Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do OVH offer older kit at reduced price? If so where?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do OVH offer older kit at reduced price? If so where?

Hi,

I have a few projects that I would like to launch and have seen the OVH network (along with others) is pretty good! My question is, Andy10Gbit seems to offer kit on the OVH Network but at a lower price then what is offered on the OVH Site. Is that because it is Andy's own kit on colocation or is it older OVH kit they know they can sell at a monthly fee for less?

I would ideally like another machine like my current from Andy but cannot find anything close to it price wise on the OVH site!

Specs are:
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1245 V2 @ 3.40GHz
32GB RAM
2x2TB HDD

Cheers!

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2020

Yes, at https://www.kimsufi.com/

But E3 aren't old enough to be offered from there. Check out also https://www.soyoustart.com/, it's another OVH's brand for cheaper servers than on ovh.com.

• @rm_ said:
    Yes, at https://www.kimsufi.com/

But E3 aren't old enough to be offered from there. Check out also https://www.soyoustart.com/, it's another OVH's brand for cheaper servers than on ovh.com.

Do they offer 1Gbps?

• No SYS is 250Mbps i believe, 1Gbps is only through OVH directly but even then a few are 500Mbps

• @WSCallum said:
    No SYS is 250Mbps i believe, 1Gbps is only through OVH directly but even then a few are 500Mbps

Guess the question next is does anywhere offer as good peering on 1Gbps colo then? Or older kit on 1Gbps?

• I'd also like to know how he does it.

Likely he is in contact with OVH as a reseller, not sure if he colo or just resellers the old hardware of OVH and just gets huge discounts.

• king8654king8654 Member
    edited March 2020

Andy buys in bulk and has Servers locked in from past sales, his bandwidth is purchased In blocks, and as a high volume reseller, gets overall better prices. Great guy, little hard to get in contact with, but for the premium his services are top notch.

Could always grab a ex/auction server from hetzner yourself and Google performance tweaks.(Bbr, etc) Ovh/leaseweb peering was not any better than my current hetzner to east coast us

• Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2020

PurpleFuZe said: Specs are:
    32GB RAM
    2x2TB HDD

I have several free servers 1245v2-32ram-3x2sata from flash sale.

1 Gbps is only in Hetzner, cheap as for me.
    In OVH on the main line 1 Gbps.

Many who have gigabit do not even use it to the maximum.

• @Vova1234 said:

PurpleFuZe said: Specs are:
    32GB RAM
    2x2TB HDD

I have several free servers 1245v2-32ram-3x2sata from flash sale.

1 Gbps is only in Hetzner, cheap as for me.
    In OVH on the main line 1 Gbps.

Many who have gigabit do not even use it to the maximum.

Any of them Gigabit at OVH?

• Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider

PurpleFuZe said: Any of them Gigabit at OVH?

Not gbps. Normal server with a sale. I already realized that you are looking for SYS with 1 Gbps.

• OVH said they were going to increase SYS and maybe even Kimsufi (though I could be wrong about KS) to 500mbps like 2 years ago, and it hasn't happened. I'm shocked they haven't at least increased kimsufi to 250mbps, and SYS to 500mbps. 100mbps @ kimsufi is such a dealbreaker.

• @nonissue said:
    OVH said they were going to increase SYS and maybe even Kimsufi (though I could be wrong about KS) to 500mbps like 2 years ago, and it hasn't happened. I'm shocked they haven't at least increased kimsufi to 250mbps, and SYS to 500mbps. 100mbps @ kimsufi is such a dealbreaker.

They were thinking about upgrading SYS to 500Mbps, but they faced some difficulties about it. No plans about KS. They have doubled OVH main line bw last year tho, but soon after they reverted it back as reported by a few individuals here so I'd say not worth to wait for them to do anything about SYS/KS or believe in their "upgrade announcements" on twitter :smiley:

• I just found the original tweet — it didn't include KS, but it did unequivocally state that they were increasing SYS to 500mbps for all customers (new and existing). It was tweeted in Oct 2018. Here we are 18 months later and nothing. Brutal.

• Electr0man said: They have doubled OVH main line bw last year tho, but soon after they reverted it back

I think this was a quick reaction to Hetzner, but I don't recall the exact timeline.