Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Password Manager Suggestions - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Password Manager Suggestions

Comments

• emgemg Veteran

I am still using a local copy of 1Password on my Mac. I have been using 1Password for many years, long before their push to the subscription model a few years ago, which does not interest me. They make it challenging to buy the standalone version, but you can find it if you are persistent.

I use the Mac for all passwords, which are stored locally only. I do not use my phone for any secure remote access. Home media devices store the passwords they need for streaming services, manually entered. That's it.

I follow "old school" practices when it comes to security. I do not sync passwords through the cloud.

Think strategically. You are storing every key to your kingdom in a public place. Sure, it is encrypted, but do you really trust that your password data will stay safe and secure over the long term, years or perhaps decades from now? Keep in mind that the bad guys can save copies of your old password files, the ones that may be vulnerable to a new exploit in the future. The crypto does not have to fail. It might, but more likely someone will find a silly implementation bug.

Sync'ing is convenient, but the added convenience is not worth the long term risk, in my opinion. I get by just fine with old school technology.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

jsg said: Can it really be "cleared" from RAM afterwards?

But then, can it be cleared from the RAM the browser uses for that matter?

Or the keyboard device driver buffer?

Whether you type it or copy/paste it, it's going in RAM somehow...

Thanked by 1SpryServers_Tab
  • @Nyr said:

@maddy said:

@Lee said:

jsg said: Speaking as a security guy I always recommend against cloud based "solutions".

Security guys don't offer solutions that are compatible with my wife's requirements. True story.

And besides, on balance, a cloud-based solution in security terms is a significantly better option than her using the same password everywhere.

It is true we ladies are not so good with technology. I try my best to learn but somehow my guy friends get it much more quickly than I do. :cry:

Why do so many Chinese guys insist on passing as a woman online?

I guess this is some sort of cultural thing given how common it is, but never understood the reasoning for it.

Why do you assume that I am a Chinese/guy? Curious.

• I've been happy with Enpass. Works great on Windows, macOS, and Linux.

Thanked by 1mtsbatalha
  • KeePass with OTP plugin.

Thanked by 1isunbejo
  • @JerryHou said:
    KeePass with OTP plugin.

why not use KeePassXC?

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited February 2020

@raindog308 said:

jsg said: Can it really be "cleared" from RAM afterwards?

But then, can it be cleared from the RAM the browser uses for that matter?

Or the keyboard device driver buffer?

Whether you type it or copy/paste it, it's going in RAM somehow...

The point isn't "it's in the RAM". The point is "in whose Ram? And does it get cleared quickly?". C&P is one of the worst candidates.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited February 2020

@maddy said:

@Nyr said:

@maddy said:

@Lee said:

jsg said: Speaking as a security guy I always recommend against cloud based "solutions".

Security guys don't offer solutions that are compatible with my wife's requirements. True story.

And besides, on balance, a cloud-based solution in security terms is a significantly better option than her using the same password everywhere.

It is true we ladies are not so good with technology. I try my best to learn but somehow my guy friends get it much more quickly than I do. :cry:

I guess this is some sort of cultural thing given how common it is, but never understood the reasoning for it.

I'll try to answer:

• There are virtually no women on LET
    • There's a surprising number of Asian (typically, Chinese) guys who use avatars showing pretty (typically, Asian) women

Given this and that your avatar shows a pretty Asian woman, our guesses are (in this order):

• You're a Chinese guy
    • You're an Asian (not Chinese) guy
    • You're a non-Asian guy (much less likely)
    • You're a woman (Asian or not), which is highly unlikely
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@maddy said:

@Nyr said:

@maddy said:

@Lee said:

You talk like a guy, but use a common female name and a pretty Asian woman for your avatar.

Very common in China and maybe some other Asian countries too, basically what @angstrom described.

May I now get an explanation of why is this common in China/Asia? Maybe in private if you prefer, I'm genuinely curious.

• @Nyr said:

@maddy said:

@Nyr said:

@maddy said:

@Lee said:

You talk like a guy, but use a common female name and a pretty Asian woman for your avatar.

Very common in China and maybe some other Asian countries too, basically what @angstrom described.

May I now get an explanation of why is this common in China/Asia? Maybe in private if you prefer, I'm genuinely curious.

Not disputing - a genuine question:

How can you tell over the forum if someone "talks" (writes) like a guy?
    Especially if the English is not their native language.

Could you tell I'm a robot? :)

• For the wife: https://keepass.info/
    For you (if you like CLI): https://www.passwordstore.org/

Keepass plus the db you can dump onto a usb drive for her, all self contained.

