Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you want to see on LEB? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you want to see on LEB?

Comments

• @jbiloh how much for fully managed server?

Thanked by 2seriesn benj0x
  • @jbiloh it's been over 24h since you promised to remove the offending post on LEB. Since 9.95 euro is still over the 10 usd limit, I'm assuming you did not fulfill the promise you made.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • less scams.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

teamacc said: @jbiloh it's been over 24h since you promised to remove the offending post on LEB. Since 9.95 euro is still over the 10 usd limit, I'm assuming you did not fulfill the promise you made.

Got it, thanks. I cleaned up a bunch of these that were recently posted and an offer above the limit, and forgot that one. I just fixed it. I need to send a message to the content writer to pay closer attention to not including offers that are above the rules. Also when I have some more time this week I will cleanup even older posts that broke the rules.

jsg said: Which part of "LEB and LET is not one community" did you not get? They may have been years ago, but YOU forced LEB ads and LEB threads upon us and YOU turned our admins and mods into helpless zombies who were forced to tolerate LEB scum here at LET and if they dared to object you ignored them and threw them at the feet of LEB scammers to laugh at and sh_t on them.

Thank you for your opinion. We don't align with our video points but I appreciate you taking the time to offer your thoughts.

deank said: The old rules you scrapped are the rules that need to be restored.

What is the community consensus on $7 limit vs. $10 limit?

dahartigan said: For a new host, limit to monthly payments until they have survived LEB for no less than 1 year without major incident. That's a starting point.

I agree that this is a good solution. But do you think that should apply to a host being in business for a year or a year of having been posted on LEB?

dahartigan said: With a thumb on the pulse. LEB have comments, if genuinely unbiased, would be a good general indicator. Perhaps a system whereby LET mods/admins can report concerning providers to you with a more serious approach taken to their feedback.

This is possible with the community's help. Right now LEB and LET don't generate enough revenue (especially when I get done removing the HVH ads on LEB today and tomorrow) to cover enough staff internally to do this. Will think on best way to track and semi-automate this. Totally open to feedback and thoughts.

• @jbiloh said:

>

What is the community consensus on $7 limit vs. $10 limit?

The $10 limit has been forcefully applied to the community. The amount of backlash made you guys (CC) retract it for LET, but it remained active for LEB. I think that's all there is to know with regards to that question.

dahartigan said: For a new host, limit to monthly payments until they have survived LEB for no less than 1 year without major incident. That's a starting point.

I agree that this is a good solution. But do you think that should apply to a host being in business for a year or a year of having been posted on LEB?

Common sense applies. Big guys like OVH/Hetzner/other trustworthy providers can probably just do whatever, while some guy who has been providing hosting to two friends and three family members for the past 5 years probably should not have yearly offers.

dahartigan said: With a thumb on the pulse. LEB have comments, if genuinely unbiased, would be a good general indicator. Perhaps a system whereby LET mods/admins can report concerning providers to you with a more serious approach taken to their feedback.

This is possible with the community's help. Right now LEB and LET don't generate enough revenue (especially when I get done removing the HVH ads on LEB today and tomorrow) to cover enough staff internally to do this. Will think on best way to track and semi-automate this. Totally open to feedback and thoughts.

I recall being asked by you/chris/nick to vet a bunch of hosts back in the days when I was a moderator. I advised against some of them, who got posted anyway.

Then again, we banned hostnamaste a bunch of times and got overturned every time, because chris was brown-nosing them. It got so bad that chris even told us to "communicate more". I never heard anything from him when he removed my mod role though, or on any other occasion.

With regards to community: Start by removing those LEBFEED things. They average around 50 views each anyway.

Thanked by 1maverickp
  • @FootKaput said:
    Leave up the scam host posts, but remove links to their services. Give 'em great SEO, and perhaps a place to research comments from customers.

