Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for dedicated server to host social media site
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for dedicated server to host social media site

Mik3NLMik3NL Member
edited March 2020 in Requests

Hey,

I'm looking to host my own social media site for an online GTA V community but I do not have that much experience with running servers that have higher traffic. I'm looking for suggestions on what type of server I would need and how said server can be optimized the best way (or the host helping with optimizing).

The server should be able to handle 5k connections which would be enough for me. The website is contains a lot of ajax requests so that means lots of requests, it's ran with PHP and Mysql. I'm trying to ensure my CPU doesn't get overloaded with MYSQL and that it deadlocks.

My budget is around €50-70 for a server in Europe. Not the highest but I hope it would do.

Comments

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider

Dedicated Server Xeon E5-2643-V1-8GB-480SSD Specifications

CPU - Intel Xeon QuadCore E5-2643-V1 3.30Ghz
    Cores/Threads - 4 Cores, 8 Threads
    RAM - 8GB DDR3 ECC RAM
    SSD/HDD - 480GB SSD
    Port Speed - 1 Gbps
    IP Addresse(s) - 1
    KVM/Managment - Yes
    DDoS Protection - 100Gbps (Shared) Corero SmartWall
    Location - Lelystad, Netherlands (EU)

45€ / month. NO SETUP FEE!
    https://hostslick.com/clients/cart.php?a=add&pid=204&currency=3

Order within 24/48h from now and Get it for 35€/month
    Discount code: S5LG28GJ1K

Check others aswell: https://hostslick.com/dedicated.php

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2020

You want fast CPU, fast RAM, fast storage for hosting a site like that.

This hits all your marks: https://pulsedmedia.com/zen-minidedi.php

Example config:
    CPU: Ryzen 3400G 4c/8t 3.7-4.2Ghz
    RAM: 32GB 3000Mhz DDR4 Dual Channel
    Storage: A-DATA SX8200 Pro 1000GB NVMe
    Network: 1Gbps Unmetered
    Monthly: 42.96€ montly - no setup fee despite being custom built to order.
    There is annual payment discount as well.

• sgno1sgno1 Member

32GB?

sgno1 said: 32GB?

Yes, 32GB total on that example config, 2x16GB modules to be exact.

• sgno1sgno1 Member

@PulsedMedia said:

sgno1 said: 32GB?

Yes, 32GB total on that example config, 2x16GB modules to be exact.

Feels like a bit of an overkill to me. I'm pretty sure OP can rent a decent server with a smaller budget.

• Hetzner AX41-NVMe: 39 euro monthly (+39 euro setup) for Ryzen 5 3600, 64GB RAM (+5 euro for ECC), 2*512GB NVMe, 1Gbps unmetered (pretty decent network, with DTAG now). Pretty sure it's the best deal overall for a dedi right now.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • Hey, thank you guys for your comments. I'll be checking them out!

• Is this website already setup or is it new? Seems like a lot of connections for a community website.

If you’ve little experience managing a server you’re probably at the very least going to need a control panel and some basic security setup.

You might be better with a managed VPS, communities and forums don’t use as much resources as you may think.

Thanked by 1sgno1
  • AvoroAvoro Member, Host Rep

What do you think of a vServer with dedicated resources ? We already host some very large German GTA 5 communities :)

sgno1 said: Feels like a bit of an overkill to me. I'm pretty sure OP can rent a decent server with a smaller budget.

We offer full customization, 16GB would be a few euros per month less yes, but even with 32GB it is still within his budget :) I don't see a problem getting more than you ask for if it's still within your budget and might make your app run better.

• spectraipspectraip Member, Patron Provider

SpectraIP is a large server provider in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.

SpectraIP offers virtual servers, dedicated servers and colocation on a rock-solid redundantly connected network (AS62068), connected to redundant fibre-optic connections, redundant cooling and power connection. We have a monthly uptime guarantee of 99.9%. Our servers are located in the Amsterdam area (Netherlands).

Dedicated server: Supermicro X9
    - Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2 CPU (6C/12T 2.1 GHz)
    - 32 GB DDR3 RAM
    - 480 GB SSD storage
    - 1 IPv4 address
    - /48 IPv6 subnet
    - 1 Gbit network uplink
    - 25 TB monthly bandwidth

One time Setup Fee € 0.00
    Recurring (Monthly) € 39.00

The server can be cancelled monthly.

Please email ([email protected]) or send a message on Skype (username: spectraip) to order.

Additional discount:
    Quarterly payment: 5% discount
    Payment per half year: 10% discount
    Payment per year: 15% discount

Payment methods:

• PayPal
    • Creditcard
    • Bitcoins
    • Altcoins
    • Wire transfer
    • iDEAL
    • MisterCash

SpectraIP B.V.

Network: AS62068
    Contact details: https://spectraip.net/contact
    Dutch CoC number: 70348677

Business address:
    Bruynvisweg 11
    1531 AX Wormer
    Netherlands

• @WSCallum said:
    Is this website already setup or is it new? Seems like a lot of connections for a community website.

If you’ve little experience managing a server you’re probably at the very least going to need a control panel and some basic security setup.

You might be better with a managed VPS, communities and forums don’t use as much resources as you may think.

It will be a social media website, not just a community forum. There's loads of ajax requests. Yes I do think 5k connections is overkill and I won't reach that but I like to future proof my server. Thanks for all the comments I'll go through them and select a server that serves my needs.

• sgno1sgno1 Member
    edited March 2020

@Mik3NL said:

@WSCallum said:
    Is this website already setup or is it new? Seems like a lot of connections for a community website.

It will be a social media website, not just a community forum. There's loads of ajax requests. Yes I do think 5k connections is overkill and I won't reach that but I like to future proof my server. Thanks for all the comments I'll go through them and select a server that serves my needs.

Better to get something a bit cheaper and have an upgrade option in case you do need it near the future, you'll be saving yourself a lot of money. As WSCallum said Community Forums or a site does not use many resources. I think you'd still be fine with something around 8G-16G you'd probably need more CPU Power though and BW if you are getting a lot of connections/requests.