Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Announcing the BuyVM hardware refresh to AMD Ryzen! - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Announcing the BuyVM hardware refresh to AMD Ryzen!

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@lurch said:
    When is lu getting slabs?

I'd still like to get that done this year towards summer.

We're adding a 3rd US location which will have slabs at launch. Likely go and set it up right after I hit NY.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: We're adding a 3rd US location which will have slabs at launch

Any hints as to where this is going to be?

Some of us have to make some sacrifices to get the wallet ready (and also try to snag stock when it becomes available...)

@nullnothere said:

@Francisco said: We're adding a 3rd US location which will have slabs at launch

Any hints as to where this is going to be?

Some of us have to make some sacrifices to get the wallet ready (and also try to snag stock when it becomes available...)

Nothing fancy, just Miami.

It'll be a small deployment to test things out.

Francisco

Thanked by 2nullnothere A_m_i_t
  • Why US ? .

Some one see the opportunities in Asia & Europe.

@Francisco

@Deepak_leb said:
    Why US ? .

Some one see the opportunities in Asia & Europe.

@Francisco

As I said it'd be a very small deployment to feel things out.

Not sure where else I'd go in EU, and Asia is expensive if we want to continue doing unmetered.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Deepak_leb
  • Yeah 🥺 bandwidth issues on Asia is hectic

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

Francisco said: Not sure where else I'd go in EU, and Asia is expensive if we want to continue doing unmetered.

Come to prem UK sir.

• Just wondering when the Las Vegas node will be re-stocked...

@Greyhound said:
    Just wondering when the Las Vegas node will be re-stocked...

In the morning since user triggered cancellations will process then :)

We expect the rest of the parts needed for the Vegas Ryzen build to arrive early in the week so i'm hoping to be in the DC this week building/racking.

Francisco

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Francisco said:

@Greyhound said:
    Just wondering when the Las Vegas node will be re-stocked...

In the morning since user triggered cancellations will process then :)

We expect the rest of the parts needed for the Vegas Ryzen build to arrive early in the week so i'm hoping to be in the DC this week building/racking.

Francisco

Have fun in the build room :-)!

Clouvider said: Have fun in the build room :-)!

The Vegas DC doesn't have a communal build room so I just pull a table up against a cage wall, roll up a chair, throw on some music and work away.

My plan is to prep the boards as best I can (install cpu's/heatsinks/nvme's/ram) that way when I do get to the DC I can just drop a completed setup into the chassis, plug in a few cables, and it's done.

Francisco

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

RYZEN BOOOOOOOOOOOOJAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

• If you don't mind my asking, what case and cooling solution are you using for the Ryzen build? Also, congrats on your Ryzen slabs :smiley:

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@patientj said:
    If you don't mind my asking, what case and cooling solution are you using for the Ryzen build? Also, congrats on your Ryzen slabs :smiley:

ASRockRack has barebone chassis/mobo and individual sever mobos for these. Otherwise any chassis works.

• Ram upgrade? 😁

• @smicroz said:
    Ram upgrade? 😁

That's an ambiguous question that can't be answered without more words, but the motherboard limit is 128GB with only 4 slots.

So I don't know what you're asking, but I'll say no.

@smicroz said:
    Ram upgrade? 😁

Theres no changes to the plans.

Francisco

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Truly an inspiration. Keep it up mate.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • Can't wait to test them. Already took some test on current E3 KVM setup and looking forward to see how much of the improvements from E3 to Ryzen as well as the Drives.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • Any plans for a central US location?

@tr0gd0r said:
    Any plans for a central US location?

Not at the moment, the Chicago area is well covered I feel.

Francisco

• EwokEwok Member

@jmginer said:

@Francisco said:

We'll be using an ASROCK RACK X470D4U.

Francisco

I hope you have better luck with that motherboard than I did.

I had these problems in September 2019 and now I just checked that in November they released a new BIOS v3.30, maybe they have corrected these problems... I wish you luck!

I had issues with it as well for my NAS, as it's really difficult to find AMD boards for ECC ram. I ended up winning a paypal dispute to get my money back in the end. After all the hassle I just said fuck it and used intel on my new build.

I feel like putting all your eggs in one basket like this is going to bite fran in the butt, but I hope I'm wrong. He's obviously more knowledgeable than me and maybe that alone will be enough for him to deal with any issues that arise.

• oplinkoplink Member, Patron Provider

Francisco

Nice motherboard find/combo. Its always great to save money on server builds that perform and sell better.

How many nvme disks are you putting in each node? Do you use any PCI expansion to add more than 2 NVME per node? It would be nice to get 8x 2tb nvme per node without PCI limitations.

Did you go with the X470D4U2-2T for the 10G or add your own 10g pci card?

Thanks
    Ryan

• @Francisco said:

@tr0gd0r said:
    Any plans for a central US location?

Not at the moment, the Chicago area is well covered I feel.

Francisco

What about Japan? I could really use some Japan hosting that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

ASRock is decent so, reliable just works and its cheap on top.
    Cheapest AM4 Mainboard is ASRock, prem.

• Usually in desktop systems Ryzen CPU's relies on good memory speed for top performance not sure how much that's true in case of Server and how much that effect the server's overall performance. any ideas?

Thanked by 1Clouvider

oplink said: Did you go with the X470D4U2-2T for the 10G or add your own 10g pci card?

We already have ConnectX-3 VPI's in every node for our Infiniband connectivity.

It's possible to run the 2nd port in ethernet mode at the same time so I just bought some QSFP->SFP adapters and tada, 10gbit without vendor optic lock-in.

Works great, no issues at all, saves a small fortune.

Francisco

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@agroup said:
    Usually in desktop systems Ryzen CPU's relies on good memory speed for top performance not sure how much that's true in case of Server and how much that effect the server's overall performance. any ideas?

Even with 2400/2666 RAM it beats any common modern CPU so my 90 year professional opinion is no.

Thanked by 1agroup
  • @Ewok said:

@jmginer said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

I hope you have better luck with that motherboard than I did.

I had these problems in September 2019 and now I just checked that in November they released a new BIOS v3.30, maybe they have corrected these problems... I wish you luck!

I had issues with it as well for my NAS, as it's really difficult to find AMD boards for ECC ram. I ended up winning a paypal dispute to get my money back in the end. After all the hassle I just said fuck it and used intel on my new build.

What? Nearly all AMD boards support ECC. Are you referring to RAM overclocking timing issues? All motherboards have posted qualified and tested lists of parts.

• I've been trying to buy a slice in NY for ages... any idea when some with open up?