Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Provider panel issue
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Provider panel issue

Hi,

I was thinking about a real issue with all of our providers.
Each provider is using WHMCS, or Blesta, or HostBill, and I understand it, because all of theses softwares all complete, and perfect for accounting, and management aspect. Even if WHMCS is not so logic specially with navbar/menus, and not really user-friendly.

But no ones cares about user experience?

To manage VPS: SolusVM, Virtualizor, etc
To manage web hosting: cPanel, Plesk, etc
To manage game servers: Pterodactyl, TCAdmin, etc

That's so problematic and not very egregious...
Why small/medium providers don't think about it?

Why not create an all-in-one panel/software solution, where we can integrate billing, support and service management area?

Let me know what do you think about that...

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Why don't you make one for us

• TejyTejy Member

@MikeA said:
    Why don't you make one for us

The reason why I created this topic, is that to know if providers really need, and want an all-in-one solution, etc.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@Tejy said: Why not create an all-in-one panel/software solution, where we can integrate billing, support and service management area?

Congrats on your first post

• TejyTejy Member

@angstrom said:

@Tejy said: Why not create an all-in-one panel/software solution, where we can integrate billing, support and service management area?

Thanks. That's a real question. Does provider need this kind of solution? What they're expecting of this kind of software, etc.

@Tejy said:

@angstrom said:

Thanks. That's a real question. Does provider need this kind of solution? What they're expecting of this kind of software, etc.

I'm sure that you mean the question sincerely, but the question is abstract in the sense that people can want a lot of things that aren't available to them. Naturally, an all-in-one solution that would meet every provider's needs would be great, but so what? What would the product look like, how much would it cost, how would migration look like? These are more concrete questions.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • SpryServers_TabSpryServers_Tab Member, Host Rep

There is one. HostBill does this.

Thanked by 2angstrom coreflux
  • TejyTejy Member

@angstrom said:

@Tejy said:

@angstrom said:

I'm sure that you mean the question sincerely, but the question is abstract in the sense that people can want a lot of things that aren't available to them. Naturally, an all-in-one solution that would meet every provider's needs would be great, but so what? What would the product look like, how much would it cost, how would migration look like? These are more concrete questions.

I fully understand it. But before all of theses question, and maybe a potential future all-in-one solution, I want to know why providers haven't already developed/created this kind of solution. I know that cloud leaders (Vultr, Linode, Scaleway, Hetnzer, etc) have their own client area, but for us, low and mid-range providers, why?

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

@Tejy

UX can always be controlled even if you're using WHMCS / Blesta, if a provider really cares and has the resources to spend, he/she would spend it on UI/UX only IF a customer really cares.

Majority of the client base don't give a shit about UI/UX post ordering. They only want access to a functional server to carry on with their day to day activities. How much time do you think an average user spends looking on a website once he/she completes the ordering procedure?

Looks matter when we're dealing with self-service platforms like Digital Ocean, Scaleway, AWS, etc. So, coming back to requiring an all in one solution, I think you should consider many factors such as how will you meet compliances, how will you get funding for it and how will you attract clients for your system, what technologies are you going to use?

You can't expect serious businesses to magically migrate to your solution overnight right?

Thanked by 1armandorg
  • TejyTejy Member

@BharatB said:
    @Tejy

UX can always be controlled even if you're using WHMCS / Blesta, if a provider really cares and has the resources to spend, he/she would spend it on UI/UX only IF a customer really cares.

Majority of the client base don't give a shit about UI/UX post ordering. They only want access to a functional server to carry on with their day to day activities. How much time do you think an average user spends looking on a website once he/she completes the ordering procedure?

Looks matter when we're dealing with self-service platforms like Digital Ocean, Scaleway, AWS, etc. So, coming back to requiring an all in one solution, I think you should consider many factors such as how will you meet compliances, how will you get funding for it and how will you attract clients for your system, what technologies are you going to use?

You can't expect serious businesses to magically migrate to your solution overnight right?

Thanks for your complete answer. I can understand that lot of customers don't care about UI/UX. But do you don't think that a really good user-experience can grab you new customers? More it's easy to manage a server (or another service), more you got customers.

About a potential all-in-one solution, I still haven't figured out how to convince and attract providers to use my software. That's a good thing. Offers migration tool, and a really good UX, with some amazing features in backend can be nice...?

• TejyTejy Member

@SpryServers_Tab said:

You're right... That's the only company which tries to make something really different.

@Tejy said:

@SpryServers_Tab said:

You're right... That's the only company which tries to make something really different.

So why haven't all providers migrated to HostBill?

Thanked by 1coreflux
  • TejyTejy Member

@angstrom said:

@Tejy said:

@SpryServers_Tab said:

I'm not a provider. That why I'm asking you. HostBill "try" to make something different, but the UX isn't perfect, and must be improved.

