Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Corona Virus Fears? - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Corona Virus Fears?

Comments

• @jbiloh said:

@jamuja said:
    Eh... I'm on a WhatsApp group for doctor and health researchers because of my past education connection.
    All I read there is that nobody knows shit about the fundamental and life cycle of this virus. We have some version of cocktails of drugs that is proven to cure the virus to high degree probability, but no researchers know the how, the why, or even why the test results is all over the place.

There's currently studies on isolated islands in few countries that trying to definitely understand all things Corona but no result yet. My friend was sent by the government as a latest batch.

All I know is there's a lot of money to be made from this. I just made half of my annual salary from this Corona mess in the last few days from stocks.

Just curious what you're investing in that is working so well?

Probably face masks 😂

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Neoon said:

Last saw that gif in a...different context

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@raindog308 said:

@Neoon said:

Last saw that gif in a...different context

That's interesting, now we know what do you do in your spare time.

Neoon said: That's interesting, now we know what do you do in your spare time.

It's true...I sometimes look at funny gifs on the internet.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited February 2020

@raindog308 said:

Neoon said: That's interesting, now we know what do you do in your spare time.

It's true...I sometimes look at funny gifs on the internet.

Same, I did not even know that this gif has been classified like that.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited February 2020

Buying mask packages (N95/FFP2/FFP3) cheap from local stores and selling them at 3x the price on Ebay is pretty profitable I noticed. as long as the listing is from nordic country, everything is sold out very fast.

10x FFP3 is 35€ and it sells for 95€ or more depending where its shipped from. FFP2 has even higher flip rates.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

@jbiloh said:

@jamuja said:
    Eh... I'm on a WhatsApp group for doctor and health researchers because of my past education connection.
    All I read there is that nobody knows shit about the fundamental and life cycle of this virus. We have some version of cocktails of drugs that is proven to cure the virus to high degree probability, but no researchers know the how, the why, or even why the test results is all over the place.

There's currently studies on isolated islands in few countries that trying to definitely understand all things Corona but no result yet. My friend was sent by the government as a latest batch.

All I know is there's a lot of money to be made from this. I just made half of my annual salary from this Corona mess in the last few days from stocks.

Leveraged shorts would make a killing at a time like this. Probably a bunch of people over at /r/wallstreetbets doing it currently.

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

I'm supposed to be off to Thailand in April. Already had one set of flights (China Southern via Guangzhou) cancelled, and the airline seem to be snowed under when it comes to refunds.

Rebooked those flights with Emirates via Dubai now, and I noticed that flights into Bangkok have gotten so much cheaper, along with buying THB getting cheaper. I'm just checking what my insurers and the British Government say, and following their advice now.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@hawc said:
    I'm supposed to be off to Thailand in April. Already had one set of flights (China Southern via Guangzhou) cancelled, and the airline seem to be snowed under when it comes to refunds.

Rebooked those flights with Emirates via Dubai now, and I noticed that flights into Bangkok have gotten so much cheaper, along with buying THB getting cheaper. I'm just checking what my insurers and the British Government say, and following their advice now.

Whatever you decide to do hope you stay safe!

On Sunday I am going to Zurich for 6 days and I am contemplating canceling. Trying to decide right now...

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

@jbiloh said:

@hawc said:

Whatever you decide to do hope you stay safe!

On Sunday I am going to Zurich for 6 days and I am contemplating canceling. Trying to decide right now...

Already had to cancel the China leg of my trip - travel insurance is a godsend, but you need a good insurer too. I noticed that initially when I cancelled the China trip, they seemed to need to take a day or so to reply to each message (I suspect this was uncharted territory for them). As the situation developed, they've been a lot better.

I'd still go to Zurich - try and travel round Europe by train if you can. I did Zurich > Ljubljana by train, and waking up at 5am sitting in a train above the clouds in the Austrian mountains is something special.

hawc said: I'd still go to Zurich - try and travel round Europe by train if you can. I did Zurich > Ljubljana by train, and waking up at 5am sitting in a train above the clouds in the Austrian mountains is something special.

Thanks for the tip and feedback. Right now thinking I am going to get on the airplane on Sunday.

I've rented a car and am doing Zurich-Lucerne-Interlaken-Bern-Zurich.

I'm going to North Carolina in a week, flying through the busiest airport in the nation (Atlanta). Not contemplating staying home.

From everything I've read, this type of transmission requires close contact - conversations up close, shaking hands, glory holes, etc. It's not like measles where you can fart in someone's general direction and infect a city...OTOH, it's also not like tuberculosis where you practically have to swallow someone else's spit. But it's closer to tuberculosis than to measles.

We just got the first case in Oregon. Watched the government-is-nobly-doing-its-job-commercial state press conference and health officials are consistently saying that for most people, infection is a very mild experience.

i feel fine at the moment...but hey, maybe I'll take out the Eastern seaboard next week.

Thanked by 3poisson willK vimalware
  • @raindog308 said:
    I'm going to North Carolina in a week, flying through the busiest airport in the nation (Atlanta). Not contemplating staying home.

From everything I've read, this type of transmission requires close contact - conversations up close, shaking hands, glory holes, etc. It's not like measles where you can fart in someone's general direction and infect a city...OTOH, it's also not like tuberculosis where you practically have to swallow someone else's spit. But it's closer to tuberculosis than to measles.

