Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Issues with porkbun, incase any one may help - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Issues with porkbun, incase any one may help

Comments

• oborsethoborseth Member, Host Rep

Afilias, the registry, sent us a demand to suspend the domain. I'm going to see what is going on and why you were not first contacted.

• srch07srch07 Member
    edited November 2020

@oborseth Thanks for the follow-up.

I would definitely understand if there was a logic behind it and will work out to resolve it. But without understanding the reason, I just can't clap with one hand you know.

At the very least, you guys should be able to answer at first-time domain owner enquires, why was it suspended and what will be the process to resolve issue, which lead to suspension.

It will not make any sense if the domain would be suspended and a registrar won't be able to answer the reason for 7 days. Only other cases that I know something like this was way back when megashare was suspended directly at ICANN level and the registrar had no clue for a week.

Luckily it's a new domain, the impact would have been quite bad if it was an active domain.

• Move domain(s) away. Even one incident is enough.

I totally understand your frustration. Believe me, I'm 100% against taking action and not communicating clearly with the registrant. If anything was done inappropriately it will lead to a policy change on our end.

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • Reading this thread for the first time and I've recently moved multiple domains from porkbun but I still have some with them. @oborseth, do you guys still do automatic suspends if google safe browsing starts triggering an alert or customers do actually get a notification about it which should be how it works in the first place?
    As @LTniger pointed, one incident is enough and it's hard to believe a registrar could suspend your domain just like that with no warning whatsoever. This gets me worried in case of some false positive or a situation where I would need access to my domain to fix an issue as fast as possible.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • I've generally been pretty happy with Porkbun, but this thread lol.

I started using Porkbun a couple years back with transferring a lot of domains over and I was planning on transferring a lot more over but I'm not so sure now. I see that they've temporarily disabled the Google Monopoly check, but who knows when it'll come back or what other idiotic things might be going on.

Honestly though I could forgive using the Google safe browsing shit if they did the most basic checks to make sure it even applied, such as checking if the domain was registered after it was on the Google blacklist and not taking action then. This shouldn't be particularly difficult to implement and would not decrease the effectiveness of any gain from the Google safe browsing data while simultaneously ensuring good consumer experience. or as others have suggested sending a warning before immediate suspension on the basis of a potentially unreliable third party blacklist. But they couldn't be bothered to do these things so I'm wondering how much they care now, that's what bothers me more than this particular instance.

I hope @oborseth can make some worthwhile and convincing changes/commitments to improve things to reassure wary customers like me they won't need to worry about things like this going forward.

@kalimov622 Suspensions are rare. Typically if a registry asks for a domain to be suspended our hands are tied, but we should also communicate clearly with the registrant in those cases (which we failed to do here but will not in the future). We only auto suspend domains that are hosted with us AND if the abuse lands us on any blacklists which would affect other users of our hosting platforms. Unfortunately, there are some blacklists and forms of abuse that cause certain infrastructure providers to give us 24 hours to get removed before we ourselves get shutdown, so we have to take action quickly. All of that said, there are many choices in registrars and you have to use who you're comfortable with. I do think you'd be hard pressed to find one that is so willing to adapt policy based on learned experiences and be as open and transparent in how they deal with abuse complaints, etc.

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • FritzFritz Veteran
    edited November 2020

I'm having some domains in Porkbun.

I'm considering to move them now. Thanks for pointing this out.

Edit: even LET is listed in one of malware and antivirus check websites (CRDF Labs) but not found in Google Safe Web fortunately.

• I am planning to get a domain on porkbun. Lucky I found this. Keeping my distance awaaaay. It is crazy that they are basing their actions when google can be wrong sometimes. They should have manually verified your domain's content and notified you. :-(

Thanked by 1ralph
  • @Fritz said:
    I'm having some domains in Porkbun.

I'm considering to move them now. Thanks for pointing this out.

At least they admitted to their mistake, listened to their clients and fixed the issue in a short time.
    How many registrars you know that'd do the same thing?

Thanked by 3BBTN TimboJones jaden
  • @lokuzard said: How many registrars you know that'd do the same thing?

I don't know any other registrar that would have an executive personally respond to you on an unrelated web forum tbh

• Adam1Adam1 Member
    edited November 2020

@oborseth said: There's not much we can do about it other than have you go through their process of getting it delisted.

Well that's not true is it? You sold the domain to the client, so you know when the domain has started afresh, I would say it's safe to assume the domain is not registered by the previous registrant and not pointed at the same server, so you should at the very least, check if the domain is flagged with google during the registration process.

With this in mind, you should only then impliment your policy, if a domain was not flagged with google at the time of registration and only subsequently flagged.

It's unfair that you allow someone to register a domain, with this policy in place, but do not provide any warnings that you own policies will make the domain unusable.

Thanks to OP for alering me to this practice, I for one will be moving all of my domains away from porkbun ASAP.

• the idea moving your domain away from porkbun somehow changes regulations every domain registrar has to abide by makes no sense

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • @jamuja said: Porkbun is cheap but the support team has serious issues. I moved out of porkbun to save my sanity.