@angstrom said:

@Tejy said:

@SpryServers_Tab said:

Because it's extremely expensive up front, and they offer almost no migration options. In the long run, it's cheaper, as the licenses are lifetime, but it's a hefty initial investment. Low end providers can't afford it, and hosts that can afford it but started with something else will have a hell of a time migrating.

Thanked by 1coreflux
  • TejyTejy Member

@SpryServers_Tab said:

@angstrom said:

@Tejy said:

@SpryServers_Tab said:

Because it's extremely expensive up front, and they offer almost no migration options. In the long run, it's cheaper, as the licenses are lifetime, but it's a hefty initial investment. Low end providers can't afford it, and hosts that can afford it but started with something else will have a hell of a time migrating.

+1. Their first offer starts at 599$, and for their brand new theme (2019), that's 199$.
    Updates aren't included. Few years ago, HostBill was like WHMCS with a monthly subscription model.

• HaendlerITHaendlerIT Member, Host Rep

We were actually planning to switch to HostBill and decided against it after one of our customers switched back to WHMCS.

I think every system has its weaknesses and strengths.
    So there is really nothing left for the optimal management system than to develop a system that is tailored to your needs. Of course it is a gigantic expenditure in terms of functionality to remain competitive with the large providers.

Thanked by 1SpryServers_Tab

@GameTownProjects said:
    We were actually planning to switch to HostBill and decided against it after one of our customers switched back to WHMCS.

I think every system has its weaknesses and strengths.
    So there is really nothing left for the optimal management system than to develop a system that is tailored to your needs. Of course it is a gigantic expenditure in terms of functionality to remain competitive with the large providers.

You're absolutely right. The only way to truly have a cohesive experience would be to develop your own proprietary system. Everything HAS to be modular, as every host is too different to make a one size fits all.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2020

I paid for HostBill, and while I don't use it at the moment it's definitely a great piece of software now. They push updates literally weekly, and has a ton of maintained (well working, unlike WHMCS) addons and features. The admin end is harder to work with, but maybe that's just because I haven't gotten too used to it.

Thanked by 1coreflux
  • @Tejy said:
    Hi,

I was thinking about a real issue with all of our providers.
    Each provider is using WHMCS, or Blesta, or HostBill, and I understand it, because all of theses softwares all complete, and perfect for accounting, and management aspect. Even if WHMCS is not so logic specially with navbar/menus, and not really user-friendly.

But no ones cares about user experience?

To manage VPS: SolusVM, Virtualizor, etc
    To manage web hosting: cPanel, Plesk, etc
    To manage game servers: Pterodactyl, TCAdmin, etc

That's so problematic and not very egregious...
    Why small/medium providers don't think about it?

Why not create an all-in-one panel/software solution, where we can integrate billing, support and service management area?

One of the main reason behind us using Virtualizor was, you can access and manage every aspect of the panel within whmcs client area and that is exactly how we setup customers access.

IMHO, one unified login and portal makes perfect sense,

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2020

I know that cloud leaders (Vultr, Linode, Scaleway, Hetnzer, etc) have their own client area

You answered your question. The providers that could make this worth developing already have their own software development teams and maintain their own panels. You could build this if you want, and people would be interested, but you won't make a lot of money relative to the effort since you'll be selling to a small number of small providers.

Relatedly, it's much easier to build a panel for your own business than to build a general, highly customizable solution that works for everyone.

• armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

Regarding UX/UI , all the billing platforms you mentioned can be designed or modfied as per the company's request to make those extreemly easy / modernish. The default WHMCS/Blesta.. theme/menu order/style... does not mean you're stuck with those for life.

What you mean to say, and i totally agree with you, that it will be an extra investment to get that beautiful/sexy/modernish/easytouse design on one of the billing platforms you mentioned, ofcourse if you're not satisfied with the already integrated ones.

In terms of another billing platform, the market is flooded. At least for paid ones. If you tend to work and release something completely free like boxbilling [but with proper updates], than i would say why haven't you started already : )

And UI/UX matters, at least if you want to grab more new clients.

• imokimok Member
    edited March 2020

Cloudcone and HostHatch are good examples on how to use custom panels for end users on top WHMCS or SolusVM.

EDIT: Or maybe HostHatch wasn't. I'm not sure anymore.

• DataWagonDataWagon Member, Patron Provider

@Tejy said:

This is exactly what we're working on and are planning to roll out in a few months :)

• TejyTejy Member

@DataWagon said:

@Tejy said:

This is exactly what we're working on and are planning to roll out in a few months :)

Hello! :)
    Thanks for answering at this topic.
    Let's talk in DM?
    Thanks

• +1 vmhaus, their billing is great, some provider had their own minimum balance (above ~$3) before able to create VM.