Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostDoc are closing down - Page 12
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostDoc are closing down

Comments

• corbpie said: Would that have mattered?, if your details were in the DB then it was (un)luck of the draw

It's cache issue, only the information login user that never click logout got leaked seems

Thanked by 1corbpie
  • just wanted to state that i have no refund and no response as of yet...

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • LeeLee Veteran

I mean if he is not talking to anyone then nobody really knows but there does appear to have been some refunds. It may be that he does not have the liquidity due to paying providers so it will take longer. Of course, it could also mean he is going to try and dodge payment.

Best advice, get a Paypal dispute logged sooner rather than later, it is the only option if he is not going to provide specific dates for people to work with.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Lee said:
    I mean if he is not talking to anyone then nobody really knows but there does appear to have been some refunds. It may be that he does not have the liquidity due to paying providers so it will take longer. Of course, it could also mean he is going to try and dodge payment.

Best advice, get a Paypal dispute logged sooner rather than later, it is the only option if he is not going to provide specific dates for people to work with.

Problem is - what are they going to claim when the service is still being delivered ?

• @deank said:
    He's playing somewhat smart. Refund select few for smoothies to give him a benefit of doubt and enjoy the money.

Pretty sure he is reading this thread as well.

lol yeah refund the $5's keep the $100's :smiley:

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited February 2020

Clouvider said: Problem is - what are they going to claim when the service is still being delivered ?

All you have to provide Paypal is the notice of closure from the provider which confirms the uncertainty of delivery and confirms refunds were granted and Paypal subscriptions are to be canceled.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • @Lee said:

Clouvider said: Problem is - what are they going to claim when the service is still being delivered ?

All you have to provide Paypal is the notice of closure from the provider which confirms the uncertainty of delivery and confirms refunds were granted and Paypal subscriptions are to be canceled.

If customers received an email about the closure, then, yes, this should be enough. (It wasn't clear to me whether all customers had received an email.)

Of course, it would be nice if @HostDoc gave an update on the current state of refunds (and of his intentions).

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Lee said:

That’s the common sense but legally I’m not so sure it’s that easy...

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited February 2020

Clouvider said: That’s the common sense but legally I’m not so sure it’s that easy...

Paypal have done it before, remember we are on LET, it's not the 1st time this has happened and it won't be the last.

In any event, I am pretty sure the disputes and chargebacks have already begun.

angstrom said: If customers received an email about the closure, then, yes, this should be enough. (It wasn't clear to me whether all customers had received an email.)

I understood the very first post in this thread was the email sent to all customers.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • @Lee said:

Clouvider said: That’s the common sense but legally I’m not so sure it’s that easy...

Paypal have done it before, remember we are on LET, it's not the 1st time this has happened and it won't be the last.

Aaaannd mine's denied, tho I still have half way to go with them.

"Unfortunately, we had to deny your claim(s). Cases must be filed within 180 days from the date of the transaction"

• @kennsann said:

@dahartigan said:

@deank said:
    He's playing somewhat smart. Refund select few for smoothies to give him a benefit of doubt and enjoy the money.

It's almost certain he's reading this.

@AlwaysSkint said:

deank said: Pretty sure he is reading this thread as well.

That's quite possible.
    Just pleased that my services have been up and running up to this point, however..
    The Client Area has just gone fubar on me, in that it continually prompts for a login. Plus the virtualizor access is unavailable. Hmm. :-/
    Portents?

Please tell me you got your servers safely rehomed..

For me I havent used it since three days after the announcement. I just place a damned crypto miner to mine me pennies. Just for the hell of it.

Edit: About the paypal dispute, when should anyone file that? Should we wait for the servers or the website to go down?

Why would you out yourself as a dick? With no one enforcing abuse, you're just being a dick to everyone on that host. You're not hurting HostDoc, but other users.

• @TimboJones said:

@kennsann said:

@dahartigan said:

@deank said:

@AlwaysSkint said:

That's quite possible.
    Just pleased that my services have been up and running up to this point, however..
    The Client Area has just gone fubar on me, in that it continually prompts for a login. Plus the virtualizor access is unavailable. Hmm. :-/
    Portents?

For me I havent used it since three days after the announcement. I just place a damned crypto miner to mine me pennies. Just for the hell of it.

Edit: About the paypal dispute, when should anyone file that? Should we wait for the servers or the website to go down?

Why would you out yourself as a dick? With no one enforcing abuse, you're just being a dick to everyone on that host. You're not hurting HostDoc, but other users.

Yeah that's a bit of a dick move :/ people are frantic trying to recover their files and we got our old mate over here mining shitcoins on it..

Perhaps @kennsann is attempting to claw back some of his lost funds?

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • kennsannkennsann Member
    edited February 2020

@dahartigan said:

@TimboJones said:

@kennsann said:

@dahartigan said:

@deank said:

@AlwaysSkint said:

That's quite possible.
    Portents?

Yeah that's a bit of a dick move :/ people are frantic trying to recover their files and we got our old mate over here mining shitcoins on it..

Perhaps @kennsann is attempting to claw back some of his lost funds?

Lol. Left it for a day, got like $0.01 in 30 days I would get $0.3. Not even enough to withdraw the amount. So stopped it and said fuck it good bye $150.

Btw, the steal was 0 already. Guess most of the users on the node got out by this time.

• @kennsann said:
    Btw, the steal was 0 already. Guess most of the users on the node got out by this time.