We just got the first case in Oregon. Watched the government-is-nobly-doing-its-job-commercial state press conference and health officials are consistently saying that for most people, infection is a very mild experience.

i feel fine at the moment...but hey, maybe I'll take out the Eastern seaboard next week.

A voice of reason is rare in this time.

• XeiXei Member
    edited February 2020

@jbiloh said:

Just in case I die from the corona virus I figured I should say I may or may not have a tiny crush on @jbiloh. ❤️

• @jbiloh said:

@jamuja said:

When the world burn I earn a lot of money 😄

Seriously though a lot of easy money to be made in chaos betting on market downturn. Invest in the fear of Corona and recession and you will find a lot of easy money.
    I profited $12K by 1pm on Friday. Up until 1pm vix shot up to my preference, took profit, got out of all my positions and enjoyed the rest of Friday smiling.
    My main investment mirror index so that's down around 5%, but my hedge is up 100% due to overweight hedge, so I'm up around 80% after commission and all.

• @jbiloh said:

hawc said: I'd still go to Zurich - try and travel round Europe by train if you can. I did Zurich > Ljubljana by train, and waking up at 5am sitting in a train above the clouds in the Austrian mountains is something special.

Thanks for the tip and feedback. Right now thinking I am going to get on the airplane on Sunday.

If you make that trip you are right in the middle of the two major outbreaks in Italy and Germany, if it is not a necessary trip I advise you to postpone, in Zurich there are two cases and nine in all of Switzerland, they have stopped the football championship and other activities, it is not a good time to come here, in my city in northern Italy there have been 16 cases and in the cities around many more, but it is my city and I can also die there, I do not go away at a time like this, but if you are not obliged I think it is better that you postpone the trip, I assure you that there is not a nice atmosphere.

@ScienceOnline said:

@jbiloh said:

If you make that trip you are right in the middle of the two major outbreaks in Italy and Germany, if it is not a necessary trip I advise you to postpone, in Zurich there are two cases and nine in all of Switzerland, they have stopped the football championship and other activities, it is not a good time to come here, in my city in northern Italy there have been 16 cases and in the cities around many more, but it is my city and I can also die there, I do not go away at a time like this, but if you are not obliged I think it is better that you postpone the trip, I assure you that there is not a nice atmosphere.

Thanks for the input.

What is daily life like in your town? How present is the virus as far as changing the daily routine of residents?

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@jamuja said:

@jbiloh said:

@jamuja said:

When the world burn I earn a lot of money 😄

Seriously though a lot of easy money to be made in chaos betting on market downturn. Invest in the fear of Corona and recession and you will find a lot of easy money.
    I profited $12K by 1pm on Friday. Up until 1pm vix shot up to my preference, took profit, got out of all my positions and enjoyed the rest of Friday smiling.
    My main investment mirror index so that's down around 5%, but my hedge is up 100% due to overweight hedge, so I'm up around 80% after commission and all.

The FTSE 100 lost already around £200b and I don’t think it’s over yet as my personal prediction the index tracker will go down to 5k points. So if anyone does like you spread betting easy money can be made but majority people who like invest in long terms are worst off.

• Lost a bunch of money I had invested in stocks, missed out on a bunch of good Serie A games because they postponed them

Coronavirus might as well just kill me now

Thanked by 2shillshocked FrankZ

I'm at the jfk airport today. No signs of any concern amongst the traveling public. No masks to be seen.

• hzrhzr Member

jbiloh said: I'm at the jfk airport today. No signs of any concern amongst the traveling public. No masks to be seen.

some of my coworkers flying back in from asia have reported no masks, no checkpoints, no questioning or quarantine on US entry, and people already wearing them just take them off as soon as they land in the US, like the virus will magically disappear and refuse to cross the border or something.

@hzr said:

jbiloh said: I'm at the jfk airport today. No signs of any concern amongst the traveling public. No masks to be seen.

some of my coworkers flying back in from asia have reported no masks, no checkpoints, no questioning or quarantine on US entry, and people already wearing them just take them off as soon as they land in the US, like the virus will magically disappear and refuse to cross the border or something.

This week will be important to watch things closely for hopeful confirmation that the rate of infections is staying somewhat controlled.

• IamIam Member

WebProject said: On average, flu and its complications kill about 600 people per year in the UK. No statistic from other countries, so if you do add cases from other countries I think the figure will be higher than coronavirus, but no one panic or overreacting about flu.

Flu already have a vaccine and this covid-19 don't and that make people panic or at least doesn't feel safe.

• https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/01/nyregion/new-york-coronvirus-confirmed.html

What a fan fucking tastic way to start March. There goes any tax season business.....

• Now that butts-in-seats office culture has impacted productivity so much, maybe at least 35% more corporations will embrace full-remote positions for knowledge worker and IC roles.

The quarterly earnings call is their true religion, after all.

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

Most of Western Europe returns to school today after a one week holiday. Will be interesting to see what happens, especially sincr many people here in the Netherlands go skiing in Austria, France, Germany and even northern Italy. Incubation time for the virus can be 2 weeks, so once everyone is back at school they can start infecting everyone. No precautions have been taken.

• Just download norton morons

Arrived in Zurich this morning and no signs of masks being worn or any concern from locals. Also no additional health screening.

• @Jona4s said:
    Just download norton morons

• Yep my country join the club today, first 2 infected people anounced!