Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
Corona Virus Fears?
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Corona Virus Fears?

jbilohjbiloh Administrator

So the Corona virus is causing increasing disruption to certain industries and financial markets globally. Today, for example, markets were down significantly in Asia, Europe and now North America.

Just curious is anyone changing their travel plans, spending or business plans because of the Corona virus?

For our community members in the region, how are people doing who are in Asia specifically?

Jon Biloh

Comments

• cociucociu Member, Provider

not a joke , i make some whater stock and food. Romania is disastre when we talk about hospitals ...

• NeoonNeoon Member
    edited February 24

Not only in Romania, in multiple countries within the EU, the health system is already close or on its limits.

If that thing goes big, what some doctors already claim is a pandemic, then its going to end bad for people who are already in bad condition or are more vulnerable to the virus, due to things like age.

• PUSHR_VictorPUSHR_Victor Member, Provider
    edited February 24

Same fears as @cociu . Bulgaria and it's hospitals are not at all prepared to handle this if it comes here. I have a travel plan for Turkey next week with my family and a bunch of friends and we are all now unsure if we should go or not, even if there are no official reports of Corona there yet.

In addition, some of our largest customers are from China and finance flows have been heavily disrupted this month. Not sure what to expect in March.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited February 24

Following the situation in Finland, and planning to buy FFP2/FFP3 facemask from K-Rauta construction shop on friday. Theyre already sold out from pharmacies even though nobody uses them yet.

As for the food, if it starts spreading suddenly, might have to stock stuff into freezer beforehand and buy a little bit of can food.. Doesen't hurt to prepare a little.

I'm fairly confident in our country when it comes to public healthcare luckily.. even in a crisis..

• NeoonNeoon Member
    edited February 24

FFP2 where sold about 3 weeks ago for like 3EUR for 10.
    Now they go over the table for 2-3EUR each.

I got myself some for 6 bucks, decent deal now its just a rip off.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited February 24

@Neoon said:

There's still quite bit stock in our local shops.. Mostly cause nobody cares enough yet.

• NeoonNeoon Member
    edited February 24

@stefeman said:

@Neoon said:

There's still quite bit stock in our local shops.. Mostly cause nobody cares enough yet.

Stock is still there mostly, but prices already went up.

• It will probly get a bit worse than it currently is.. Im sure of that, but I don't think it will become similar to "The Last Ship" TV-Show lol.

• Mortality rates from corona are less than 0.5% if you're under 50 years old (given proper treatment). Not too much to worry about as long as health systems don't collapse.

Whether or not they collapse before a vaccine is found is a good question . If vaccine development is a matter of months I guess we'll be OK.

• No biz trips for the time being but personal trips have already been scheduled for the year :|

DomainPeon | IT-Related 4 Letter Domain Name Auction
    LEBRE Whitelisted Low-end Hosts

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator

farsighter said: Mortality rates from corona are less than 0.5% if you're under 50 years old (given proper treatment). Not too much to worry about as long as health systems don't collapse.

I agree with you.

I also read that 81% of those who get the virus would describe their symptoms to be similar to a mild cold.

Jon Biloh
  • vfusevfuse Member, Provider

It seems like Hetzner already has issues because of corona virus:

I'm not too worried about it, no cases in NL so far.

Thanked by 1shillshocked

NIXStats monitoring Web, Server(Linux, Windows - $6.95/m), Logging (Free!) and Blacklists (start at 512 for $3.75/m) - Uptime Report - API Docs

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Provider

How do the numbers correspond to regular seasonal influenza anyone know?

edited February 24

@PulsedMedia said:
    How do the numbers correspond to regular seasonal influenza anyone know?

550,000 to 600,000 people die each year from the flu globally.

Thanked by 1vimalware
    Jon Biloh
  • From what I've read, @farsighter is right - you're at risk if you're old or sick, much less so if you're reasonably healthy.

I'm thinking that once this starts to spread in Africa, death counts will climb while remaining low in the first world. But I am not a doctor, just speculating.

Thanked by 1default

For LET support, please visit the support desk.

• JordJord Moderator, Provider

If I get it I get it, no point in worrying about it. My mother and stepdad just had a holiday in Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam and they are completely fine.

