Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner Online chitchat - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner Online chitchat

Comments

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited June 2020

@Hetzner_OL

Can't you do anything better than a single E5-1650 v3 for the SX-Line servers? I'm forced to think about colocating since the CPU is so weak for SX-Line. But I'd rather rent at minimal starting cost than spend 3-4k € for a 100TB server.

You should refresh the SX-Line.. the storage amount is very good for the price, but I'd gladly pay a little more for decent CPU. I just won't be able to match the storage and my usage with that kind of CPU.

For example, combine 10x10TB SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM with dual E5-26xx v2/3/4 or AMD or cheap Intel silver scalable and 128 GB of RAM and make it a little over 200€/m and you'd have insane amount of sales. Since its a storage server, the users are also long term customers so you'd have less amount of cancelcations within 14 days compared to other ranges.

I'd even pay the setup fees for such server.

• Tutorials are awesome, thanks!

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • Been using Hetzner cloud for about 12m for most of my projects. @Hetzner_OL I would also like to add a +1 for EPYC with CEPH. Do you have any page where we can see requested features and vote on them?

Thanked by 1GwynethLlewelyn
  • When AX61 be at germany loc ? >: waiting over 1.5 months! and the eta were couple of weeks

Thanked by 1rick2610
  • Your server always keeps going down. I have got hardware replacement from you also. Still, it gets down.
    My server load is also not too high. So there is some issue with your hardware.

• @DataBuster said:
    Your server always keeps going down. I have got hardware replacement from you also. Still, it gets down.

So? Send them a ticket, have a technician check your server.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy
    edited June 2020

Is anyone able to access Hetzner’s website?

Edit: Nevermind. It’s accessible now.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • @Tempest said:

@DataBuster said:
    Your server always keeps going down. I have got hardware replacement from you also. Still, it gets down.

So? Send them a ticket, have a technician check your server.

Last time they said everything is fine, but we can change hardware. I also shared them logs of hardware issue.
    & they take 18 hours for server check.

• ViipaleViipale Member
    edited June 2020

Need some help to decide. Going to build load balanced ha webserver and need to decide do I choose dedicated nvme servers or cloud servers. On cloud I can always rescale it but on dedicated I have fixed resources. Have been thinking also that I could take one or two cloud and one dedicated server. Is there any point on that? What you would do? Have been running virtual machines from 2005 and thinking that there is no going back for dedicated machines (only for hosts ofcourse). Only problem also with cloud is that you cannot get cpx51 servers so you cannot rescale from cpx41 to cpx51. Is there a big difference with cpx41 vs cx51? Which one has better cpu?

Sometimes it is just hard to decide :D

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

@stefeman -- I will forward your comment to our product development team. However, I can't make any promises that they will 1) change the CPU or 2) update the SX line in the near future. If you are truly interested in a custom configuration, I would advise you to write a support request via Robot. I am not sure what our team will be able to offer you. --Katie

@noexittv said:
    Been using Hetzner cloud for about 12m for most of my projects. @Hetzner_OL I would also like to add a +1 for EPYC with CEPH. Do you have any page where we can see requested features and vote on them?

I can pass that on for you. I believe there are a few other people who have requested this already. We don't publish the wish list, though. --Katie

Thanked by 1GwynethLlewelyn

@Advicerxyz said: When AX61 be at germany loc ? >: waiting over 1.5 months! and the eta were couple of weeks

Unfortunately, I don't have any news on an ETA for this yet. I can reassure you that it really is part of our plans to add it to one of the German locations. I am trying to avoid naming a set date that we might not be able to meet and disappointing you further. And there are several factors that could push the date back. Our team is still struggling with the unprecedented demand. We are working as hard as we can. --Katie

@Doutei said: @Hetzner_OL Any plan of adding PayPal as payment method to konsoleH?

To the best of my knowledge, it is 'not* possible for konsoleH to generate invoices for PayPal. I will pass on your request to add it as a payment method. I believe in some exceptional situations, we may allow konsoleH customers to pay via PayPal for an open invoice (= an invoice that konsoleH already created.) If you are allowed to do this, it would not be a permanent solution, but a temporary one. To ask if this is possible for you, please write a support request to our accounting team by going to your account on konsoleH. --Katie

@DataBuster said:
    Last time they said everything is fine, but we can change hardware. I also shared them logs of hardware issue.
    & they take 18 hours for server check.

