Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Corona Virus Fears? - Page 11
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Corona Virus Fears?

Comments

• @corbpie said:
    Hows it going @Synatiq ?

Fever gone miraculously after that one hellish Sunday night. My lungs are clear but I am still waiting on results for the Covid test. Just have a terrible itchy cough right now.

Thanks for asking, stay well :).

Thanked by 2corbpie Claverhouse
  • TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited March 2020

@rchurch said:

@TimboJones said:

@rchurch said:

@PulsedMedia said:
    In Finland they declared state of emergency and borders will be closed

When coronavirus spreads everywhere closing borders will become meaningless, and that looks like it will happen sooner rather than later.

Only China and some of the nearby East Asian countries will have cause to close their borders because they will be the only countries whose infection rates will dropping be dropping when the other countries rates will be increasing

What? That makes NO sense, at all.

Unless China is fiddling its figures, European countries now have infection rates way higher than China.

Italy has 1/3 of China's infected and 2/3 of its fatalities, inspite of having 1/50 of China's population.

When you exclude Hubei from China's figures European countries top the league, inspite of having a combinned population way below China's.

So outside Hubei, the Chinese have better cause for banning travel from Europe than Europeans have from China.

The point is when infection rates start to match across countries, it stops making sense to ban travel. Travel becomes an issue only if gathering in numbers in airports and being confined in airplanes increases the risk of infection.

No, no it doesn't. The issue isn't catching it at the airport, it's spreading it from an infected area to a non-infected area.

My parents live on an island province with few or no infections. If no people come in, they won't get infected. Large city infections will make country averages smooth out, but places are largely spread out and desolate, so isolation still works if you don't ignore travel restrictions.

tl;dr it makes sense for ANY country to prevent more spread and infections.

Thanked by 1Claverhouse
  • Jona4sJona4s Member
    edited March 2020

Canadian dollar is being raped.

Just sell USD/CAD and you will be millionaire if it goes back to 1.30

• @vedran said:

@shillshocked said:
    So why is the UK the only country in Europe Trump didn't ban flights from? He's paying heed to the royalty.

Because he banned "only" 26 Schengen area countries and the UK is not one of them, wasn't even while they were still in the EU. There are 50+ countries in Europe so that's hardly the only one.

Eu Is only 26 country, Who are the other 24? 😂

• @ScienceOnline said:

@datanoise said:
    Dunno if it had been posted here already, but it sounded worth it to make a little come back to share this link in case it can help fellows el'cheapos:

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

tl;dr: better act now than letting the situation get worse, Italian style (even though they finally put their shit together, but a bit too late for the load on their health system - shit can get ugly if the right decision isn't taken early!)

In Italy the health system is not overloaded, it would have become if we had not taken the practices we are implementing, we have not yet reached the limit of our availability of intensive care and we have a company that is building 500 respirators per week, I understand that from outside it is easy and reassuring to believe that in Italy there are many infections because it is a backward and disorganized country, for the moment the United States authorities for the prevention of coronavirus have made great declarations and zero facts, I hope you are really much better than us and that you manage to have 0 deaths, but blaming Europe and China and making amazing statements will not protect you from the virus, you have to stay at home like chinese and italians did, there is no other way.

Italy has a very old population, as a result we have more elderly people affected than China and Korea, according to WHO data:

"In Italy on March 4 lethality (calculated as the number of deaths on confirmed cases) among the over 80 is 10.9 percent, while in China on February 24 (the latest available data, extracted from the report of the joint China-WHO commission ) was 14.8 percent, "the ISS clarified in a press release on March 6. "Between 70 and 79 years the comparison sees Italy with a lethality of 5.3 percent, while China has 8 percent, and between 0 and 69 it is 0.5 percent in our country against 1 , 3 percent Chinese. "

Italy is represented as inadequate to face the Virus and with 4 scrambled doctors, in reality we have an advanced and free healthcare by constitution, and more unlike other countries, such as Germany where they say they have almost no deaths and hospitalizations unlike the rest of the world (to date they declare 3476 infected, 46 hospitalized and 8 dead), in Italy every day the government makes a public bulletin with precise data and makes all medical data available to anyone, is respecting the scientific principles of sharing that can be useful to everyone.

in my city to date we have 518 cases and 21 deaths, I hope you don't have this problem.

