Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Corona Virus Fears? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Corona Virus Fears?

Comments

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Anyone watching Trump's address right now? Those who spoke after him seemed well informed and thoughtful. Trump not as much.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • I've heard unofficial reports than 200,000+ have died in China, complete government coverup going on. They are cremating the bodies 24/7, you can see the effect on the satellite map over the city of Wuhan in particular.

• SynatiqSynatiq Member
    edited February 2020

@shillshocked said:
    I've heard unofficial reports than 200,000+ have died in China, complete government coverup going on. They are cremating the bodies 24/7, you can see the effect on the satellite map over the city of Wuhan in particular.

I hope your source is wrong.

I am on the busiest London Underground line for almost 2 hours every day - Piccadilly line, or Wuhan Express as some call it. People breathe into me every morning whilst pushing around. My concern is the west is too capitalistic to apply any restrictions on transport until the very last minute - the machine must keep going without any panic or worries. NHS said they'll stop counting the cases once they reach 100.

As for the manufacturing companies I am involved with - nothing has been produced in the past 1+ month as workers still can't reach the factories due to concerns or transport restrictions in China.

I suspect my Nintendo Switch Animal Crossing Edition isn't coming out as advertised either.

Thanked by 1Claverhouse
  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

@shillshocked said:
    I've heard unofficial reports than 200,000+ have died in China, complete government coverup going on. They are cremating the bodies 24/7, you can see the effect on the satellite map over the city of Wuhan in particular.

Where are you seeing this?

Down goes the US stock market again today. Everything is now in correction territory (down 10 percent from recent highs).

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Up 'til now, I haven't worried about the Coronavirus at all.

That changed today.

Thanked by 2poisson Ympker
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2020

Synatiq said: NHS said they'll stop counting the cases once they reach 100

Can't be a problem if you don't count it right? That'd be humorous if not sad.

Anyway, everyone should at very least be preparing to have the flu, to spend some time at home, and for shelves to be empty of medicine that might help manage symptoms. It would be inappropriate for anyone to not be making bare minimum preparations to eat at home and manage flu symptoms. The "it's not that bad" comments won't age well, people will make it bad by flooding hospitals and emptying shelves. If you're waiting for an absolute sign that these things are 100% necessary, you're waiting for it to be too late.

raindog308 said: Up 'til now, I haven't worried about the Coronavirus at all.

That changed today.

From one Diet lover to another, cheers.

You know that stuff is not good for us, right?

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2020

@jbiloh said:
    It looked like we had a rally on wall street today but that is fizzling at the moment. Another down day coming?

Markets seem to be seriously overreacting, imo. My personal portfolio is down around 8-10% just over some short term disruption. It'll blow over by summer at latest, no big deal.

@jackb said:

@jbiloh said:
    It looked like we had a rally on wall street today but that is fizzling at the moment. Another down day coming?

Markets seem to be seriously overreacting, imo. My personal portfolio is down around 8-10% just over some short term disruption. It'll blow over by summer at latest, no big deal.

If you are down 8 percent that's great and a job well done as you are beating the market.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2020

@jbiloh said:

@jackb said:

@jbiloh said:

If you are down 8 percent that's great and a job well done as you are beating the market.

I'm about 30% bonds which probably helped. I'm also around 10% AMD though, that one hurts (down ~25%)

jackb said: Markets seem to be seriously overreacting, imo

All we really know right now is emissions are down 1/4 in China. It'll probably be a few months before we all know exactly where that will hit, but it's definitely somewhere. Even if what you buy isn't manufactured in China, you have to think about the things needed by the people who manufacture it elsewhere, all the suppliers down the chain. Preparing for at least a mild recession seems logical.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@jackb said:

@jbiloh said:

No reason is for overreacting, Ebola or TB is worst than Coronavirus flu.

edited February 2020

WebProject said: Ebola or TB is worst than Coronavirus flu

Both have lower infection rates than current estimates on coronavirus. I'm not saying you need to panic, but you need to stop spreading disinformation. More infections = more deaths, rate of infection is a key component to "how bad" a disease is.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2020

@jar said:

Both have lower infection rates than current estimates on coronavirus. I'm not saying you need to panic, but you need to stop spreading disinformation. More infections = more deaths, rate of infection is a key component to "how bad" a disease is.

On average, flu and its complications kill about 600 people per year in the UK. No statistic from other countries, so if you do add cases from other countries I think the figure will be higher than coronavirus, but no one panic or overreacting about flu.

The 2013 West African Ebola epidemic killed nearly 11,500 people, mainly in Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea, but led to only one case in the UK: aid worker Pauline Cafferkey who fell ill on return from Sierra Leone and was treated at the Royal Free Hospital in London.

Thanked by 1vimalware
    edited February 2020

(This reply was kinda mean, retracted)

edited February 2020

Think of it like this:

Disease A will infect 100,000 people with a death rate of 1%

Disease B will infect 500,000 people with a death rate of 0.5%.

Which is worse? A lot of people would apparently say Disease A is worst because it has a 1% death rate as opposed to a 0.5% death rate. They'd be wrong though, because there are more factors to calculate.

