Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Corona Virus Fears? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Corona Virus Fears?

Comments

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2020

In the UK it is estimated that an average of 600 people a year die from flu complications. How many cases in other countries no one know, so no fears or waste of breath on the subject!

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

My feeling is that this virus - like everything else - is way oversensationalized because the media needs to sell advertising time.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2020

@raindog308 said:
    My feeling is that this virus - like everything else - is way oversensationalized because the media needs to sell advertising time.

Some excuse for financial market to wipe a few billions of pounds in couple days.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

WebProject said: Some excuse for financial market to wipe a few billions of pounds in couple days.

Things are looking very negative on wall street today.

• @seriesn said:
    While the mortality % is extremely low, fear of uncertainty is high.

My portfolio looks like cars stuck in strawberry Jam. So much red.....

FTFY

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

Luckily we have had no cases yet [Albania], though if there's just one person infected in the country. The entire country will be with this virus in just a week.

We're not prepared for such a thing, not to mention Albania is full of coffee bars, all coffee bars full 24 / 7. It only needs one infected person to enter one of these coffee bars, we're all scr.. : |

• For people who are fit/young and without serious medical condition, likely nothing will happen to them.

I'm more worried about the virus' impact on supply chains, tourism/travel, workplaces, people going out less and spending less. In other words, it will threaten our livelihood more than our lives.

• chihcherngchihcherng Veteran
    edited February 2020

@raindog308 said:

The true experience of an American in Wuhan:

How fear-mongering media gets views regarding the Wuhan Coronavirus (English voice with Chinese and English subtitles)

• Sounds like a good time for young people to build a 15yr stock portfolio.

• @vimalware said:
    Sounds like a good time for young people to build a 15yr stock portfolio.

you expect to not live that long anymore? ;-)

Thanked by 2vimalware hostdare
  • If fear makes you do extra protection, fear is good.
    Do your best to protect yourself, family, friends, neighbors.
    But don't panic, reading too much information can make you feel powerless.
    Wear a mask if you go to a crowded place. Try to avoid touching objects with your hands and use a dry piece of paper.
    It is not ordinary flu, 3 days is enough to collapse the local medical system.

About 35 days ago, I heard the virus on twitter, that time was the end of the year, so I was very busy and worked until the early hours of the morning, I bought the facemask at 5 AM on JD.com, 12 hours later it all sold out.

I started to forward the protection information continuously, and the protection requirements were constantly upgraded. At first, the public media only required people to wear masks. Later, they asked people to go out less. Two days later, Wuhan closed the city. I started to call the most authoritative person in each family, asked them to tell all relatives and friends to stop the New Year visiting.
    It was the most difficult at the beginning, because it was difficult for everyone to pay attention to switching from festival mode to disaster relief mode.
    One day later, Hubei Province was closed down. It happened too suddenly. The government departments caught off guard. The non-profit organizations and the people did very well. They helped the hospital through the most difficult moments. Almost everyone was doing their best to help others.
    The following period was the darkest moment in Wuhan, and too many tragic stories could not bear to tell.
    The situation has now been brought under control, but livelihoods and general medical treatment are still not easy to resolve.
    Starting today, local residents started to check in with health QR codes. When I wrote this post, I received automatic phone call to collect body temperature and history of exposure.

• @Falzo said:

@vimalware said:
    Sounds like a good time for young people to build a 15yr stock portfolio.

you expect to not live that long anymore? ;-)

• @Spectr said:

@willK said:
    Live in a megacity about 500 km away from Wuhan. Get back to work since yesterday. Not many people on the streets. Saw a pack of wild dogs and a group of rats on my way to work. Quite a rare sight.

How many casualties do you estimate?
    Edit: if you've seen any/what you know

Our city was strictly quarantined early this month, all traffic was cut. There was even a temporary curfew imposed in my neighborhood. So I haven't seen anyone in hazmat suit carrying body bags in my neighborhood. Did hear ambulance siren a time or two. I think our city was in a much better situation than Wuhan, so far at least.

• As a Chinese, I would like to remind you: beware of asymptomatic infections

Thanked by 1level6
  • PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

The stories and data is ALL OVER the place. A lot of it seems just FUD and way overblown. Then you hear full cities quarantined and body bags in the streets, mass arrests (forced quarantine?) etc etc.

Tbh, i do not trust any of it because some is just overblown, some are like world ending is here this kills 100% etc. and everyone in the world is going to get infected etc etc.

Even the stats trackers shown all tend to have different numbers etc. Like the last one linked here, 87k cases and 8% mortality with 18% still in critical condition? I saw case numbers many times this weeks ago, and elsewhere is being reported 0.5% mortality rate.

Disbelief it all at this point, and this is probably going to end up on the scale of seasonal flu in reality.

Just like the past ones as well. During Swine Flu i remember this type of fear mongering, and people were lining up here in Finland by the thousands to get untested experimental vaccine (which afaik turned out to be 100% ineffective!) and experimenting with babies, actually causing autism. Glad anti-vaxxers have not caught up on that. After dust settled it was not much different from seasonal flu, and the shitty untested vaccinations caused 100x the issues (many actually got sick from getting it, remember those are actual live viruses they infect and your body has to fight it off, causing temporarily diminished immune response ... so you catch flu much easier for couple weeks)

This is starting to even remind me of Black Friday craze, this time everyone is looking for face masks which do nothing to protect you, and in the first place your location probably has 0 cases within 1000km radius to begin with.

This is good time to buy some stocks tho ;)

• equally balanced as everything should be

• I comes from China , i think everything was going well . Thank for all of you! Wish all you have good luck!

I think there is no question that the media is exaggerating things because new, and somewhat scary things, attract viewers. So they focus on those topics until which point viewers start tuning out. Right now Coronavirus is the next big thing to worry about so it's selling lots of ads.

• ^ hmmm ... :confused:

• Hope COVID-19 deadpooled soon!

• I hope there will be a South Park episode about it, the sars one was great.

• Honestly I doesn't care much about that. Yes, am from India, especially southern where my Neighbor state citizens has gotten a critical condition.

I doesn't travel.

Death & Diseases are inevitable for human kind.

So, Yes ! I doesn't care.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    Thanked by 1default
  • Did China buy CoronaVirus from UNC, US? Scary!!!

It looked like we had a rally on wall street today but that is fizzling at the moment. Another down day coming?

• No more Olympic this year. Everything is in turmoil because of china. Every viruses come fron china. Maybe they should name it with 3-word chinese name