Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to Implement Multiple CDN
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to Implement Multiple CDN

Hi all, my question may be ask incorrectly kindly correct me if am asking wrong question.

The client requirement for a WordPress site is to have and Always Online features, a possibility of having the site hosted on two server A and B having same content, whereby when on server A is down the site server B will continue to serve the website, without affecting posting and content creation capability.

AT first I recommended CDN but this seems go beyond what I understand on the functionality of CDN. My superior mentioned co-hosting but i cannot find anything online relating to that except for colocation which is totally different from the above case.

Any help and suggestion to the case will be appreciated - Thanks

Comments

• I don't think you need multiCDN for that.

Try using DNS based failover or ratio based like Route 53 (could be cheapest option out there):
    https://docs.aws.amazon.com/Route53/latest/DeveloperGuide/dns-failover-configuring.html

You can use cloudfare and their load balancer as well on the other hand.

Thanked by 1benYahweh
  • PUSHR_VictorPUSHR_Victor Member, Host Rep

Two servers by two different providers in two different DCs + a CDN that can proxy the whole website and do load balancing with failover between multiple origins sounds like what you need.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited March 2020

Cloudflare besides Load Balancer, now has Zero Downtime Failover DNS too https://blog.cloudflare.com/new-tools-to-monitor-your-server-and-avoid-downtime/

Zero-Downtime Failover
    What’s better than getting notified about downtime? Never having downtime in the first place! With Zero-Downtime Failover, we can automatically retry requests to origin, even before Load Balancing kicks in.

How does it work? If a request to your origin fails, and Cloudflare has another record for your origin server, we’ll just try another origin within the same HTTP request. The alternate record could be either an A/AAAA record configured via Cloudflare DNS, or another origin server in the same Load Balancing pool.

Consider an website, example.com, that has web servers at two different IP addresses: 203.0.113.1 and 203.0.113.2. Before Zero-Downtime Failover, if 203.0.113.1 becomes unavailable, Cloudflare would attempt to connect, fail, and ultimately serve an error page to the user. With Zero-Downtime Failover, if 203.0.113.1 cannot be reached, then Cloudflare’s proxy will seamlessly attempt to connect to 203.0.113.2. If the second server can respond, then Cloudflare can avert serving an error to example.com’s user.

Since we rolled Zero-Downtime Failover a few weeks ago, we’ve prevented tens of millions of requests per day from failing!

benYahweh said: The client requirement for a WordPress site is to have and Always Online features, a possibility of having the site hosted on two server A and B having same content, whereby when on server A is down the site server B will continue to serve the website, without affecting posting and content creation capability.

Proper high availability/failover will cost you and you clients 100s or 1000s of dollars to implement and would require know-how for every level from DNS, web server, database server, data storage layer based high availability and failover. Cloudflare Zero Downtime Failover DNS would only tackle the DNS part.

For folks on a budget, easiest and cheapest thing to do is a failover at DNS level to a maintenance/notice static HTML page rather than a copy of your site to ensure during downtime, you have an informational page for visitors rather than just an error message. Static HTML page may link to your social media accounts, contain status updates and even advertising to keep visitors informed and keep your ad revenues rolling etc.

Thanked by 2Mariomk benYahweh