Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LEB/LET Improvements & Feedback - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LEB/LET Improvements & Feedback

Comments

• LeeLee Veteran

Yeah, sorry LEB.

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

@Lee said:
    Yeah, sorry LEB.

Yes I spoke to him about it three weeks ago, he told me it would be removed. I've just asked him again to see when it will be removed.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • The requests section needs to add a template to new thread posts for all the common requirements: cpu, ram, storage, bandwidth, speed, location and budget. Too many shitty threads started with poor subject and too little information in the first post and then needs 10 replies asking for details.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

TimboJones said: The requests section needs to add a template to new thread posts for all the common requirements: cpu, ram, storage, bandwidth, speed, location and budget. Too many shitty threads started with poor subject and too little information in the first post and then needs 10 replies asking for details.

Will check that out to see how we would achieve that using Vanilla. Thanks for the suggestion!

Jord said: Yes I spoke to him about it three weeks ago, he told me it would be removed. I've just asked him again to see when it will be removed.

Yep this is still on the docket. Will be resolved once we update Vanilla in about a week's time or so.

angstrom said: There's a small typo in both lists: @JaackH --> @JackH

Thanks for pointing that out. Will get it fixed.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

It's kind of ironic that @Nekki , who has left LET, is still a moderator. He himself said that it was a temporary position/title during BF/CM so that he could manage the BF/CM threads more easily.

(Not that I mind, but it's kind of ironic)

angstrom said: It's kind of ironic that @Nekki , who has left LET, is still a moderator. He himself said that it was a temporary position/title during BF/CM so that he could manage the BF/CM threads more easily.

I've sent him an email a few days ago asking if he is interesting in continuing the role.

@jbiloh said:

angstrom said: It's kind of ironic that @Nekki , who has left LET, is still a moderator. He himself said that it was a temporary position/title during BF/CM so that he could manage the BF/CM threads more easily.

I've sent him an email a few days ago asking if he is interesting in continuing the role.

If you have his independent email address, he may (or may not) reply, but if you mailed him here on LET, he won't reply.

In any case, he made it clear to everyone that his moderator role was temporary and that he was leaving LET for the foreseeable future.

@angstrom said:

@jbiloh said:

If you have his independent email address, he may (or may not) reply, but if you mailed him here on LET, he won't reply.

In any case, he made it clear to everyone that his moderator role was temporary and that he was leaving LET for the foreseeable future.

Yes, I emailed his personal email.

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

@jbiloh said:

@angstrom said:

@jbiloh said:

Yes, I emailed his personal email.

As far as I know, he's not coming back. He did a post where he said he was retiring from all forums. To spend time with his family.

Jord said: As far as I know, he's not coming back. He did a post where he said he was retiring from all forums. To spend time with his family.

Boo!

But that is a pretty good reason which I can respect.

Jord said: Yes I spoke to him about it three weeks ago, he told me it would be removed. I've just asked him again to see when it will be removed.

This has been completed.

This week there has been a bunch more progress on Low End Box and Low End Talk:

1. We recovered the logins to Twitter and we've setup the auto-posting to Twitter from LEB. Effective today all new LEB posts will be mirrored on Twitter just like has been happening for a few weeks on Facebook. Thanks to @jar for his help on that.

2. Installed a subscribe to post comments plugin on Low End Box. There is a bug with the email confirmation right now that we are working to solve but that should be set to go shortly.

3. Changed the "last 5 comments" to "last 8 comments" on the right side module on Low End Box in response to a user request.

4. Upgraded our WP SMTP Mail plugin to pro so we can make sure deliverability is working properly.

5. Updated the main navigation header to remove a few old links to clean things up.

6. Changed/improved the main sort index to add some more terms and geographies:

1. Offers and content for Low End Box are now written through the end of April and we continue to seek high quality offers from reputable providers.

2. Progress has been made in cleaning up the back end codes, modules/plugins/theme to make things faster.

3. LEB and LET are now both served via Litespeed

4. On Low End Talk to the LEB connector box for recent offers was removed.

5. Prep work is underway to test things for upgrading Vanilla on LET.

Just keeping everyone updated!

• jbiloh said: we continue to seek high quality offers from reputable providers.

jbiloh said: we continue to seek high quality offers from reputable providers.

@SCAM_DONT_BUY said:

Thank you for stressing my point. :)

Any other suggestions or ideas from anyone?

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited March 2020

You can give @angstrom a break and include post counts next to people's names. Or at least on mouse over.

