 1Frameworks
  • @samipy said:
    LOL I am not sure why providers are still buying sticky threads and cooperate membership, WHT is not popular as it used to be.

I always wondered if anyone actually pays $700 a month for a sticky, we all know not loads of money in hosting and if I had a $700 to spend on marketing each month it wouldnt be for a sticky post.

• LeviLevi Member

WHT is dead at this point, no productive discussions, only advertisement dumpster. Just fly away from it and forget. There is LET, hostbals etc.

• IvanIvan Member
    edited March 2020

What are some other communities that you guys would recommend? Where are all the providers hanging out and discussing? I like WHT because there's more datacenter-centric discussions happening there.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@Ivan said:
    What are some other communities that you guys would recommend? Where are all the providers hanging out and discussing? I like WHT because there's more datacenter-centric discussions happening there.

LES and HT

• SynatiqSynatiq Member
    edited March 2020

@starservices said:

@samipy said:

I always wondered if anyone actually pays $700 a month for a sticky, we all know not loads of money in hosting and if I had a $700 to spend on marketing each month it wouldnt be for a sticky post.

You guys are allowed stickies? I get a straight ban for having multiple accounts 7 years ago. And that was with a corporate membership. Then they held me accountable for some Romanian guy's abuse, who admittedly was a reseller of us, but it wasn't me..

Informatech must be loosing a lot from their personal drama.

• @thedp said:

@Ivan said:

LES and HT

Been looking on LES for a bit, I read posts on there but haven't bothered asking for a provider tag as by the look of the rules their not that keen on sole traders.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited March 2020

LTniger said: WHT is dead at this point, no productive discussions, only advertisement dumpster. Just fly away from it and forget. There is LET, hostbals etc.

I don't see any other site being any different to be honest, take away the advertising and the contributions from the advertisers there will be little left. Most are only here for the offers, the discussion is residual.

Lee said: I don't see any other site being any different to be honest, take away the advertising and the contributions from the advertisers there will be little left. Most are only here for the offers, the discussion is residual.

Difference is consumers/users actually come here looking for offers. Traffic is so little at WHT that it's a worthless pit of continually posted offers with little attention from actual buyers.

• LeeLee Veteran

jbiloh said: Difference is consumers/users actually come here looking for offers. Traffic is so little at WHT that it's a worthless pit of continually posted offers with little attention from actual buyers.

Each has their own purpose, but, LET is just as shit as you're making out the competition to be.

Don't forget with HostedTalk and LES you have lost a lot of participation and traffic here, I know what they numbers used to be like here.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited March 2020

Currently, no decent forums at the moment.

LET is rife with scams; lost too much traffic as a result.
    LES is too young and has its own issues.
    Balls has got wrong software to thrive.

WHT was dead back in 2010.

• @starservices said:

@samipy said:

Its not a month they charge $400 a week to get a sticky thread on Dedicated hosting section. Too much expensive to be honest for a dead forum :dizzy:

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited March 2020

samipy said: Its not a month they charge $400 a week to get a sticky thread on Dedicated hosting section. Too much expensive to be honest for a dead forum

it's not too expensive if people are willing to pay it.

• LeeLee Veteran

deank said: Balls has got wrong software to thrive.

The only reason I don't visit, can't stand that discourse shit.

Thanked by 1hostdare
  • SynatiqSynatiq Member
    edited March 2020

And yet you’re all still here. Dying of anticipation for the next $9 a year deal.

Lee said: Each has their own purpose, but, LET is just as shit as you're making out the competition to be.

I don't agree with you on that. I think progress here has been fantastic the past few months. Traffic is way up, too.

deank said: LET is rife with scams; lost too much traffic as a result.

Much improvement is happening here.

Lee said: The only reason I don't visit, can't stand that discourse shit.

Vanilla, while not perfect, I think is a great piece of software for our community and for forums in general. It helps concentrate content thus improving activity.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Check the offers.

• LeeLee Veteran

jbiloh said: I don't agree with you on that. I think progress here has been fantastic the past few months. Traffic is way up, too.

You're a salesman, of course, you don't agree, but it is still no better in terms of content than any of the competition.

Lee said: You're a salesman, of course, you don't agree, but it is still no better in terms of content than any of the competition.

I'm an optimistic who believes that with dedication and hard work you can accomplish a lot. And there is plenty of progress here. :)

Thanked by 21gservers Synatiq
  • UnbelievableUnbelievable Member
    edited March 2020

@jbiloh to get an accurate depiction of increased traffic on LET, I presume you removed traffic from the coronavirus thread and all of the LET angst and make LET great again threads you posted this quarter? Seems those are what drove a lot of clicks and posts. Remove them and that's a serious dent in views and posts. Plus they serve to drive page views which will help when you reset the add rates for your buy/sell ads

Thanked by 1ViridWeb

Unbelievable said: @jbiloh to get an accurate depiction of increased traffic on LET, I presume you removed traffic from the coronavirus thread and all of the LET angst and make LET great again threads you posted this quarter? Seems those are what drove a lot of clicks and posts. Remove them and that's a serious dent in views and posts. Plus they serve to drive page views which will help when you reset the add rates for your buy/sell ads

The data I'm looking at is based on the aggregate of:

1. Impressions
    2. Unique users
    3. New signups
    4. Total comments
    5. New threads

All of those are up dramatically in March vs. December/January for example.

• I've lurked WHT on and off since 2005. Echoing others in that it's a shell of it's former self in terms of activity and clout. What factors do you folks feel led to their fall from grace?

• UnbelievableUnbelievable Member
    edited March 2020

@danceswithpugs I would say signature spamming and the utter asinine nature of their comments. Either sheer repetition of others or the one guy with, "back when I was in the music industry...." oh and the huge volume of "we should build our own panel, it's not that hard..."

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited March 2020

WHT was doomed to fail when the original owner sold it to a corporate in early 2000.

I am unsure whether it was sold again after but the first company did okay, keeping the original owner as a mod. Things got worse after paid membership thingy started to kick in.

At one point, it was obvious that it was becoming a police state with no opinions (that don't align with their views) allowed.

LET's decline is not similar in any way. I say it's due to the tie to LEB more than anything else.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited March 2020

danceswithpugs said: I've lurked WHT on and off since 2005. Echoing others in that it's a shell of it's former self in terms of activity and clout. What factors do you folks feel led to their fall from grace?

The changing face of the web hosting industry and life in general.

Your average hoster does not need to be part of a forum in the same way they did 10 years ago that made WHT so big.

With the rise in popularity of big 'cloud' providers such as DO, there is less of a need to research and find the right host, therefore, less need for forums to be a part of.

For others, there are niche places like LET/LES/HostedTalk that are more appropriate than a general hosting forum.

For those that need help, there are places like the stack* websites that get faster and better responses than forums most of the time.

People are generally less reliant on hosting and hosting forums with all the social media outlets available now. Even software such as Discord has driven a lot of discussions away from forums in general.

The list goes on.