Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner SX Series Reliability
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner SX Series Reliability

feldmanfeldman Member
edited March 2020 in Providers

Does anyone have any experience with the SX series from Hetzner, specifically the SX132 model? High failure rate of the 10TB drives or has it been totally fine?

I've been using an OVH storage server that I grabbed from the Black Friday deals they offered in 2018 and while it has not had any issues, some recent dmesg errors have got me paranoid about this secondary backup solution for customers plus it's nearly full.

Comments

• LeviLevi Member

Where is the problem when they replace drives?

• To be honest i had a few Hetzner servers going from Auction, AX, EX and i used them also to download and for my cloud i never had an issue with the 2x2tb disks i had in 2 years even if i was using ultra high i/o things like game hosting or seeding. And their support is really fast but i would still apply a raid on your config too.

Thanked by 2feldman Hetzner_OL
  • Yeah, I'm just curious because I don't see very many providers offering 10TB disk sizes. I will for sure be utilizing a raid.

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

The order page says they're enterprise drives. Can't comment on the 10tb drives but I've got a Hetzner box with 3tb enterprise drives on and they're fine at 70k hours.

You could ask their support what model drives they use and check history on them, but that wouldn't stop a random failure from happening, as can happen.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • I have several 10tb hdd enterprise drives in several hetzner servers.

Those are all Seagate Enterprise models (mostly No. ST10000NM0156-2AA111 ), all several years old but running strong in my servers since ~ 12 month.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • enricodiasenricodias Member
    edited March 2020

I have several servers in the SX line with 15 x 6 TB drives and I get about 3 failures per year per server.

• Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2020

I bought myself such a server(4 x 10TB SATA) for storage.

Without Raid 0. 1 folder = 1 drive.

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

@enricodias That's sounds like high rate, however, it could still statistically be possible if you simply had bad luck. If you are concerned about this, and you haven't done so already, please contact our support team. --Katie

• @Hetzner_OL it's a fairly normal rate due to the age of the drives. I run raid6, so thats not an issue for me.