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited February 2020

@WebProject said:

@jackb said:

@jbiloh said:

No reason is for overreacting, Ebola or TB is worst than Coronavirus flu.

Ebola dies quickly, Corona doesn't. That's why Ebola quarantine works and we don't have Ebola on every continent.

• @jbiloh said:

My mom has become anti-vaxxer crazy in her old age. She was harping on how much profit vaccine makers make. I explained how that's actually not much money, at all, and that the stock market losses would be 100X worse if there was a major epidemic from not having vaccines. There's no conspiracy to make fake vaccines for profit, as the ones who would be hurt financially (wall street) by actual deadly viruses are way more devious than those making beneficial vaccines.

Thanked by 1jar

Coronavirus is highly contagious, however its mortality rate among young people is close to zero percent. Yes, older folks, 70 and older should be considerate of their situations. Also keep in mind that 81 percent of people who contract the virus show symptoms consistent with a mild cold. That means the real number of those infected is likely much higher than reported (because they never get clinically diagnosed) and therefore the mortality rate is actually lower than 1 percent on the aggregate. Also keep in mind that the virus is mutating in China, and mutating into a weaker virus.

There have been annual super flu which have been far more concerning.

Thanked by 2vimalware BBTN
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited February 2020

China wants apparently ban to eat dogs and cats.
    Since HongKong has detected low level of the virus, within a dog.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Neoon said:
    China wants apparently ban to eat dogs and cats.
    Since HongKong has detected low level of the virus, within a dog.

Rather pathetic that they don’t ban this barbaric practice regardless of a virus.

But that’s China...land of the setting sun.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • @jar said:

I think you are not very well-informed either. More infections = more deaths is obviously NOT true because basic microbiology and immunology will tell you that you are infected with some micro-organism every single day, just that your immune system takes care of it without you noticing it. Just because you do not feel any visible symptoms doesn't mean you are not infected with anything.

Anyway, back to science and statistics proper, because Covid-19 is mostly mild and asymptomatic, it is very likely the vast majority of cases of infection were not detected through either CT scans or PCR analysis, the two key accepted clinical diagnosis methods. As a result, the case-fatality rate has likely been over-exaggerated. Researchers have built a model to account for the severe under-reporting, and they estimate the fatality rate to be in the order of ~0.15%.

Source: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.02.11.20022186v2

• @jbiloh said:
    Also keep in mind that the virus is mutating in China, and mutating into a weaker virus.

I have severe issues with this statement. Provide the source.

edited February 2020

@poisson said:

@jbiloh said:
    Also keep in mind that the virus is mutating in China, and mutating into a weaker virus.

I have severe issues with this statement. Provide the source.

Viruses naturally mutate over time via transmission. Usually they mutate weaker which plays a part in how "viruses naturally burn themselves out." Other factors in the natural burn out are environmental (ie time of year and temperatures and hours per day of sunlight). Viruses rarely do well in warmer temperatures or in sunny environments where their ability to survive can be reduced by as much as 99 percent (where time of survivability is the unit of measure).

The Chinese authorities have done a pretty good job at containing things despite their initial slow start. That effort is contributing to the reversing of the growth trend in clinically diagnosed cases. That change in growth rate has actually been stunning (and it's positive albeit under reported by the media because that would scare people less and therefore sell fewer commercials).

You are clearly quite intelligent on the matter given your well thought out posts on the topic. I enjoyed reading your post that pointed out the fact that the real extent of effected patients is much higher than the number of clinically diagnosed.

I've been reading quite a bit on the topic, here's a couple articles I enjoyed:

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3048772/striking-coronavirus-mutations-found-within-one-family-cluster

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-outbreak-end.html

• pikepike Veteran
    edited February 2020

@raindog308 said:

That changed today.

Who needs coca cola if you can have Fritz Kola.

Thanked by 1Timtimo13
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@pike said:

@raindog308 said:

That changed today.

Who needs coca cola if you can have Fritz Kola.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • Eh... I'm on a WhatsApp group for doctor and health researchers because of my past education connection.
    All I read there is that nobody knows shit about the fundamental and life cycle of this virus. We have some version of cocktails of drugs that is proven to cure the virus to high degree probability, but no researchers know the how, the why, or even why the test results is all over the place.

There's currently studies on isolated islands in few countries that trying to definitely understand all things Corona but no result yet. My friend was sent by the government as a latest batch.

All I know is there's a lot of money to be made from this. I just made half of my annual salary from this Corona mess in the last few days from stocks.

@jamuja said:
    Eh... I'm on a WhatsApp group for doctor and health researchers because of my past education connection.
    All I read there is that nobody knows shit about the fundamental and life cycle of this virus. We have some version of cocktails of drugs that is proven to cure the virus to high degree probability, but no researchers know the how, the why, or even why the test results is all over the place.

There's currently studies on isolated islands in few countries that trying to definitely understand all things Corona but no result yet. My friend was sent by the government as a latest batch.

All I know is there's a lot of money to be made from this. I just made half of my annual salary from this Corona mess in the last few days from stocks.

Just curious what you're investing in that is working so well?