Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which is the better one?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which is the better one?

I was recently migrated from an OpenVZ container to a KVM. However I noticed I am on a slower machine now, but with more cores. Was this a fair trade? Just wondering if I am still getting close enough in performance. Seems to be fine... but I'm not an expert on VPS's.

Comments

• hzrhzr Member

ANY kvm is better than ovz.

• It depends a lot on what you are doing with it. A surprising number of tasks are single threaded, so it changes in how helpful it is for sure

• The more things you do with it, the better the KVM is. Also, KVM just has way less limitations. openvz has nonstop kernel and firewall limitations and CSF firewall just announced they'll no longer support Openvz/Virtuozzo. Openvz just gets more useless and limited each day.

Have several useless idling openvz's waiting for migration to Openvz7 but taking for ages on one provider and delayed until next year for another. sigh I think some Openvz providers haven't factored in how much long term business they'll lose running shitty openvz6 this long while slowly losing customers to other providers running KVM.

Thanked by 1niceboy
  • Never new that csf is stopping openvz support.

Just stopped csf auto updates on few of my openvz boxes. thanks.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • KVM is better in many ways. In terms of specs the CPU is slower, but you have 4 cores on the KVM box vs 2 on the OVZ one. Unless what you're running is single threaded, you'll benefit in the long run.

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2020

KVM is indeed better in so so many ways. However, in terms of total GHz you won quite a bit, but those are indeed slower cores - and older by the looks of it? (then again, Intel so does not matter that much as they got stagnated). Is your use determined by single core or multi core performance?
    how is the storage? If you got from HDD to NVMe it was a gigantic jump in those terms.

It all depends on Your particular use case what matters most to you.

• wibwib Member

@PulsedMedia said:
    KVM is indeed better in so so many ways. However, in terms of total GHz you won quite a bit, but those are indeed slower cores - and older by the looks of it? (then again, Intel so does not matter that much as they got stagnated). Is your use determined by single core or multi core performance?
    how is the storage? If you got from HDD to NVMe it was a gigantic jump in those terms.

It all depends on Your particular use case what matters most to you.

It is mainly using NGINX as a reverse proxy. It also has a SQL database but I have moved most handling of SQL queries over to replication slaves on servers at my home. I have tried to make the VPS use as little CPU as possible. It also has OpenVPN for the connection to the other servers. So NGINX would be the most heavy user of this VPS.

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

Ok sounds like it's been overall win for you. Nginx and SQL can handle many threads with proper scaling no probs! :)

This is a big upgrade for your use case in that case

• wibwib Member

• KVM is much better in terms of usage & performance than OpenVZ. As whatever yours needs are, KVM has a capability to perform.