How bad was the steal previously?

• kennsannkennsann Member
    edited February 2020

@poisson said:

@kennsann said:

Honestly before the doc said he was going to close, it would go up as high as 80%. But I'd say it is constantly at 10% at any given time. Now it's pretty low.

• @kennsann said:

@poisson said:

@kennsann said:

Honestly before the doc said he was going to close, it would go up as high as 80%. But I'd say it is constantly at 10% at any given time. Now it's pretty low.

I admit, this isn't news to me. Usually blamed on node backup (seems to always be a node backup going) Sound familiar?

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • R> @kennsann said:

@poisson said:

@kennsann said:

Are you serious about mining in the KVM node?

SG node @HostDoc is very bad IO before closing, my VPS is idle here because of that, previously good on upcloud node only $5 / month with 1 cpu, running smoothly. After moving to @HostDoc with 3cpu, sometimes nginx / php fpm services are not responsible, must reboots vps are normal again.

• Is there anyone filing a PayPal dispute? I am still be patient but more than a week without any response seems to be fishy. I'm not sure if I would continue waiting or just file a dispute.

This might come to the similar outcome as ZXHost years ago. I am afraid that I might lose all Doc's funds again for 3 yearly services and pre-paid credit :neutral:

Thanked by 2Falzo dahartigan
  • nhocconan said: more than a week without any response seems to be fishy.

There was a lot more fishy behind the scenes we didn't know about, since we never purchased anything from him. This amount of CPU steal, 9 threaded i7-7700's, and who knows what else... just go for the dispute, there is no point in waiting anymore.

Thanked by 2Falzo dahartigan
  • LeeLee Veteran

lontong said: Aaaannd mine's denied, tho I still have half way to go with them.

"Unfortunately, we had to deny your claim(s). Cases must be filed within 180 days from the date of the transaction"

Yeah, well not much you can when you are past 180 days. But then that is on you for taking an annual plan.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @SCAM_DONT_BUY said:

nhocconan said: more than a week without any response seems to be fishy.

There was a lot more fishy behind the scenes we didn't know about, since we never purchased anything from him. This amount of CPU steal, 9 threaded i7-7700's, and who knows what else... just go for the dispute, there is no point in waiting anymore.

For mining, good deal :smiley:

• My advice to anyone waiting for a refund, if it's an amount that you consider significant then start the dispute now. Don't wait for the 180 day window to close on you.

Thanked by 2epaslv pluush
  • @isunbejo said:
    R> @kennsann said:

@poisson said:

@kennsann said:

Are you serious about mining in the KVM node?

SG node @HostDoc is very bad IO before closing, my VPS is idle here because of that, previously good on upcloud node only $5 / month with 1 cpu, running smoothly. After moving to @HostDoc with 3cpu, sometimes nginx / php fpm services are not responsible, must reboots vps are normal again.

I'm not the cause of the bad IO nor the high steal before closing, if that's what you are implying. Haven't experienced the nginx becomes unresponsive tho.

Overall, the node was oversold even before it closed down. Said my piece on the mining on a shitty closing node, just back read.

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

So has anyone actually heard from the doc?

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Nope, he's probably in progress of setting up another company for another venture.

That's apparently what he does.

Thanked by 1gazmull
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited February 2020

I find it sad that HostDoc seems to p_ss on those of us who still had some trust in him. Not for myself (I defended him when SHTF) but for the community, because: if you learn again and again that you shouldn't trust any provider unless he earned it over a sufficiently long period of time, then everybody pays for those who think only in terms of milking customers no matter how.
    Sad story.

• @Jord said:

Personally I haven't. Opened a ticket as soon as I saw the e-mail and no reply.
    I might have to dispute all transactions if he doesn't reply this week...

• Jord said: So has anyone actually heard from the doc?

No, I am sure he is reading these and getting a great laugh out of scamming people.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2020

@epaslv said:
    No, I am sure he is reading these and getting a great laugh out of scamming people.

I don't think so.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @Jord said:

He seems to have gone completely awol :/

@epaslv said:

Jord said: So has anyone actually heard from the doc?

I don't really think he'd find anything about this situation funny to be honest, in fact, I wouldn't at all be surprised if he's gone completely batshit insane after this judging by the way he handled things.

According to my back-of-the-envelope calculations, the way things stand, he's on the hook for around 10 grand - and when he's been operating month to month without any profit, he's going to need to come up with that amount of money from outside of the business - ie his own pocket.

On top of that, he's said in his email that he believes he has been basically offering a free service - which leads me to 2 thoughts:

1. Although people have been paying for the service, he considers that he was doing everyone a favour by basically providing free services
    2. He's on the hook for about 10 grand now to pay back everyone for their free service, which may be a logic bomb for him to come to grips with.

@jsg said:
    I find it sad that HostDoc seems to p_ss on those of us who still had some trust in him. Not for myself (I defended him when SHTF) but for the community, because: if you learn again and again that you shouldn't trust any provider unless he earned it over a sufficiently long period of time, then everybody pays for those who think only in terms of milking customers no matter how.
    Sad story.

This is the part that frustrates me also. He's been very quick to air his thoughts on the forums in the past, but now when people are really needing to hear some assurance, he's still silent.

The disappointing part is that at this stage, it's not looking like anyone will be getting their money back.

Thanked by 1pluush
This discussion has been closed.