Hostflyte deleted my VPS, and it was out for over 3 weeks. They had a line on their website:

In the event there is unplanned service interruption, we will compensate a 1 day service extension for every minute offline

https://imgur.com/a/3LwZzbW

My math, 22 days outage, 1440 minutes per day = 31,680 days service extension, or more than 86 years. I was told a refund was on the way, in OCTOBER, and Hostflyte refuses to take action on it. They closed the ticket a few times, and it's just been sitting. It would be nice if they would stick to their word, but I'm certainly not holding my breath.

I've always said that it's my low-cost lesson into VPS... maybe, just maybe LEB could serve as making others aware of scum, scammers, and summer-hosts.

Well, deleting your VPS was a deliberate action (They just didn't inform you of that decision), so I would say that doesn't meet "unplanned service interruption".

• @TimboJones said:

Well, deleting your VPS was a deliberate action (They just didn't inform you of that decision), so I would say that doesn't meet "unplanned service interruption".

It was a server full of VPS’s that went away...multiple customers...and to be honest, I don’t know if I forgot or wasn’t told what happened...I seem to remember they lost their server due to non-payment.

After I mentioned their line about a day per minute on their website, and asked for my compensated days, the page was taken down within a couple of hours.

Either way, to ignore/close tickets for months isn't acceptable. A search on LEB still has posts with links to their order pages.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • @vyas11 said:
    A notice that LEB is being shut down and a redirect to LET would be good. Thank you.

i gree with you

Thanked by 1james50a
  • @jbiloh Something I'd like to see is a higher maximum for VPS, a separate price max for managed offers, and possibly a minimum price (to slow this industry's race to the bottom).

• @HM-Michael said:
    @jbiloh Something I'd like to see is a higher maximum for VPS, a separate price max for managed offers, and possibly a minimum price (to slow this industry's race to the bottom).

Go back to WHT please and leave us.

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • @ben47955 said:

@HM-Michael said:
    @jbiloh Something I'd like to see is a higher maximum for VPS, a separate price max for managed offers, and possibly a minimum price (to slow this industry's race to the bottom).

Yes.. because wanting to see a little bit of sustainability in the industry and not see so many fellow providers close shop makes me want this to turn into WHT.... I'm meaning a $1.25 minimum and a $10 maximum for VPS, and maybe $25 max for managed VPS. The issues with WHT have nothing to do with pricing.

Thanked by 1lovelyserver
  • teamaccteamacc Member
    edited February 2020

@HM-Michael said:

@ben47955 said:

@HM-Michael said:

Yes.. because wanting to see a little bit of sustainability in the industry and not see so many fellow providers close shop makes me want this to turn into WHT.... I'm meaning a $1.25 minimum and a $10 maximum for VPS, and maybe $25 max for managed VPS. The issues with WHT have nothing to do with pricing.

You mean exactly like it has been for the past 2 years or so?

https://lowendbox.com/submit-an-offer/

For Unmanaged VPS (OpenVZ, KVM, other) and VPN Services:

$10.00 per month and under.

For Shared Hosting Services:

$2.50 per month and under.

For Reseller Hosting Services:

$5.00 per month and under.

For VPN (Virtual Private Network) Services:

$7.00 per month and under.

For Domains:

Common TLDs (.com, .net, etc) must be less then $6.00 per year. Specialty TLDs must be less then $10 per year.

For Managed VPS and Application Hosting (E-Commerce, Magento, WordPress) Hosting:

$30.00 per month and under.

Unmanaged Dedicated Servers:

$50 per month and under.

Managed Dedicated Servers:

$200.00 per month and under.

• @teamacc said:

@HM-Michael said:

@ben47955 said:

@HM-Michael said:

You mean exactly like it has been for the past 2 years or so?

https://lowendbox.com/submit-an-offer/

For Unmanaged VPS (OpenVZ, KVM, other) and VPN Services:

$10.00 per month and under.

For Shared Hosting Services:

$2.50 per month and under.

For Reseller Hosting Services:

$5.00 per month and under.

For VPN (Virtual Private Network) Services:

$7.00 per month and under.

For Domains:

Common TLDs (.com, .net, etc) must be less then $6.00 per year. Specialty TLDs must be less then $10 per year.