Pass (cli) uses gpg for encryption,.. its lightweight, relatively easy to use and just works

• manlivomanlivo Member
    edited February 2020

+1 for LastPass

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@bikegremlin said:

@Nyr said:

@maddy said:

@Nyr said:

@maddy said:

@Lee said:

I don't know, it just seems obvious given his style and what he wrote, it just clicks.

I don't think you're a robot, would be impressive if I'm wrong!

• +1 for 1Password

• @bikegremlin said:

@Nyr said:

@maddy said:

@Nyr said:

@maddy said:

@Lee said:

Because it was a useless post except to attempt to establish poster as a male.

• Who needs a password manager? Who needs to remember a password? Gosh! You people talk like this is important stuff that I should save or write down.

Just use the password reset form every time you need to log into a service!

[/sarcasm]

By the way.... what's a username? And do I have one?

• @Nyr said:

@maddy said:

@Lee said:

I am Chinese and I have never heard about this. Care to explain?

• Enpass. Got it for free on their promotion when they were relatively new. Reliable and local (though it can sync on cloud, I'd rather not). Used it for about 5 years now without problems, also use it for TOTP, no more Authy for me. Too bad they moved to a subscription model. Lucky me though, I basically have a free perpetual license from them. :)

Thanked by 1mtsbatalha
  • LastPass is one of the most popular and well-known password managers here.

• 1Password is closed source. Stay at least couple of miles away from LastPass (after the sale).

BitWarden it is!

• @poisson said:

@Nyr said:

@maddy said:

@Lee said:

I think that @Nyr was simply referring to the impression that many of us have that those participants on LET who have an avatar with an attractive Asian female are in reality Asian (often Chinese) guys. Naturally, it's always possible that this impression doesn't correspond to reality.

@maddy above triggered @Nyr's comment when he (she?) said:

I'm also inclined to view @maddy's comment as a kind of role-playing (but who knows).

• @poisson said:

@Nyr said:

@maddy said:

@Lee said:

"Why do so many Chinese guys insist on passing as a woman online?"

I've been using the Internet for over 25 years, and this was a valid question 25 years ago. Anecdotally, on LET Asians stick out more than others, but around the world amongst all skin colours, dudes be trying to pass as chicks ALL the time.

• edoarudo5edoarudo5 Member
    edited February 2020

Why though? I always pass as a chick on the phone or when I wear a mask and jacket. People say I have a really sexy female voice. People who doesn't know me always assume I'm a chick on the phone. I used to always correct them but it gets tiring so I stopped. People I know thinks I'm gay. I'm not though, I'm a very healthy male with 2 kids. This is a big problem for me. Don't know why dudes try to pass as chicks all the time online. LOL

• LeeLee Veteran

edoarudo5 said: People I know thinks I'm gay. I'm not though, I'm a very healthy male with 2 kids.

I didn't realize being Gay was unhealthy.

Thanked by 2angstrom Nyr
  • edoarudo5edoarudo5 Member
    edited February 2020

@Lee said:

edoarudo5 said: People I know thinks I'm gay. I'm not though, I'm a very healthy male with 2 kids.

I didn't realize being Gay was unhealthy.

It isn't. I'm a part of the LGBTQIAPKNBCIS movement. :(

• @edoarudo5 said:
    Why though? I always pass as a chick on the phone or when I wear a mask and jacket. People say I have a really sexy female voice. People who doesn't know me always assume I'm a chick on the phone. I used to always correct them but it gets tiring so I stopped. People I know thinks I'm gay. I'm not though, I'm a very healthy male with 2 kids. This is a big problem for me. Don't know why dudes try to pass as chicks all the time online. LOL

This week on, "shit that never happened".

• @TimboJones said:

@edoarudo5 said:

This week on, "shit that never happened".

"shit that never happened."

• Been using https://www.passwordstore.org/ for the last few years. Also generates OTPs for AWS, Gmail, Github. Has browser and Android plugins for the fancy folks.

• LeeLee Veteran

So far 1Password has been awesome, had an issue and support replied within an hour and gave me a clear explanation on what to do. Pleased with it so far.

I get the comments that they carry their own risks but so far I have added about 50 logins and changed everything to long unique passwords. I at least feel it is more secure.

I have only used 1 email address for more than 20 years, there is no way I can use unique passwords for everything without some form of management tool. So the risk that someone knows that 1 email address and could then manage to access multiple accounts whether they have key information or not is too high for me and Mrs W.

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2020

@Lee said:
    I have only used 1 email address for more than 20 years, there is no way I can use unique passwords for everything without some form of management tool. So the risk that someone knows that 1 email address and could then manage to access multiple accounts whether they have key information or not is too high for me and Mrs W.

20 years :open_mouth:

My 1st email is about 15 years old now my 1st gmail is I guess 10 years old (or whenever Gmail 1st came out as invite only)