Take care of yourself

I think you not understand how to count death in Italy and Milan, Bergamo, Brescia It s end coma bed

• @chiccorosso said:

@ScienceOnline said:

@datanoise said:
    Dunno if it had been posted here already, but it sounded worth it to make a little come back to share this link in case it can help fellows el'cheapos:

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

tl;dr: better act now than letting the situation get worse, Italian style (even though they finally put their shit together, but a bit too late for the load on their health system - shit can get ugly if the right decision isn't taken early!)

In Italy the health system is not overloaded, it would have become if we had not taken the practices we are implementing, we have not yet reached the limit of our availability of intensive care and we have a company that is building 500 respirators per week, I understand that from outside it is easy and reassuring to believe that in Italy there are many infections because it is a backward and disorganized country, for the moment the United States authorities for the prevention of coronavirus have made great declarations and zero facts, I hope you are really much better than us and that you manage to have 0 deaths, but blaming Europe and China and making amazing statements will not protect you from the virus, you have to stay at home like chinese and italians did, there is no other way.

Italy has a very old population, as a result we have more elderly people affected than China and Korea, according to WHO data:

"In Italy on March 4 lethality (calculated as the number of deaths on confirmed cases) among the over 80 is 10.9 percent, while in China on February 24 (the latest available data, extracted from the report of the joint China-WHO commission ) was 14.8 percent, "the ISS clarified in a press release on March 6. "Between 70 and 79 years the comparison sees Italy with a lethality of 5.3 percent, while China has 8 percent, and between 0 and 69 it is 0.5 percent in our country against 1 , 3 percent Chinese. "

Italy is represented as inadequate to face the Virus and with 4 scrambled doctors, in reality we have an advanced and free healthcare by constitution, and more unlike other countries, such as Germany where they say they have almost no deaths and hospitalizations unlike the rest of the world (to date they declare 3476 infected, 46 hospitalized and 8 dead), in Italy every day the government makes a public bulletin with precise data and makes all medical data available to anyone, is respecting the scientific principles of sharing that can be useful to everyone.

in my city to date we have 518 cases and 21 deaths, I hope you don't have this problem.

Take care of yourself

I think you not understand how to count death in Italy and Milan, Bergamo, Brescia It s end coma bed

If you don't understand what I wrote, Try using google translate, these are just data not controversy (che nel caso non significa controversie)

• Shot2Shot2 Member

@ScienceOnline said:
    I understand that from outside it is easy and reassuring to believe that in Italy there are many infections because it is a backward and disorganized country

Well, it IS a backward and disorganized country. But at least it has a two-weeks headstart on other backward, disorganized countries when it comes to taking measures. :)

Laypeople (including politicians) should refrain from giving advice or hazarding guesses on complex, life-or-death topics such as statistics, infectiology or epidemiology: these are counter-intuitive scientific fields whereby being ill-advised equals being ill.

Greetings from the backward disorganized country next door: confinement day 2 :D

• pikepike Veteran

Dutch people hamstering weed :)

Thanked by 2uptime Ympker
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited March 2020
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Markets look set to dive significantly today in the US. The level of volitility occurring now is more significant than the great depression.

US markets hit a circuit break trigger today which caused a 15 minute pause in trading. This is the 4th or 5th time that's happened in the past two weeks.

More pain in the financial markets happening.

• Jona4sJona4s Member
    edited March 2020

British pound is at lowest level since 1985. God save the queen!

• This is madness

• The amount of stockpiling here is insane.

However, on a brighter note although I'm not qualified to treat people alternatively offering digital assistance I have been fairly productive in leading a team to expand capacity from 100 users up-to 2,000 remote working for hospital staff for those who can do their function from home. Everyone now appears to be incredibly busy in any sort of food/medical/hospital/government related disciplines.

Grocery stores in South Florida, where I live, are well stocked after an initial run down of stocks this past weekend.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @Jona4s said:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKK.