For Managed VPS and Application Hosting (E-Commerce, Magento, WordPress) Hosting:

$30.00 per month and under.

Unmanaged Dedicated Servers:

$50 per month and under.

Managed Dedicated Servers:

$200.00 per month and under.

I had a moment and didn't realize this was in regards to LEB :) It's been one of those days today!

• LeeLee Veteran

poisson said: f you ask me, if @jbiloh really cares about the community, he would turn over ownership of LET and LEB to someone who is clearly untainted and allow them free reign to clean up the entire shit.

Yeah, @LowEndAdmin and @Chief

Worked well there. Whilst LET/LEB has value it will only ever go to the highest bidder, you have @Chief to thank for placing LET/LEB in that position, with the help of CC.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider
    edited February 2020

We've spent a long time working out the rules here with community consensus being taken into account. Reading the rules here and doing a direct copy into LEB is the way to go.

We have been over changing the limits time and time again, the community wants the $7 limit to stay, no tiered pricing limits and at minimum some verification of providers running an actual business (provider tag). Obvious exceptions apply like we have done for OVH in the past, this was after many emails back and forth with them to make sure they understand why we are allowing it and the rules here.

In addition to this we only allow some VPN/CDN/DNS providers to post offers here because they are part of the community and adding value. Allowing all these product types on LEB or LET would be a huge mistake.

LEB and LET are seperate sites at this point that have links to each other. The viewer ships are different, you don't hang around on LEB waiting for the next post or someone to reply, LEB is an advertising platform, full stop.

CC has done a lot of damage to LET's reputation by supporting businesses within this community that do not respect the rules or their customers.

It's going to be a hard fight to get back your reputation here, everything above has happened under your purview. It's disheartening that we've (the mod team, past admins and mods and myself) spent so much time keeping the forum going and implementing rules that work and you're walking in acting as if we haven't been through this all before, you should know.

• LeeLee Veteran

trewq said: LEB is an advertising platform

So is LET though. There are more threads selling or looking to purchase something than any other type of thread. Even if you take out the LEB forced offers.

And when you consider its actually been quieter in the last few months due to the cPanel ban.

@Lee said:

So is LET though. There are more threads selling or looking to purchase something than any other type of thread. Even if you take out the LEB forced offers.

And when you consider its actually been quieter in the last few months due to the cPanel ban.

I agree to some extent but at least LET has a community of knowledgeable people built around it.

LES has picked up a lot of what would normally be posted here and some cross-posts. This is more than fair, it's almost a like for like with LET but with everything fixed. Anthony offered to do everything he has done at LES for LET/LEB but Colocrossing/Jon wasn't interested.

Thanked by 2dahartigan poisson
  • @trewq said:

@Lee said:

I agree to some extent but at least LET has a community of knowledgeable people built around it.

LES has picked up a lot of what would normally be posted here and some cross-posts. This is more than fair, it's almost a like for like with LET but with everything fixed. Anthony offered to do everything he has done at LES for LET/LEB but Colocrossing/Jon wasn't interested.

@jbiloh would do well to just spend some time looking at LES forum on how LET should be run instead of wasting all our time with yet another "so what should we do guys" request.

Shall all of us bill you @jbiloh for our time wasted when you can obviously read up for yourself?

HM-Michael said: @jbiloh Something I'd like to see is a higher maximum for VPS, a separate price max for managed offers, and possibly a minimum price (to slow this industry's race to the bottom).

So far it looks like most people prefer a lower max price.

trewq said: We have been over changing the limits time and time again, the community wants the $7 limit to stay, no tiered pricing limits and at minimum some verification of providers running an actual business (provider tag). Obvious exceptions apply like we have done for OVH in the past, this was after many emails back and forth with them to make sure they understand why we are allowing it and the rules here.

This seems like the general consensus at $7 though that will limit or nearly eliminate Windows VPS offers.

trewq said: LEB and LET are seperate sites at this point that have links to each other. The viewer ships are different, you don't hang around on LEB waiting for the next post or someone to reply, LEB is an advertising platform, full stop.