If you still have an issue with the server, please open another ticket or respond to the last one. Please continue to communicate what troubleshooting you have already done yourself. There are lots of things on the admin side that may contribute to performance issues. Our team will naturally want to rule these out before replacing hardware. Unfortunately, I am not a technician, nor do I have access to our team's systems. So please use our ticket system. --Katie

• Hi @Hetzner_OL! Do your Cloud VPS include the recent peering agreement with DTAG?

• fLoofLoo Member

@sgheghele said:
    Hi @Hetzner_OL! Do your Cloud VPS include the recent peering agreement with DTAG?

This applies to all Hetzner services.

• @fLoo said:

@sgheghele said:
    Hi @Hetzner_OL! Do your Cloud VPS include the recent peering agreement with DTAG?

This applies to all Hetzner services.

Just sayin this was the best thing that happened to me being located on the East Coast of US. thank you for doing it (months back)

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider

@Hetzner_OL Will there be a promotion on servers without this summer's setup fee?

• debaserdebaser Member
    edited June 2020

@sgheghele said:

Looks like it... Here’s a traceroute running from the T-Mobile NL LTE network (which doesn’t have the best connection quality inside my house).

Traceroute
    --- Nice Trace to 116.203.20.156 ---

1) 192.168.43.1 (192.168.43.1) 20.022 ms, 20/20 ps, 0.0% loss
    [...]
    6) 84.241.225.42 (84.241.225.42) 47.806 ms, 19/19 ps, 0.0% loss [AS 31615]
    7) 80.157.130.241 (80.157.130.241) 53.488 ms, 19/19 ps, 0.0% loss [AS 3320]
    8) n-ea9-i.n.de.net.dtag.de (62.154.24.222) 50.856 ms, 10/19 ps, 47.4% loss [AS 3320]
    9) n-ea9-i.n.de.net.dtag.de (62.154.24.222) 60.923 ms, 10/19 ps, 47.4% loss [AS 3320]
    10) 80.157.206.242 (80.157.206.242) 56.012 ms, 4/20 ps, 80.0% loss [AS 3320]
    11) core11.nbg1.hetzner.com (213.239.203.137) 58.581 ms, 18/19 ps, 5.3% loss [AS 24940]
    12) spine1.cloud1.nbg1.hetzner.com (85.10.250.210) 55.334 ms, 16/19 ps, 15.8% loss [AS 24940]
    13) * * *
    14) 13689.your-cloud.host (116.203.163.121) 59.750 ms, 18/19 ps, 5.3% loss [AS 24940]
    15) * * *

Outgoing routes are easy to check yourself. My experience is that they do limit outgoing traffic to AS3320 a bit. So that if your traffic isn’t going to AS3320 directly, it will probably pass another transit provider. There’s probably some prepending going on.

Traceroute the other way
     4. core4.fra.hetzner.com0.0%   177    8.7   9.2   4.9  93.6  12.6
     5. ix-ae-55-0.tcore1.fr0-frankfurt.as6453.net0.0%   177    5.1   5.6   4.9  41.7   3.2
     6. if-ae-45-2.tcore2.fr0-frankfurt.as6453.net0.0%   177    5.1   5.4   5.0  26.3   1.8
     7. 80.156.162.1770.0%   177    8.6   6.2   5.6  21.3   1.9
     8. pd9ef3431.dip0.t-ipconnect.de0.0%   177   12.2  13.3  12.1  67.2   5.8
     9. ??? 

Thanked by 1sgheghele
  • Does anyone know if the 2nd Gen Epyc Cloud VPS Series do support Secure Encrypted Virtualization (SEV) & Secure Memory Encryption (SME) from the host node?

I couldn't find any info on the product page and in the Epyc Cloud announcement they made regarding the additional security features 2nd Gen Epyc offers. If someone already has a CPX VPS you could try enabling kernel support with

CONFIG_AMD_MEM_ENCRYPT=y

and then sudo dmesg | grep SME should output
    something like AMD Secure Memory Encryption (SME) active

I think those are valuable features this specific CPU Gen. offers and if Hetzner has them enabled they should probably add that somewhere in their marketing materials / product description.