BaseServ Ltd - UK Shared DirectAdmin Hosting | Litespeed + Cloudlinux + Free Backups + Free Transfers.
    BaseServ Certified to ISO/IEC 27001:2013

Jord said: If I get it I get it, no point in worrying about it. My mother and stepdad just had a holiday in Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam and they are completely fine.

How long were they there for?

Did they enjoy themselves? I was in Vietnam for about a week earlier in 2019 and really enjoyed it.

Jon Biloh
  • JordJord Moderator, Provider

@jbiloh said:

Jord said: If I get it I get it, no point in worrying about it. My mother and stepdad just had a holiday in Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam and they are completely fine.

How long were they there for?

Did they enjoy themselves? I was in Vietnam for about a week earlier in 2019 and really enjoyed it.

2 weeks, yes they did thank you, mother wants to go back to Thailand for 2 weeks next year once everything is better.

BaseServ Ltd - UK Shared DirectAdmin Hosting | Litespeed + Cloudlinux + Free Backups + Free Transfers.
    BaseServ Certified to ISO/IEC 27001:2013

• seriesnseriesn Member, Provider

While the mortality % is extremely low, fear of uncertainty is high.

My portfolio looks like cars stuck in traffic Jam. So much red.....

• hzrhzr Member, Moderator

raindog308 said: death counts will climb while remaining low in the first world

Until the (less than 4 digit amount) ventilator beds or negative pressure rooms run out

• The end is nigh.

Fastmako (aff) - great VPS for your needs.

seriesn said: My portfolio looks like cars stuck in traffic Jam. So much red.....

I couldn't bring myself to login today and I am conservatively invested.

I wonder how those YOLO folks on Reddit are feeling right now. Many with options in play on already highly speculative stuff.

Jon Biloh
  • seriesnseriesn Member, Provider

@jbiloh said:

seriesn said: My portfolio looks like cars stuck in traffic Jam. So much red.....

I couldn't bring myself to login today and I am conservatively invested.

I wonder how those YOLO folks on Reddit are feeling right now. Many with options in play on already highly speculative stuff.

Ah! A fellow WSB member I see.

I took a sneak peak around 11:30, been depressed since then.

I can imagine it getting worse thanks to "WSB RobinHood" investors, who are cashing out without actually holding on to it.

• entrailzentrailz Member, Provider

Having issues sourcing multiple types of hardware due to the virus, feeling the effects without ever catching it!

• Yeah having issues sourcing the hardware I need, so I cracked open a Corona Light to fight the depression.
    Fight Corona with a Corona.

Thanked by 2raindog308 willK
  • hzr said: Until the (less than 4 digit amount) ventilator beds or negative pressure rooms run out

It's not the advanced treatment but rather the relatively high levels of sanitation, supportive therapy, clean water, abundant common meds, easy access to knowledgeable professionals, etc. It's better to be sick in the US, UK, Japan, France, etc. than in, say, Yemen.

It's also better to healthy in the US than in Yemen, but that's a different discussion.

Thanked by 1t0ny0

For LET support, please visit the support desk.

• This is a very scary thing, a couple of my family members have been bouncing around, flying from country to country and their definitely frightened being in the airports. Constantly questioning if its worth the risk.

• PhotonVPSPhotonVPS Member, Provider

In Taiwan now, cancelled Korea trip due to mandatory quarantine on the way back.

Psychz Networks - Dedicated Servers, Co-location | PhotonVPS - SSD Cloud | YardVPS - Storage VPS | Layer 7 DDoS Mitigation

6 Continents - 14 Cities - LAX, DAL, CHI, ASH, LON, AMS, JNB, TPE, TKY, BOM, GRU, BCN, SIN, SYD | Moscow & Seoul coming soon...

seriesn said: I can imagine it getting worse thanks to "WSB RobinHood" investors, who are cashing out without actually holding on to it.

The buy high sell low crowd never learns.

Then again I don't have the will power to log in and buy either, so I'm only half better. I assume we'll be down again tomorrow considering most financial markets closed at their lows. A clear sign the selling isn't over yet.

Jon Biloh
  • @raindog308 said:
    I'm thinking that once this starts to spread in Africa, death counts will climb while remaining low in the first world. But I am not a doctor, just speculating.

I've read this virus thrives in winter. In summer it will become very weak so respite is expected soon in China Thailand, Europe etc.

