Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for recommendations: Mail-friendly US-based LEB providers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for recommendations: Mail-friendly US-based LEB providers

ggwwbbggwwbb Member
edited March 2020 in Requests

We do a lot of political e-mail and the complaint rate can run high, even with opt-in. I am worried about setting up a multi-SMTP-server solution and having my main server suddenly disappear because some VPS vendor decided they got one complaint too many.

In your experience, which US VPS providers are most likely to cut us some slack? Or, conversely, who do I want to avoid at all costs?

(Let's assume I've done everything else right -- servers are warmed up and have a good reputation, I'm on all the appropriate feedback loops, etc.)

Many thanks in advance!

VZ Type: Any

Cores/RAM/Disk Space: 1CPU/1GB RAM for SMTP servers; 4-8GB RAM for hub server

Bandwidth: Anything reasonable
Port Speed: Anything reasonable

DDoS Protection: No

Number of IPs: 1 per SMTP server; 1-3 for main server

Budget: <$10/mo USD for 1GB/1CPU

Billing period: Ideally, monthly

Comments

• angstromangstrom Moderator

Congrats on your first post

Good luck with your budget

No low-end provider is going to provide a VPS for high-volume mail at that price

You should choose a dedicated mail service (but even then, it may be tricky)

• Just use Amazon SES and Sendy, and do everything in your power to keep the complaint rate low. It's not like you have that many options for bulk political mailings within that budget.

• Well, the budget was essentially pulled out of my backside by looking at generic VPS providers. We'll adjust the budget whatever to more or less whatever it needs to be to solve for the problem.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

An email service provider is going to be your best bet with this requirement - but even someone who specializes in email is unlikely to tolerate a high volume of complaints.

• nodesecnodesec Member
    edited March 2020

I think list cleaning and making various categories of emails can help you solve this problem.
    Have 2-3 backup servers use to clean your mailing list.

make various categories of people.

email openers, email openers + link clicker, remove bounce, unsubscribe clickers, etc.

By this method, even amazon SES works well for the categorized list, you get insane ctr.
    yep, its a little bit time-consuming.

Thanked by 1ggwwbb
  • @nodesec you think like I do. :)

We're all about having a couple pools for the infrastructure: "rough" hosts that handle initial mailings (we check for email validity so, even with these, bounce rates should be good) and "polished" hosts once we know someone wants ongoing communication.

• SpryServers_TabSpryServers_Tab Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2020

If you follow all the laws and rules, and take action when a complaint is received, we are able to help you out.