Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

hostdoc is closing - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

hostdoc is closing

Comments

• @Clouvider said:

@dahartigan said:

@TimboJones said:

@Clouvider said:

@dahartigan said:

@Clouvider said:
    wouldn't you say the same thing before about HostDoc?

I said his services were excellent, which they were. I don't ever recall having the confidence that hostdoc would be around for a long time like I do here.. if you can find a quote of me saying otherwise, I'll happily admit I was wrong.

But you endorsed it nevertheless

He also said cociu has better English than many native English speakers... he's not exactly trying to rehab his credibility.

@Clouvider also reckons that Intel is superior to AMD, so it seems we're at a crossroads of opinions here ;)

I also love eating vegemite and I prefer Linux over Windows.. my judgement credibility is horribly low it seems :)

Mate, fact is you’re endorsing another shop that is going partially after the same target audience without necessary information. Same as you were endorsing HostDoc while likely having insider info that should probably make you not to.

I can "endorse" whoever I choose, and it seems like you're very offended that I've made it clear I would never want to touch your service with a 10 foot pole with the way you carry on.

Then yiu went after your boss at the end, publicly, using privileged information from the time you worked there, which surely will result in anyone in the industry thinking Really hard before ever offering you a job, but hey, that’s just my take on the professionalism you have shown. You’re trying to disassociate yourself from this mess, while in fact you have helped made it.

That's a bit of a beat up, but I'll bite. First, he wasn't my boss - you maybe missed the part where I just volunteered my time to help a friend.. boss is hilariously overstating the relationship we had! If by privileged information you mean confirming that there were serious issues that were already public at that point? Sure.. whatever helps paint the picture that I'm a monster.. Professionalism is something that, unlike you, I'm not bound by. I am me, I represent myself and nobody else. I'm not disassociating myself from the mess, you must have missed the post I made where I acknowledged my involvement and regret the way things turned out.

The fact however is not that we believe Intel is superior, I said many times, we believe AMD is far superior, they however don’t target the segment of smaller servers with their Epyc offer, and their workstation CPU is by their own words not aimed at server use. Stop twisting my words to get off the hot seat.

Well, tell that to the many hosts who are using Ryzens and EPYCs.. surely big Clouvider can find a way to make it happen?

Jesus Dom, you're so easy to wind up ;)

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2020

@dahartigan said:

@Clouvider said:

@dahartigan said:

@TimboJones said:

@Clouvider said:

@dahartigan said:

@Clouvider said:

I said his services were excellent, which they were. I don't ever recall having the confidence that hostdoc would be around for a long time like I do here.. if you can find a quote of me saying otherwise, I'll happily admit I was wrong.

He also said cociu has better English than many native English speakers... he's not exactly trying to rehab his credibility.

@Clouvider also reckons that Intel is superior to AMD, so it seems we're at a crossroads of opinions here ;)

I also love eating vegemite and I prefer Linux over Windows.. my judgement credibility is horribly low it seems :)

Mate, fact is you’re endorsing another shop that is going partially after the same target audience without necessary information. Same as you were endorsing HostDoc while likely having insider info that should probably make you not to.

I can "endorse" whoever I choose, and it seems like you're very offended that I've made it clear I would never want to touch your service with a 10 foot pole with the way you carry on.

And please don’t - no hard feelings here.

Then yiu went after your boss at the end, publicly, using privileged information from the time you worked there, which surely will result in anyone in the industry thinking Really hard before ever offering you a job, but hey, that’s just my take on the professionalism you have shown. You’re trying to disassociate yourself from this mess, while in fact you have helped made it.

That's a bit of a beat up, but I'll bite. First, he wasn't my boss - you maybe missed the part where I just volunteered my time to help a friend.. boss is hilariously overstating the relationship we had! If by privileged information you mean confirming that there were serious issues that were already public at that point? Sure.. whatever helps paint the picture that I'm a monster.. Professionalism is something that, unlike you, I'm not bound by. I am me, I represent myself and nobody else. I'm not disassociating myself from the mess, you must have missed the post I made where I acknowledged my involvement and regret the way things turned out.

Well, whether you volunteered or have been employed, you had a tag, you were his rep. You have used insider info to beat them up. There’s no way anyone serious could trust you with their own knowing your post history here.

