Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Newbie question] Why ping to IPv6 is very fast compare to IPv4 on same server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Newbie question] Why ping to IPv6 is very fast compare to IPv4 on same server?

gianggiang Veteran
edited March 2020 in General

I just found that on my home network, ping to an IPv6 address is very slow fast, just about 2-3ms, but with the same location, same server, IPv4 will return slower result.

This is normal or there is something wrong with my ISP/network?

Here is a test result with BuyVM Las Vegas for example.

TraceRT IPv6:

TraceRT IPv4:

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2020

giang said: ping to an IPv6 address is very slow, just about 2-3ms

That's very fast, not slow. And yes, there's something weird at your ISP, looks like they make something inside their network answer pings to IPs that don't belong to them.

Try ping/tracert to ipv6.google.com and 2001:470:20::2, see if they got the same 2ms result.

Check what https://test-ipv6.com/ shows for you, to see if IPv6 is actually working, and only the ping is weird, or it's not actually working at all.

Thanked by 1giang
  • gianggiang Veteran

@rm_ said:

giang said: ping to an IPv6 address is very slow, just about 2-3ms

That's very fast, not slow. And yes, there's something weird at your ISP, looks like they make something inside their network answer pings to IPs that don't belong to them.

Try ping/tracert to ipv6.google.com and 2001:470:20::2, see if they got the same 2ms result.

Check what https://test-ipv6.com/ shows for you, to see if IPv6 is actually working, and only the ping is weird, or it's not actually working at all.

My IPv6 address is working fine, I'm running dual stack IPv4 and IPv6 but just enable IPv6 few days ago.

Here are ping/tracert results to the given IPs:

• Should be your ISP doing hijack. It is simply impossible to get 2ms from Vietnam to the US.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

That doesn’t look right.

Thanked by 1giang
  • gianggiang Veteran

@Kousaka said:
    Should be your ISP doing hijack. It is simply impossible to get 2ms from Vietnam to the US.

Yes, maybe but why only IPv6? They should do the same on IPv4 too...

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Thanked by 1ViridWeb
  • klikliklikli Member
    edited March 2020

giang said: Yes, maybe but why only IPv6?

Maybe they don't really configure IPv6 properly? A misconfigured IPv6 network will mostly be unnoticed thanks to happy eyeballs

Thanked by 1Daniel15
  • It definitely looks like they’re doing some NAT64 within their network. Do you have a public IPv6 Address assigned to your house?

Would also suggest doing a trace from BuyVM to your home on v6.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2020

klikli said: Maybe they don't really configure IPv6 properly? A misconfigured IPv6 network will mostly be unnoticed thanks to

As I suggested https://test-ipv6.com/ would be the first place to check.

rmlhuk said: It definitely looks like they’re doing some NAT64 within their network

No it does not. NAT64 allows IPv6-only clients to access IPv4-only sites by translating IPv4 addresses into IPv6 within a special designated prefix. None of that is at play here, the IPs that are pinged are not IPv4-only, and the special prefix doesn't appear anywhere in screenshots.