In case those are specifically disabled, maybe Katie can say something why Hetzner made that decision to opt-out of those additional security features for customers as the performance decrease when enabled seems to be nominal.

Thanks upfront and have a great day.

• @Hetzner_OL said:
    @flufsor - Our dev team is still considering it, and it will depend on the amount of demand there is for it. I have already asked them to add a +1 for you for this on our customer wish list. ;) --Katie

Add another +1, please. :smiley:

• fLoofLoo Member

@EAgency said:
    Does anyone know if the 2nd Gen Epyc Cloud VPS Series do support Secure Encrypted Virtualization (SEV) & Secure Memory Encryption (SME) from the host node?
    Thanks upfront and have a great day.

Here u go

processor : 2
    vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
    cpu family : 23
    model : 1
    model name : AMD EPYC Processor (with IBPB)
    stepping : 2
    microcode : 0x1000065
    cpu MHz : 2495.312
    cache size : 512 KB
    physical id : 0
    siblings : 3
    core id : 2
    cpu cores : 3
    apicid : 2
    initial apicid : 2
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 13
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm rep_good nopl xtopology cpuid extd_apicid tsc_known_freq pni pclmulqdq ssse3 fma cx16 sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt aes xsave avx f16c rdrand hypervisor lahf_lm cmp_legacy cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw topoext ssbd ibpb vmmcall fsgsbase bmi1 avx2 smep bmi2 rdseed adx smap clflushopt sha_ni xsaveopt xsavec xgetbv1 arat
    bugs : fxsave_leak sysret_ss_attrs spectre_v1 spectre_v2 spec_store_bypass
    bogomips : 4990.62
    TLB size : 1024 4K pages
    clflush size : 64
    cache_alignment : 64
    address sizes : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
    power management:

Thanked by 2EAgency vimalware

@Vova1234 said: @Hetzner_OL Will there be a promotion on servers without this summer's setup fee?

We have a general policy of not announcing sales in advance; we prefer to surprise you with them. That being said, we are still working hard to meet a very large demand on many of our products, which has been in place for the last several months. Especially those that are typically most popular with the LET crowd have high demand. This, and other factors, have placed extra pressure on our team. And for that reason, I would be surprised if we were to announce a no setup fee sale. --Katie

@EAgency - I asked a colleague about this, and here is his answer: "SME and SEV are features that cannot be used directly inside a VM. SME is a feature to protect the DRAM from physical attacks, while SEV allows the hypervisor to run encrypted virtual machines. Unfortunately using SEV comes with a number of requirements (Q35 and UEFI-only) and challenges. Some of them are still under development, like live migration. Until these are working in a stable manner, SEV is not yet an option. However our CPX instance types already use the Q35 type, and we looking into making UEFI an option as well." If you have any other questions, please open a support ticket via Cloud Console. Or, if you're not yet a customer, you can reach our technicians by writing to them here: https://www.hetzner.com/support-form --Katie

Thanked by 1EAgency

If you were going to use a Hetzner DC as a setting for a TV show or movie, what genre/kind would it be?

I saw this photo today, and it made me think of a "bottle" episode I recently watched on the TV show "Community". I thought it would make an interesting place for a buddy-comedy bottle episode. What do you think? --Katie

• arw55arw55 Member

How to move cloud server from one DC to another? Is it even possible?

• boerndboernd Member

Create a snapshot from the cloud server and then launch a new one in the other location from that snapshot

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • arw55arw55 Member

@boernd said:
    Create a snapshot from the cloud server and then launch a new one in the other location from that snapshot

Will this keep my current IP address?

• boerndboernd Member

The server IP will change, but Floating IPs can be connected to the new server.

Thanked by 2arw55 Hetzner_OL
  • donkodonko Member

@Hetzner_OL a question, i received a email with title "Abuse Message Offene Portmapper-Dienste in AS24940", but i don't know if i need reply back to close this case or is not a abuse case like others?