Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

hostdoc is closing - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

hostdoc is closing

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@dahartigan said:

@Clouvider said:
    wouldn't you say the same thing before about HostDoc?

I said his services were excellent, which they were. I don't ever recall having the confidence that hostdoc would be around for a long time like I do here.. if you can find a quote of me saying otherwise, I'll happily admit I was wrong.

But you endorsed it nevertheless

• @Clouvider said:

@dahartigan said:

@Clouvider said:

I said his services were excellent, which they were. I don't ever recall having the confidence that hostdoc would be around for a long time like I do here.. if you can find a quote of me saying otherwise, I'll happily admit I was wrong.

In all fairness, there was no evidence to suggest anything to the contrary. Hindsight is 20/20.

• @poisson said:

@Clouvider said:

@dahartigan said:

@Clouvider said:

In all fairness, there was no evidence to suggest anything to the contrary. Hindsight is 20/20.

At least in the low-end domain, it's difficult (as customers) to make predictions about the longevity of a provider, which is what I think @Clouvider's remark was referring to. No one thought that @HostDoc would suddenly throw in the towel, and only a few months ago, nearly everyone was raving about their services.

NexusBytes look very solid, and nearly everyone is raving about their services, but (if I'm not mistaken) they've existed in their present form only since the end of last summer, so (again) I think that it's difficult (as customers) to make predictions about their longevity even if we presently feel positive about their future. (For comparison, HostDoc was over two years old.)

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • @poisson said:
    Hindsight is 20/20.

Well it used to be, in the good old days!

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Thanked by 2Falzo poisson
  • @Clouvider said:

@dahartigan said:

@Clouvider said:

I thought we already established this? I'd say your problem is less about who I have endorsed and is more about who I haven't/won't endorse (in this case yourself) based on factors other than just longevity.

@angstrom said:

@poisson said:

@Clouvider said:

@dahartigan said:

@Clouvider said:

At least in the low-end domain, it's difficult (as customers) to make predictions about the longevity of a provider, which is what I think @Clouvider's remark was referring to. No one thought that @HostDoc would suddenly throw in the towel, and only a few months ago, nearly everyone was raving about their services.

That's a good interpretation of his comment and I agree it was a blindside that the doc called it quits.

NexusBytes look very solid, and nearly everyone is raving about their services, but (if I'm not mistaken) they've existed in their present form only since the end of last summer, so (again) I think that it's difficult (as customers) to make predictions about their longevity even if we presently feel positive about their future. (For comparison, HostDoc was over two years old.)

I agree, perhaps I was a little over-excited. In the grand scheme of things, I'd be genuinely shocked and disappointed if I was wrong about NexusBytes :-P

Thanked by 2angstrom xaoc
  • @angstrom said:

@poisson said:

@Clouvider said:

@dahartigan said:

@Clouvider said:

Very well put sir!

Here is how I see it. No one here knows for certain, that one will see the sun tomorrow morning or the moon tonight. Nothing is guaranteed in life. However, we try our best, every day, to live and aim for a better tomorrow (Gym, food, idling VPS, marriage etc.).

The same applies for Nexus Bytes. Our plans are driven by math and logics and if anyone looks at our promos or regular pricing, one can easily guess our vision and aim. By our, I mean, me. Our plans and pricing, to a certain extent, are not only sustainable but decently profitable. I have not copied any of the legends here, however, I spent enough time, learning their values and understanding what made them the greats, that they are today. I will never have the audacity to compete with them, but I can try to be like them. like a little brother :)

I do, however, can see the questions or concerns from industry leaders, such as Oliver ( @Clouvider ) or many veterans here such as yourself @angstrom . You guys are right to have that suspicion/concern, because, to put it quite frankly, even though NexusBytes existed for a while, been a local business, we have not had enough online presence. You guys have seen too many scams and bs businesses with cocky attitude.

I have always been worried about quick success and rapid growth, as that wasn't my goal nor target. I wanted to grow at a healthy and steady pace. However, many forum members, such as @poisson @vyas11 @dahartigan @jsg and many more that I can't remember the name right now, put their trust in my brand and has been more than generous with their valuable feedbacks. Which I have taken with an open mind, worked on and working on, to continue perfecting my craft/my business. This also resulted in exponential growth and a raving fan base, that I consider nothing less than a family.

I am a retailer and some forum members here, know me, in real life, met me and seen my businesses in person. All my previous ventures and current always had/have the same motto. Customer-first. Or for Nexus Bytes, Family first!

I have built this business, not based on "Top of the line hw" or big marketing budget, nor crazy price driven product line. I care about my product and too ass deep with the overall investment that, I can't back out, even if I want to, unless all I see in the foreseeable future is loss. However, I do have a "decent" business plan, growth plan, projection driven by analysis.

So yeah, give us/me a chance to prove ourselves (many said this in this forum and majority failed). We can't prove ourselves, without your business and your (end users) blessings. Feel free to use a magnifying glass to judge us and make a judgment call. But my good friend, never stop the love <3

So yeah, it is 8 in the morning, I had too much cereal for breakfast. Kinda over hyped, sorry for the rant.

