Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For E-mail Only. cPanel or Plesk?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

For E-mail Only. cPanel or Plesk?

I have a dedicated server that will only be used for mail. When I say mail, I mean it will host my own company e-mails. It’s just transactional e-mail to be used on desktop and mobile devices by staff.

So, for that what do you think is best: cPanel or Plesk? Any pros vs cons? What has the more reliable mail server?

I prefer the Plesk GUI, but don't know what is more reliable and adequate for e-mail.

Thanks

For e-mail only. Plesk or cPanel?
  1. What is the best for e-mail only?14 votes
    1. Plesk
      64.29%
    2. cPanel
      35.71%

Comments

• Plesk for the price.

• Why don't you use a mail server only?

iRedMail or Mail-in-a-Box should be fine.

• @curator said:
    Why don't you use a mail server only?

iRedMail or Mail-in-a-Box should be fine.

Because I do not want to spend too much time installing, setup and updating. Just a ready control panel with easy to use e-mail and management. Also with Plesk or cPanel I have support from their team.

• RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR
    edited February 2020

When comparing those two, DirectAdmin - you all jumped the cPanel ship, why not moar come and ruin the good ol' DA..

but none should really be needed for just hosting a mail server..

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

To be fair I’d choose cPanel for mail, it’s far easier to troubleshoot for me ( I have never used plesk) but if I’d recommend anything. Get office 365 instead, give someone else the headache.

• lorianlorian Member
    edited February 2020

What about Mailcow?

Pro:
    1. It's docker-based, so updates are easy.
    2. It has an easy GUI and SoGo as Webmailer.
    3. It supports DKIM, ARC, IPv6, 2FA, Solr,...
    4. It's free.

Con:
    1. It's docker-based... ;-)
    2. I think, it's not supporting HA.

• try mxroute, who can make you have a full owned brand, like mime:
    https://199903.xyz/ :)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2020

You'll have more ability to customize your configuration with cPanel. Plesk wasn't built to handle as many custom alternatives to defaults as cPanel was.

RickBakkr said: When comparing those two, DirectAdmin

But yeah, this. It's more customizable on everything but the parts of exim.conf that aren't "if this file exists then include it."