The fact however is not that we believe Intel is superior, I said many times, we believe AMD is far superior, they however don’t target the segment of smaller servers with their Epyc offer, and their workstation CPU is by their own words not aimed at server use. Stop twisting my words to get off the hot seat.

Well, tell that to the many hosts who are using Ryzens and EPYCs.. surely big Clouvider can find a way to make it happen?

We use Epyc, we recommend Epyc, we don’t recommend using soho gear, which Ryzen is by AMD own admission, in a server.

Jesus Dom, you're so easy to wind up ;)

Grow up.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
    edited February 2020

@MikeA said:

@dahartigan said:

I think he is really referring to the Ryzen stuff in servers, surely he knows Epyc is superior to most of the Intel stuff now.

We were early adopters of Epyc, don’t forget, with VMHaus - a member of the community here - being the very first Client to go live with us literally the day the first units shipped.

I’d love to replace E3/Xeon E with a competing AMD platform, but there's none yet. Every time I meet AMD’s account manager I ask for it and I point it out.

• @Clouvider said:

@dahartigan said:

@Clouvider said:

@dahartigan said:

@TimboJones said:

@Clouvider said:

@dahartigan said:

@Clouvider said:
    Grow up.

• @Clouvider said:

@dahartigan said:

@Clouvider said:

@dahartigan said:

@TimboJones said:

@Clouvider said:

@dahartigan said:

@Clouvider said:

And please don’t - no hard feelings here.

Well, whether you volunteered or have been employed, you had a tag, you were his rep. You have used insider info to beat them up. There’s no way anyone serious could trust you with their own knowing your post history here.

That's your opinion, and I can see why you would be motivated to impress that upon others. The truth is that I respected anything confidential, even to this day. The only information that I revealed which was even remotely "insider" was that there were indeed other reports of the data leak. I really don't appreciate the narrative you're trying really hard to paint here.

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

Ladies I have one question, who the fuck is Oliver?

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@dahartigan

I'm with @Clouvider on that one (intel/AMD). Simple reason: perspective.

There are well known perspectives like "performance vs. cost" but there are also perspectives like "what fits my segment best?". Plus there is the reality in which probably only extremely few low end customers would be willing to suddenly pay $10 instead of $6, because switching a low end node to Epyc or even just to Ryzen very much increases cost and hence price.

Of course 98% of customers on an old Xeon node would say "yes!" when asked whether they'd like a more secure (and faster) system. But when asked whether they'd be willing to pay double the price of what they pay now they get quiet very quickly.

So, as much as we may dislike it, at least in the low end segment old Xeons often actually are the preferable and preferred choice.

And btw, there are also technical perspectives looking from which intel actually is better than AMD, because Zen, while being better overall, is not better everywhere. There are for example some things to do with details of handling certain operations or with prefetch depth where modern Xeon actually are better than Zen, even Zen2.
    Now, for most users those are irrelevant details but for quite a few large operations they may make Xeons preferable over AMD (and yes, for other task types AMD may be the better choice).

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@Jord said:

Oliver Twist.

Thanked by 2dahartigan Jord
  • @thedp said:

@Jord said:

Oliver Twist.

Oliver Hardy

• @vyas11 said:

@thedp said:

@Jord said:

Oliver Twist.

Oliver Hardy

Oliver Douglas

• @vyas11 said:

@thedp said:

@Jord said:

Oliver Twist.

Oliver Hardy

Oliver Kahn

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited February 2020

@dahartigan said:

@vyas11 said:

@thedp said:

@Jord said:

Oliver Twist.

Oliver Hardy

Oliver Douglas

Oliver Cromwell ??

And the correct answer is..

• @Clouvider said:

I am not sure if it is actually right to keep quiet about privileged information involving potential ethical wrong-doings that results in real-world harm. I would trade insinuations about my professionalism for doing the right thing, but that's me.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
    edited February 2020

@poisson said:

@Clouvider said:

I am not sure if it is actually right to keep quiet about privileged information involving potential ethical wrong-doings that results in real-world harm. I would trade insinuations about my professionalism for doing the right thing, but that's me.

If he was aware of them, the actual right thing to do was to immediately report them to ICO at the time, not to use it months later as a sword to pierce Doc's reputation when it suited him.