@TimboJones said:
    You can give @angstrom a break and include post counts next to people's names. Or at least on mouse over.

:smiley:

I plan to retire soon anyway! (Yeah, I know, I've said this before, but really, the time is coming. Trying to keep up with all of the freshly signed-up spammers, shills, necroposters, irrelevance-posters, unrealism-posters, etc. is too much work!)

Thanked by 1TimboJones

@TimboJones said:

I'll look into this.

Today I went through all the old content on Low End Box that was basically lost to categories where there was no links to view. I simplified the categories, and added a link for "Editorials & News" on the home page top navigation (there is some cool old school content there you guys should check out): https://lowendbox.com/category/editorial/

I also added some more options to the "Specializations" box on the home page to include Web Hosting and VPNs.

We also added HTML email templates to the comment subscription feature and HTML emails to the new post notification feature.

More enhancements coming tomorrow too!

Couple improvements today:

1. Fixed a bug on LEB with the help of LET community members: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/163625/bug-on-low-end-box-i-could-use-help-with#latest

2. Fixed a navigation header bug on LEB

3. Cleaned up some more back end stuff on LET

4. Made more tweaks to the hosting platform to enhance speed

5. Wrote a bunch of content such as interviews, offers and tutorials (to be posted over the next 60 days) and reached out to a couple dozen providers and long time members.

More progress folks!

A little update on the progress the last 24 hours:

1. Updated all of the templates on the LET support desk to include HTML formatting and a logo. Also fixed some grammatical issues and improved the instructions on how to interact with the support team (ie, don't reply via email).

2. Updated all canned messages on LET support desk to be cleaner and more precise.

3. Updated some settings for the anti spam comment filter on LEB so that there are fewer false positives.

4, Started conversations with a number of community members about writing tutorials and other interesting content for LEB (coming soon!).

1. Fixed an email bug with the LET support desk

That's all for now.

Hope everyone is doing ok this weekend.

• LeeLee Veteran

How much is Dustin paying you for that monthly advertising slot on LEB?

• @Lee said:

You mean Dustin B. Cisneros, a guy who worked at Alpharacks before they went belly-up, after a long advertising campaign on LEB, who now works at/owns RackNerd?

edited March 2020

@Lee said:

Their offers seem to attract a lot of attention and positive feedback, so we like that. There's no payment, of course. As I mentiomed in other threads recently I'm working hard to gather more and more offers with the eventual goal to post multiple offers per day (like how it was five years ago). Right now we don't have enough submissions to get there yet though.

• LeeLee Veteran

jbiloh said: Their offers seem to attract a lot of attention and positive feedback, so we like that.

Time and time again you prove things won't change.

@Lee said:

jbiloh said: Their offers seem to attract a lot of attention and positive feedback, so we like that.

Time and time again you prove things won't change.

Help me understand you're perspective because it's not coming through clearly for me.

The host you mentioned is being posted in accordance with our rules and their offers attract a lot of positive attention and feedback (so clearly the community values seeing their offers). The offers are unique and the provider is highly engaged (probably more than any other on LEB) supporting their customers and answering questions in the features. These are all positives.

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited March 2020

@jbiloh my 2cents, while you shouldn't be limiting how much money 1 is spending to buy ad slots, but having 1 or 2 provider, completley flooding both LE/LEB is overwhelming.

@seriesn said:
    @jbiloh my 2cents, while you shouldn't be limiting how much money 1 is spending to buy ad slots, but having 1 or 2 provider, completley flooding both LE/LEB is overwhelming.

I appreciate the thought and do see your point. I'll reach out to a couple of the big advertisers and ask them to increase the variety of their banners.

Demand has increased a lot lately in those ad spots which is nice to see (impressions are also more than double vs. 90 days ago).

• seriesn said: @jbiloh my 2cents, while you shouldn't be limiting how much money 1 is spending to buy ad slots, but having 1 or 2 provider, completley flooding both LE/LEB is overwhelming.

It's for friends. Chris, the other Chris, and Dustin. And the rest are some others who have money to waste.

• @jbiloh said:

@Lee said:

Their offers seem to attract a lot of attention and positive feedback, so we like that. There's no payment, of course. As I mentiomed in other threads recently I'm working hard to gather more and more offers with the eventual goal to post multiple offers per day (like how it was five years ago). Right now we don't have enough submissions to get there yet though.

Honestly boss, why not do what made LEB famous to begin with? Mostly super useful tutorials, fun contents, useful articles, 1 featured advertisement, that used to last 3-4 days and getting a spot would mean you were the chosen one.