Some errors were made the paste few years. It's not purely an advertising website though, if it were, there wouldn't be the amount of tutorial content out there or free offer posts, or so little (and becoming less) advertising.

I want to make LEB and LET both better and there is no doubt plenty of work to be done.

trewq said: I agree to some extent but at least LET has a community of knowledgeable people built around it.

LET is the greatest hosting community on the internet IMHO.

trewq said: Anthony offered to do everything he has done at LES for LET/LEB but Colocrossing/Jon wasn't interested.

I'm not so sure about that. I can't recall ever denying someone's contributions to help improve the community.

• @jbiloh said:
    I'm not so sure about that. I can't recall ever denying someone's contributions to help improve the community.

You pretty much played dumb all the time, including this reply.

• hmmm some real life pro-tips right here ... Bust out

hope this helps :)

jbiloh said: This seems like the general consensus at $7 though that will limit or nearly eliminate Windows VPS offers.

Not an issue. Can't keep everyone happy. Plenty of Windows VPS offers on here or addons available.

jbiloh said: I'm not so sure about that. I can't recall ever denying someone's contributions to help improve the community.

I've personally offered so many times in the past to improve LET/LEB from a technical perspective and have been shot down every time or just straight up didn't receive a reply.

Now you're talking about hiring developers and content writers with no consideration for the skills that already exist within the community.

Thanked by 1james50a

trewq said: I've personally offered so many times in the past to improve LET/LEB from a technical perspective and have been shot down every time or just straight up didn't receive a reply.

Now you're talking about hiring developers and content writers with no consideration for the skills that already exist within the community.

If those are efforts directed at me in the past that were not responded to I apologize. I take pride in responding to every email I receive, etc.

We'll connect and chat about it.

poisson said: You pretty much played dumb all the time, including this reply.

I don't think so.

• My recommendations:

1- We need a dark theme ASAP (my eyes hurt).
    2- Links in signature should trigger a NEW WINDOW. I click on things, and the main page is re-directed; I dislike that personally.

That is all for me. Hope you consider the above.

Thanked by 1lovelyserver
  • Good morning. A brand new day with brand new comments of [admin] changes.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@jbiloh said:

[trewq said]... $7 limit

This seems like the general consensus at $7 though that will limit or nearly eliminate Windows VPS offers.

So, let's keep the $7 maximum but allow + 3$ if - and only if - a VPS comes with Windows.
    That way we, the community, get to keep our beloved (and very reasonable!) $7 limit ... while providers offering Windows VPS can have an actual $10 limit for Windows VPS.

• Thanked by 2Ganonk AlwaysSkint
  • My recommendations:

1- Dark Theme
    2- Make sure the links in signatures open on a new window/tab. They redirect the main page, that is not good.

jsg said: So, let's keep the $7 maximum but allow + 3$ if - and only if - a VPS comes with Windows.

That way we, the community, get to keep our beloved (and very reasonable!) $7 limit ... while providers offering Windows VPS can have an actual $10 limit for Windows VPS.

What are the thoughts on this?

MechKing said: 2- Make sure the links in signatures open on a new window/tab. They redirect the main page, that is not good.

Great idea. Will look into that. Assume it won't be too hard to change.

MechKing said: 1- Dark Theme

Speaking to @trewq he has some ideas on how we can improve LET's theme.

Thanked by 1MechKing
  • MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@jbiloh said:

jsg said: So, let's keep the $7 maximum but allow + 3$ if - and only if - a VPS comes with Windows.

What are the thoughts on this?

I'd say no, just for simplicity sake. Making any exceptions from the rules is only going to lead to more confusion and to providers trying to skirt the rules. If a provider offers a Windows template with their VPS offering (along with typical Linux OSes), do they have to stick with the $7 rule or the $10 rule? Expect this and 100 other "it could go either way" situations.

Besides... I don't think a Windows VM (with enough resources to reliably run it) really counts as low end anyway. If a provider can do it at the $7 price point (some do and can), great! And if they can't, welp, so be it.