Don't get me wrong, this is a mess and a mess of Docs' own creation, but it should have been handled differently to be called professional.

There's a proper process to follow; you can't just go rouge and blow the whistle before the process is followed through first...

• @Clouvider said:

If he was aware of them, the actual right thing to do was to immediately report them to ICO at the time, not to use it months later as a sword to pierce Doc's reputation when it suited him.

Don't get me wrong, this is a mess and a mess of Docs' own creation, but it should have been handled differently to be called professional.

There's a proper process to follow; you can't just go rouge and blow the whistle before the process is followed through first...

And then get skewered for "betraying" Doc's trust? No-win situation it seems.

• dahartigandahartigan Member
    edited February 2020

@Clouvider said:

@poisson said:

@Clouvider said:

You can't seriously have expected me to rat him out to the ICO, right? That's not even my duty to do that. Imagine if one of your employees just ratted you out like that? You're insane with your arguments sometimes Dom and this is another example.

I don't think you understand just how ironic it is that you're lecturing someone on LET about professionalism..

Go find a thread somewhere that someone needs some education on GDPR or something. Whatever it is you're trying to achieve here can't honestly be worth your time, right?

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • Mmm, tasty popcorn..

Thanked by 1dahartigan

Meh, I have better things to do.

Thanked by 2dahartigan pike
  • Clouvider said: If he was aware of them, the actual right thing to do was to immediately report them to ICO at the time, not to use it months later as a sword to pierce Doc's reputation when it suited him.

Is dahartigan EUer? I thought he's AUS, and WTF is ICO, I only know ICQ, you expect everyone know your EU law?

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • @webdev said:

Clouvider said: If he was aware of them, the actual right thing to do was to immediately report them to ICO at the time, not to use it months later as a sword to pierce Doc's reputation when it suited him.

Is dahartigan EUer? I thought he's AUS, and WTF is ICO, I only know ICQ, you expect everyone know your EU law?

Yeah I'm Australian. ICO is ICQ spelt wrong as far as I'm concerned. Don't worry about him, he just likes to create situations where he gets to ramble on about EU laws etc.

Thanked by 1pike

@webdev said:

Clouvider said: If he was aware of them, the actual right thing to do was to immediately report them to ICO at the time, not to use it months later as a sword to pierce Doc's reputation when it suited him.

I have no idea. We’re talking about a UK company here and so UK law. Don’t know what you’re on about.

• Why is everyone fighting?

Let's talk about the meaning of life.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@seriesn said:
    Why is everyone fighting?

Exactly. I am here for deals. Not fight. $2.99/yr. Thanks

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @isunbejo said:

@Mariomk said:

Thanks, I will relay that info, already lost myself hahaha, thank you for the help.

for lazy sysadmin like me,live backup -> restore (incidental/not for backup daily) :wink:

install same OS and from restore machine :

rsync -auHxv --numeric-ids --numeric-owner  --warning=no-file-ignored --sparse --exclude=/etc/fstab --exclude=/etc/network/* --exclude=/proc/* --exclude=/tmp/* --exclude=/sys/* --exclude=/dev/* --exclude=/mnt/* --exclude=/run/* --exclude=/boot/* --exclude=/root/* root@SRC-IP-SERVER:/* /
    > 
    > reboot
    > 

*just adjust the excluded directory according to the OS system environment

Thanks man, will try it out

• @seriesn it is 42 brother, now on to the next topic.

Thanked by 2uptime seriesn
  • xaocxaoc Member
    edited February 2020

The only thing @dahartigan did wrong imo is admit to loving vegemite. That's a huge no`no in my book. -_-

• @xaoc said:
    The only thing @dahartigan did wrong imo is admit to loving vegemite. That's a huge no`no in my book. -_-

I had to look that up :-) cheers

Thanked by 3xaoc uptime dahartigan
  • @xaoc said: [...]

To be fair, Vegemite is 2.3% potassium

Not great, not terrible :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegemite#Nutritional_information

• uptime said: To be fair, Vegemite is 2.3% potassium

Not great, not terrible

No, vegemite is definitively terrible.

• @FootKaput said:

uptime said: To be fair, Vegemite is 2.3% potassium

Not great, not terrible

No, vegemite is definitively terrible.

It contains 2.3% Australian potassium, so it can't be terrible.