Tldr; Today is what we have, now is where we are, let's make today the best day and now the best time :)

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited February 2020

seriesn said: .. I had too much cereal for breakfast.

Caffeine maybe? Now where's my Ibuprofen (not joking: RSI)?

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@seriesn

Not to be harsh, honestly not, but you paint me and my trust too big.

I did a review based on benchmarking some of your VPS products. Then I reported about it. No more no less.
    It is true that I like you and trust you but frankly, one doesn't need a lot of trust to spend less than $100/year with a provider. Plus whether I like you and trust you is my personal - and subjective! - decision.

The only real basis I actually have is my benchmarks. Those are cold hard data. And they are the reason why I got a NexusBytes VPS for myself (which I am happy with so far).

Yes, probably my benchmarks and review or, more precisely, the results thereof helped to create some interest in your products - and well deservedly so. But again: I tested but some products, not your company nor the person @seriesn.

So, if asked what I think about your VPS I would still laud and commend it. You offer some of the best VPS products I've ever seen, and at very attractive prices. But I am not and can not be a judge of you or your company. Yes, I think that you and your company are solid - but that's just a personal opinion and not based on any data other than the fact that I had no problems with my VPS and your service/support is friendly and fast.

And there is a final point that is important to me: I did not do my benchmarks and review as a favour to you. I did it as a service to our community.

• Hi everyone,

One question related to the @HostDoc issue, my latest comm with the doc (Monday) was by chat and he instructed me to open a ticket to request the refunds of my services, since that I have not received a reply to my ticket nor any other type of response, have been trying all they on the chat (one of my services is down) but nothing.

Have any of you received your refund?

Side question, I will need to migrate my VPS's to the new ones, can any of you point me to a guide or something, don't know how to do it myself, tried a guide I found here on the forum a couple of months ago but was not able to make it work (it was a Rsync guide).

Thanks in advance if someone can help me figure it out, don't want to do all the configurations again.

• @Mariomk said:
    Hi everyone,

One question related to the @HostDoc issue, my latest comm with the doc (Monday) was by chat and he instructed me to open a ticket to request the refunds of my services, since that I have not received a reply to my ticket nor any other type of response, have been trying all they on the chat (one of my services is down) but nothing.

Side question, I will need to migrate my VPS's to the new ones, can any of you point me to a guide or something, don't know how to do it myself, tried a guide I found here on the forum a couple of months ago but was not able to make it work (it was a Rsync guide).

Thanks in advance if someone can help me figure it out, don't want to do all the configurations again.

What are you migrating? Content? Db? Any control panel or bare metal?

• @Mariomk said:
    Hi everyone,

What services do you have on it that you need to migrate?

• @poisson said:

@Mariomk said:
    Hi everyone,

On one (ubuntu) I only have vestacp (with all my websites), php, and some other minor stuff, just don't want to lose that much time, and on the other (debian) I have a project (website) that we are making for a client (not sure what it has because that is handled by one of my coworkers) but it takes him time to upload everything and configure it again, he has really bad internet haha.

The last one is just a reseller account with one website and I'm already moving it so I'm good there.

Thanks

• @seriesn said:

@Mariomk said:
    Hi everyone,

On one (ubuntu) I only have vestacp (with all my websites), php, and some other minor stuff, just don't want to lose that much time, and on the other (debian) I have a project (website) that we are making for a client (not sure what it has because that is handled by one of my coworkers) but it takes him time to upload everything and configure it again, he has really bad internet haha.

The last one is just a reseller account with one website and I'm already moving it so I'm good there.

Thanks

• poissonpoisson Member
    edited February 2020

@Mariomk said:

@poisson said:

@Mariomk said:
    Hi everyone,

Thanks

Have you tried looking at this for VestaCP? https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-vestacp-and-migrate-user-data

For the debian server, is the website database driven?

• @angstrom said:

@poisson said:

@Clouvider said:

@dahartigan said:

@Clouvider said:

Well, I didn't predict when, but it was inevitable he'd shut down. There was some issue with the way he handled chat a few months back and when I realized how much time sink the chat was (because he whined about it), I knew it would burn him out and he'd be done with it. But you could tell he was pretty sensitive the whole time he's been here. The whole IPv4 issue with the provider that led to a public hissy fit...

If you're working more than 40 hours a week for long periods of time, don't see your friends and family, don't get to take vacation or build savings, it's not going to last. There needs to be some payoff to work that hard for that long, and that's usually 6 figure money, not low end money.

Thanked by 2seriesn Falzo
  • @seriesn said:

@angstrom said:

@poisson said:

@Clouvider said:

@dahartigan said:

@Clouvider said:

Very well put sir!

Here is how I see it. **No one here knows for certain, that one will see the sun tomorrow morning or the moon tonight. **Nothing is guaranteed in life. However, we try our best, every day, to live and aim for a better tomorrow (Gym, food, idling VPS, marriage etc.).

