Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buyvm.net down ? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Buyvm.net down ?

2»

Comments

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2020

Francisco said: We are using the ultra fit 3s (metal bodies) since they fit inside the chassis in the internal port.

Interesting, I wasn't aware that there was ever a good (non-dying) version of this. I think the internals of the bad Ultra models are the same as in the Ultra Fits. Maybe a metal body helps for heat dissipation, though, when constructed correctly...

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@dahartigan said:
    At first I thought the USB thing was a joke, but it seems serious..

Every server motherboard built in the last 10 years has an internal USB port (facing inside the case) or an SD card slot. There's no point wasting a drive slot or SATA port for like 1GB of data in a read-heavy write-rarely scenario. It just sucks when they randomly die in a non-clustered environment.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

joepie91 said: Interesting, I wasn't aware that there was ever a good (non-dying) version of this.

The cruzers have been basically perfect for us.

The Ultra Fit's I got a couple years ago have also been perfect.

The only problem childs have been the ones in 2019. They started to change to pure plastic so we're assuming they failed during any sort of minor write burst, etc.

We had around 40 of the plastics in LV that we had to pull out just last year and replace with metal cruzer's. All have been dandy since, but will be swapped to SSD's during the Ryzen overhaul this month.

Francisco

Thanked by 3Foul Hxxx kkrajk
  • Francisco said: Ryzen overhaul this month

Eagerly waiting on crazy annual resellers after that...

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

kkrajk said: Eagerly waiting on crazy annual resellers after that...

The upgrade is for slices, not shared.

I'll get an official email out soon documenting when it all happens :)

Thanks for the interest and feedback everyone.

Francisco

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • @dontknow said:
    This is a very long term issue in my opinion, it's been going on for months. I've heard nothing but excuses for months (always Sandisk's fault, or some other issue). My VPS is up and down like a yo-yo. I don't care whose fault it is, I just want a VPS that works! -- Like 99% of other companies I use.

I know @dontknow went to rant mode, but I kinda agree with the concern he raised. While @Francisco Provides great service as per price plan, buyvm kinda falls down in uptime aspect. Being a old (maybe loyal too) customer, I must admit maintaining consistent uptime for long time had been impossible to me. There's always some kinda weird reasons that you never hear from other providers (may be other providers sugercoat them, who knows). Few of my servers with other providers have almost 2+ year uptime (shit, need to update kernel on them) while none of buyvm has 1+ year.

While I am not loosing millions because of these things but It still annoys me. I will keep using buyvm but it would be awesome if my vm does not get rebooted for next 2-3 years atleast.

• @Ataurbd said:

@dontknow said:
    This is a very long term issue in my opinion, it's been going on for months. I've heard nothing but excuses for months (always Sandisk's fault, or some other issue). My VPS is up and down like a yo-yo. I don't care whose fault it is, I just want a VPS that works! -- Like 99% of other companies I use.

I know @dontknow went to rant mode, but I kinda agree with the concern he raised. While @Francisco Provides great service as per price plan, buyvm kinda falls down in uptime aspect. Being a old (maybe loyal too) customer, I must admit maintaining consistent uptime for long time had been impossible to me. There's always some kinda weird reasons that you never hear from other providers (may be other providers sugercoat them, who knows). Few of my servers with other providers have almost 2+ year uptime (shit, need to update kernel on them) while none of buyvm has 1+ year.

While I am not loosing millions because of these things but It still annoys me. I will keep using buyvm but it would be awesome if my vm does not get rebooted for next 2-3 years atleast.

Well even when you run on Microsoft Azure your VM gets rebooted every once in a while.

Windows Azure updates the host environment approximately once every 2-3 months to keep the environment secure for all applications and virtual machines running on the platform. This update process may result in your VM restarting, causing downtime to your applications/services hosted by the Virtual Machines feature.

If you have a provider that doesn't reboot your VPS he either doesn't install any patches on his host machine (which is terrible) or he runs some kind of HA setup (which is expensive) or maybe he runs something like kernelcare to patch without rebooting.

Either way restarts can always happen and you should just make sure there are no manual actions on your VPS that need to be done after a reboot. If you want to eleminate reboots entirly you should probably go for a dedicated server.

• @marvel said:
    Either way restarts can always happen and you should just make sure there are no manual actions on your VPS that need to be done after a reboot. If you want to eleminate reboots entirly you should probably go for a dedicated server.

Agreed.