• The science is clear that most healthy people have nothing to worry about even if infected with Covid-19. Those above 50, or those with other health issues such as diabetes, or those who smoke (most causes of deaths are due to respiratory organ failure) are most at risk, alongside healthcare workers because they are constantly being exposed to high viral loads in hospitals.

What you should do is to stay hydrated, eat more fruits and vegetables, get exercise a couple of times a week and if you feel unwell, see a doctor and stay at home until you fully recover.

What you should not do is to wear masks everywhere you go because you are almost at no risk of infection 99 percent of the time. If everyone wears masks like a fashion accessory, that just depletes stocks so quickly nobody will have masks soon. Masks are only helpful for those who are ill and need to go out (don't spread infections) and for healthcare workers (their risk is so high that masks will confer significant protection).

Remember, we live in a world of microorganisms and you are infected by something daily but you don't know it because your immune system takes care of it. Covid-19 is not anything abnormal; it looks abnormal because of the attention given to it due to it being initially unknown to humans.

Finally, there is a rule of thumb when it comes to biological viruses: the more infectious it is, the lower the case fatality rate. The reason is simple: viruses need to rapidly infect hosts in order to ensure its continuity and existence. If it kills hosts faster than it can spread, the virus burns itself out. This is why infectious AND deadly viruses like Ebola initially infects a lot of people but also dies out very fast after killing most victims.

Covid-19 indeed resembles influenza more than SARS/MERS/Ebola, but having said that, even though the case fatality is low, say 0.5 percent, nobody can guarantee that you or your family won't be in that 0.5 percent. All we know is someone among those infected will be in the 0.5 percent who will die. I would say just live life normally, do what gives you satisfaction, and if the end has to come for you, well, you don't have a choice anyway.

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Follow latest deals on Twitter or Telegram

• dearroydearroy Member, Provider

250KMs away from Wuhan, having been stayed at home for over a month, not allowed to go anywhere else.

Shops are closed, so we have to purchase goods and daily goods online.

Thanked by 1FlamesRunner
  • @farsighter said:

@raindog308 said:

I've read this virus thrives in winter. In summer it will become very weak so respite is expected soon in China Thailand, Europe etc.

This assumption is based on SARS in 2003, as the 2019-nCov is related to SARS. But the recent outbreak in Singapore, --- which is always hot and humid, --- suggests the Corona virus can survive in the summer weather.

My site, powered by Netlify and Let's Encrypt.

dearroy said: 250KMs away from Wuhan, having been stayed at home for over a month, not allowed to go anywhere else.

How badly do you expect that the economy is getting hit in China?

Jon Biloh
  • @dearroy said:
    250KMs away from Wuhan, having been stayed at home for over a month, not allowed to go anywhere else.

Do you think that theres more casualties than what's being reported?

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Provider

God bless my customers

• cociucociu Member, Provider

Spectr said: Do you think that theres more casualties than what's being reported?

i am 100% sure ...

• I had flights going to Hong Kong next week, and on April 2 and April 16, but those got canceled by the airline company.

Face masks prices went up by 400%.

• CConnerCConner Member, Provider

Masks just give a false sense of security. It's a virus that mainly spreads through the air you breath. The holes in face masks are nowhere near small enough to block them out.

• Live in a megacity about 500 km away from Wuhan. Get back to work since yesterday. Not many people on the streets. Saw a pack of wild dogs and a group of rats on my way to work. Quite a rare sight.

Thanked by 2level6 dedicados
  • MadRabbitMadRabbit Member
    edited February 25

@stefeman said:
    Following the situation in Finland, and planning to buy FFP2/FFP3 facemask from K-Rauta construction shop on friday. Theyre already sold out from pharmacies even though nobody uses them yet.

As for the food, if it starts spreading suddenly, might have to stock stuff into freezer beforehand and buy a little bit of can food.. Doesen't hurt to prepare a little.

I'm fairly confident in our country when it comes to public healthcare luckily.. even in a crisis..

In Estonia K-Rauta said they are all sold out and not expecting any from the Finnish warehouses. at least that's what my local k rauta said to me.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Member, Provider

I can't say that I am too worried, however, I figured that cancelling our attendance over at CloudFest this year is the right thing to do, considering there will be a couple of thousand people from different nationalities. It's a very unfortunate thing, as I had scheduled a lot of meetings with clients and partners and was very eager for it to come, but I'd prefer not to risk my and my team's health.