My main employer is American, so us Canadians are a super bargain compared to local American engineers (so we cost them less now), but I buy a lot of shit in USD, so my costs just went up. Hopefully, things will stabilize as my annual plans come up for renewal.

• What about Mr. Trump? Is he infected as predicted by Bart Simpson?

• @Jona4s said:
    British pound is at lowest level since 1985. God save the queen!

@Jona4s said:

Every currency is down against USD. Terrible times.

• niceboyniceboy Veteran
    edited March 2020

The idea seems to be breaking the spread chain with 100% accuracy for 21 days!

India seems to be having very tough times ahead. :(

• georgedatacentergeorgedatacenter Member, Patron Provider

@ScienceOnline said:

@jbiloh said:

@thedp said:
    Some countries have been locked down now.

Canada closed their borders today.

A brutal day in stock markets around the world. No sign that Tuesday will be any better, either.

Has anyone been watching the videos from Northern Italy as far as people waiting for grocers to open, etc? It's very concerning.

The first few days following the government decrees that forced people to stay at home, paranoid groups of people have clogged and emptied the supermarkets, but now the flow of customers is normal and there is no problem of food supply, there is a virus, not a war or a famine, the food is produced normally and the goods circulate freely, the only very difficult thing to find are the masks.
    I'm in northern Italy and today I bought some food for my cats and we were 6/7 persons inside a big supermarket.

Buddy, how's it going in Italy now?

Here's the news, the doctors were saying who lived and who died.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @isunbejo said:
    What about Mr. Trump? Is he infected as predicted by Bart Simpson?

What's this now? The Simpsons is eventually always right, so...

• IamIam Member
    edited March 2020

When many smart people (sarcasm) think this is just the flu (1.5 months ago) I am stockpile almost everything and its worth it.

Just read a really interesting article on Bloomberg. Essentially it is saying that 99.2% of the patients who have died in Italy had preexisting conditions:

More than 99% of Italy’s coronavirus fatalities were people who suffered from previous medical conditions, according to a study by the country’s national health authority.

After deaths from the virus reached more than 2,500, with a 150% increase in the past week, health authorities have been combing through data to provide clues to help combat the spread of the disease.

The new study could provide insight into why Italy’s death rate, at about 8% of total infected people, is higher than in other countries.

The Rome-based institute has examined medical records of about 18% of the country’s coronavirus fatalities, finding that just three victims, or 0.8% of the total, had no previous pathology. Almost half of the victims suffered from at least three prior illnesses and about a fourth had either one or two previous conditions.

More than 75% had high blood pressure, about 35% had diabetes and a third suffered from heart disease.

Link with more of the story: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-18/99-of-those-who-died-from-virus-had-other-illness-italy-says

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • We, Sri Lanka a 3rd world country. People with Corona are hiding from police. People are efing crazy. Everyone is ordered to work from home.
    My job is kinds secure but who knows for how long.
    Local currency is going to worth shyt in a couple of weeks.

• gwnd1989 said: People with Corona are hiding from police

Why are they hiding?

• HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2020

@greattomeetyou said:

gwnd1989 said: People with Corona are hiding from police

Why are they hiding?

Probably don't want to get quarantined and worried about what kind of treatment or facility they are going to get ....

Basically in developing countries people are afraid and don't trust their Government

• @HostEONS said:

@greattomeetyou said:

Why are they hiding?

Probably don't want to get quarantined and worried about what kind of treatment or facility they are going to get ....

Basically in developing countries people are afraid and don't trust their Government

But they don't have GFW, they can use phone to record things and publish them.

• @greattomeetyou said:

Why are they hiding?

most of the infected are workers returning from Italy... They are rich... They dont want to leave their comfy homes to basic facilities in Quarantine centres.

• @greattomeetyou said:

@HostEONS said:

@greattomeetyou said:

Why are they hiding?

The problem is - if they have something bad to record - that means that they are experiencing it first hand. And nobody wants to sacrifice themselves for a video. Specially if they are actually sick.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider

@greattomeetyou said:

@HostEONS said:

@greattomeetyou said:

Why are they hiding?

This might explain it a bit - http://chng.it/nTndZtNBKG.