Do you mean that in the sense one might drop dead and therefore not see any of those things, or you're not 100% certain that the world turns and some mysterious shit might turn the Earth upside down in the next 12 hours?

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • @Mariomk said:
    Hi everyone,

Hi, PM me if you'd like me to move those for you.

Thanked by 1Mariomk
  • @AlwaysSkint said:

seriesn said: .. I had too much cereal for breakfast.

Caffeine maybe? Now where's my Ibuprofen (not joking: RSI)?

Sugar, it's cereal after all.

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • @Clouvider said:

@dahartigan said:

@Clouvider said:

He also said cociu has better English than many native English speakers... he's not exactly trying to rehab his credibility.

• @Mariomk said:

@seriesn said:

@Mariomk said:
    Hi everyone,

Thanks

This should work for Debian, assuming same exact os. You will still need to tinker with your configs and not 100-% positive about vestaCP though.

https://pastebin.com/Cy7uH1te

• @TimboJones said:

@seriesn said:

@angstrom said:

@poisson said:

@Clouvider said:

@dahartigan said:

@Clouvider said:

Very well put sir!

Here is how I see it. **No one here knows for certain, that one will see the sun tomorrow morning or the moon tonight. **Nothing is guaranteed in life. However, we try our best, every day, to live and aim for a better tomorrow (Gym, food, idling VPS, marriage etc.).

Do you mean that in the sense one might drop dead and therefore not see any of those things, or you're not 100% certain that the world turns and some mysterious shit might turn the Earth upside down in the next 12 hours?

The Earth is flat.

Your first assumption is correct sir.

• @TimboJones said:

@Clouvider said:

@dahartigan said:

@Clouvider said:

He also said cociu has better English than many native English speakers... he's not exactly trying to rehab his credibility.

@Clouvider also reckons that Intel is superior to AMD, so it seems we're at a crossroads of opinions here ;)

I also love eating vegemite and I prefer Linux over Windows.. my judgement credibility is horribly low it seems :)

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@dahartigan said:
    @Clouvider also reckons that Intel is superior to AMD, so it seems we're at a crossroads of opinions here ;)

I think he is really referring to the Ryzen stuff in servers, surely he knows Epyc is superior to most of the Intel stuff now.

• @MikeA said:

@dahartigan said:

I think he is really referring to the Ryzen stuff in servers, surely he knows Epyc is superior to most of the Intel stuff now.

The point is that opinions are like assholes. We all have them and they all stink :P

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • @poisson said:

@Mariomk said:

@poisson said:

@Mariomk said:
    Hi everyone,

Thanks

Have you tried looking at this for VestaCP? https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-vestacp-and-migrate-user-data

For the debian server, is the website database driven?

Thanks, I will check it out, like to learn and be able to do it myself, last time had to do everything from scratch.

I believe it is.

• @Mariomk said:
    I believe it is.

Then a database dump and restore plus copying over of scripts plus configuration onto a same Debian LAMP stack should work.

• @poisson said:

@Mariomk said:
    I believe it is.

Then a database dump and restore plus copying over of scripts plus configuration onto a same Debian LAMP stack should work.

Thanks, I will relay that info, already lost myself hahaha, thank you for the help.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2020

@dahartigan said:

@TimboJones said:

@Clouvider said:

@dahartigan said:

@Clouvider said:

I also love eating vegemite and I prefer Linux over Windows.. my judgement credibility is horribly low it seems :)

Mate, fact is you’re endorsing another shop that is going partially after the same target audience without necessary information. Same as you were endorsing HostDoc while likely having insider info that should probably make you not to.

Then yiu went after your boss at the end, publicly, using privileged information from the time you worked there, which surely will result in anyone in the industry thinking Really hard before ever offering you a job, but hey, that’s just my take on the professionalism you have shown. You’re trying to disassociate yourself from this mess, while in fact you have helped made it.

The fact however is not that we believe Intel is superior, I said many times, we believe AMD is far superior, they however don’t target the segment of smaller servers with their Epyc offer, and their workstation CPU is by their own words not aimed at server use. Stop twisting my words to get off the hot seat.

• isunbejoisunbejo Member
    edited February 2020

@Mariomk said:

Thanks, I will relay that info, already lost myself hahaha, thank you for the help.

for lazy sysadmin like me,live backup -> restore (incidental/not for backup daily) :wink:

install same OS and from restore machine :

rsync -auHxv --numeric-ids --numeric-owner  --warning=no-file-ignored --sparse --exclude=/etc/fstab --exclude=/etc/network/* --exclude=/proc/* --exclude=/tmp/* --exclude=/sys/* --exclude=/dev/* --exclude=/mnt/* --exclude=/run/* --exclude=/boot/* --exclude=/root/* root@SRC-IP-SERVER:/* /

reboot

*just adjust the excluded directory according to the OS system environment