In regards to masks - I have not bought any, neither see myself wearing one for the time being, although I see a lot of people on the streets with masks. Currently, no cases of corona in Bulgaria anyway.

Overall, I'd say that the media has exaggerated the situation, as usual.

Alex

AlphaVPS - OpenVZ and KVM, DDoS Protected VPS in London, UK | Sofia, BG | Nuremberg, DE | NYC, US and LA, US. Cheap Dedicated servers with fast delivery!

• I am currently in Korea, but I have what I think is a healthy lifestyle, keep myself cleaned, and don't stay outside for long, so I'm not that concerned. I wore mask all the time, so that isn't much of a difference from usual stuff. Honestly, the only difference it made is that I spam on a forum every time an emergency alert arrives on my phone. But then again, I don't know what it's like in other regions like Daegu, where a bunch of cultists contracted Corona.

• @cociu said:

Spectr said: Do you think that theres more casualties than what's being reported?

i am 100% sure ...

I fear the WHO and governments of the world are serverly under reporting how bad this actually is. Keep everyone calm. What good would social unrest do for the economy if everyone knew how many people were actually dying and how bad it actually is. Panic, riots, economic collapse. I'd say they're lying about it until it can't be lied about it anymore.

I really do hope I'm wrong though

• SpectrSpectr Member
    edited February 25

@willK said:
    Live in a megacity about 500 km away from Wuhan. Get back to work since yesterday. Not many people on the streets. Saw a pack of wild dogs and a group of rats on my way to work. Quite a rare sight.

How many casualties do you estimate?
    Edit: if you've seen any/what you know

• @Spectr said:
    Do you think that theres more casualties than what's being reported?

Time will tell.

On 8 January 2020, Iran launched ballistic missiles at the military bases of the United States in Iraq. While the U.S. initially assessed that none of its service members were injured or killed in the attack, the U.S. Department of Defense ultimately said that 109 service members had been diagnosed and treated for traumatic brain injuries from the attack.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Martyr_Soleimani

• defaultdefault Member
    edited February 25

I have no fear. This is one dangerous virus (because there is no vaccine, yet) but I also think there is a lot of panic created with the purpose of manipulating population and increase sales (from masks and medicine to food supplies). I trust the World Health Organization, and I strongly believe that humanity will prevail. Maybe, after all this is over, humanity will be reminded again not to play with (fire) viruses.

Fastmako (aff) - great VPS for your needs.

• @CConner said:
    Masks just give a false sense of security. It's a virus that mainly spreads through the air you breath. The holes in face masks are nowhere near small enough to block them out.

Yes, the holes in a face mask is not big enough to block the virus. However, aerosol transmission occurs under very rare situations, e.g. where you are in an enclosed environment (typically with air conditioning) with many infected people breathing/coughing/sneezing into the air causing a high concentration of virus in the air (e.g. in hospitals). You need to be in such an environment for 15-30 minutes to be in danger.

For most people, traveling in public do not pose any risk, especially when you don't go around touching random stuff with your hands and then touching your face.

So while it is a good point that most people DO NOT need to wear masks on a routine basis, the aerosol transmission probability is actually negligible for most of the population.

Thanked by 1vimalware

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Follow latest deals on Twitter or Telegram

• poissonpoisson Member
    edited February 25

@Spectr said:

@cociu said:

i am 100% sure ...

I fear the WHO and governments of the world are serverly under reporting how bad this actually is. Keep everyone calm. What good would social unrest do for the economy if everyone knew how many people were actually dying and how bad it actually is. Panic, riots, economic collapse. I'd say they're lying about it until it can't be lied about it anymore.

I really do hope I'm wrong though

If they are really under-reporting, we all will be dead soon enough. Why fear? Doesn't change the outcome.

Anyway, I believe that the best antidote to your fear is this:

The only things certain in life are death and taxes.

• MadRabbitMadRabbit Member
    edited February 25

Just reading that some experimental drug was given to two patients and we should know the outcome soon

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/24/investing/gilead-sciences-coronavirus-who-remdesivir/index.html