I confirm that. Their support team have behavioural issues. Once I asked them about implementing API for customers to easily manage bulk amounts of domains. The customer support was so rude that it felt to me I was a poor street kid begging them. :'(

• @SirFoxy said:
    the idea moving your domain away from porkbun somehow changes regulations every domain registrar has to abide by makes no sense

Absolutely no. Nja.la domain service is nothing like that. They contact you, discuss with you and find solution to a problem. If that is not possible, than domain is restricted.

Main problem that pork is automating everything, this is understandable, they want cut costs. But for some peeps their domains is a whole business and domain registrar should be trustworthy, able to communicate and resolve arriving problems FAST.

• Suspending domain without first trying to clear things with domain-owner is not exactly customer friendly. IMHO it should be done in exceptional cases, and sure not by some auto-script...

Thanked by 1Boogeyman
  • @SirFoxy said:
    the idea moving your domain away from porkbun somehow changes regulations every domain registrar has to abide by makes no sense

At least they should move someplace safer that checks if the abuse actually occurred in first place. Once PDR sent me a mail that they will suspend one of my customers domain for phishing abuse that didn't occur at all(the domain was pointed to a host that is dead). Then I contacted them. They said it was .top registry that forwarded them this abuse report. I don't always blame registrars. Sometimes it is the registry that don't care much. Registrars are tied with them if they want to offer that extension. "Luckily" ICANN don't want to bother at all.

• I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones who only have a small number (15) of domains with them that haven't been affected by what others are describing.

Thanked by 2oborseth Shamli
  • raknazraknaz Member
    edited November 2020

removed

Just to follow up, a policy change has officially been made on our end. Abuse notices from registries will now be bounced back to the registry if definitive and verifiable proof of illegal activity or substantial abuse, such as phishing or malware distribution, is not provided. To be honest, the registry will probably still suspend the domain on their end but we will no longer take the action ourselves.

Some folks seem to be commenting about our old policy of suspending domains that get placed on the Google Safe Browsing list. To clarify, we no longer do this unless the domain is using our DNS and only suspend if it remains on the list for over 24 hours AND is using our hosting services. The reason for this is that it adversely affects other domains hosted on our platforms by putting our IP addresses on blacklists themselves, which is obviously unacceptable. The process for when this happens is that we 1) remove our hosting DNS records and name servers from the domain to prevent our IPs from getting blacklisted 2) notify the user of the action taken and that the domain will be suspended if it remains on the list for over 24 hours. We have not had a single issue since switching over to this method.

• Just to share my experience with PB; they did the same thing to one of my domain - suspension without any notice, just because I was hosting some Github project that was referencing some images from another website. They told me it was a phishing site just because it had a login screen and some images the was called from an API. I was using Cloudflare NS all the time and they suspended the domain from registrar level. The site was just alive for less than a month and they've gone crazy with the suspension for no valid reason. The support manager was also very rude and uncompassionate to a paying customer, kept telling me that I was hosting a phishing site, enforcing his false beliefs like he knows the code just because of the login screen and some images. I was pissed off with the rude attitude and transferred my domains to another registrar and never had any issue since. Won't even bother with this registrar anymore.

Thanked by 1JasonM

@r0xz If you wouldn't mind, can you DM me what your Porkbun username was and the domain in question? What you just explained is unacceptable and I'd like to look into it.

Thanked by 1jonatha
  • @Boogeyman said:

@jamuja said: Porkbun is cheap but the support team has serious issues. I moved out of porkbun to save my sanity.

I confirm that. Their support team have behavioural issues. Once I asked them about implementing API for customers to easily manage bulk amounts of domains. The customer support was so rude that it felt to me I was a poor street kid begging them. :'(

Please post your request and response.

• BoogeymanBoogeyman Member
    edited November 2020

@TimboJones said: Please post your request and response.

This was years ago, maybe 2/3. I can't prove my comment. But you can see few others stated in this thread their customer support is rude.

• @Boogeyman said:

@TimboJones said: Please post your request and response.

This was years ago, maybe 2/3. I can't prove my comment. But you can see few others stated in this thread their customer support is rude.

The number of times I agree when someone else was rude is a very low value. The number of times I think they're actually the cunt is much higher.

• @TimboJones said: The number of times I agree when someone else was rude is a very low value. The number of times I think they're actually the cunt is much higher.

Like I said I can't prove myself, you can see my statement as a nonsense rhyme. I won't mind. I just stated what happened on my case. Believing or not believing is your call and I won't bother proving myself for a provider that I left long time ago for having support agents that behave improperly.

• @TimboJones is probably from google :D

• It's not statistically valid, but for what it's worth, my experience with Porkbun has been very good.
    Technical support was always polite and helpful.
    And I'm yet to have any problems. Moved practically all my domains to Porkbun over the past year.

• Thanks for looking into it @oborseth

For others on the thread. My opinion of support from porkbun is similar to others. But Oborseth, really gave me hope, that this company might improve over time and hopefully these are initial hickups.

I was asked for govt id proof and domain was unbanned.

Thanked by 1oborseth
  • @r0xz, how long ago did this happen?