Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gauging interest lowend box with GPU
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Gauging interest lowend box with GPU

vetvettervetvetter Member
edited January 2020 in General

Hi while I know at this point I'm not a provider. I'm curious to see how many people would be interested in a lowendish box with an actual GPU in it?

If that is of interest I may put together a project to get this going for everyone. Feel free to reply back or pm me if your interested.

These would be dedicated boxes at least to start.

Interested in thoughts....

Comments

• Meh. If I need to use GPUs for compute, I'll typically just spin up an AWS GPU instance on the starting $0.5x/hr plan.

• FlamesRunner said: starting $0.5x/hr plan.

Yup, same here. I usually use Spot instances as well so that cuts the cost down to around $0.16/hour. If you can beat this @vetvetter then go for it :P

• Location? Specs? Price? Wishosting offers a hybrid RX480 (4 cores / 4GB / 1TB / 100 Mbps) in Netherlands for $34.99/mo. Cannot find the NVidia one at the moment.

• Thanks for the responses so far! I'm in Cleveland OH so for a project like this I'd probably like to keep it local so I can keep an eye on it to start. Good news is there are not any providers here that I know of here out of CLE and good few fiber providers use CLE is a junction point for some of the west from what I was told.

If I do it I'll likely offer rx470 - rx580 and maybe some vega cards to start. Possibly getting into some nvidia if its successful.

I checked out wishosting. It appears those are likely a flavor of kvm type vps boxes. I was planning on offering dedicated so could be more multipurpose for people. IE use it as a server, possibly use it as a remote gaming rig, or use it as a gpu compute box, or a flavor of all 3. As for the rest of the hardware I'd probably start with:

e3 or I? series proc
    8-32gb of ram
    gpu
    decert size HDD and/or ssd. Hdd likely 2tb-4tb. Ssd we will see...
    Decent amount of transfer
    1gb port

Not 100% sure but I was thinking something along those lines....

• What would the price range be approximately?

• @vetvetter

Well, unless you can offer lower pricing than Amazon, sell it hourly and are as redundant as Amazon...

• @t0ny0 said:
    What would the price range be approximately?

I'd like to have an offering that would fit in the LEB pricing for a dedi....

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • hzrhzr Member
    edited January 2020

Wishosting offers dedicated servers, not hybrid for GPU, iirc.

I'd buy immediately if you can meet <$50/m for a RX570/580

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • @FlamesRunner said:
    @vetvetter

Well, unless you can offer lower pricing than Amazon, sell it hourly and are as redundant as Amazon...

Thank you I really appreciate your feedback! I think my target demographic is not someone who just wants or needs to flog an amazon gpu with some compute traffic once in a while.

However where I'm looking to go with this is to possibly offer something different then the standard offers in the same locations we always see.

• hzr said: Wishosting offers dedicated servers, not hybrid for GPU, iirc.

Correct. I messed that up since it was listed under Hybrid servers. Although there is no control panel and reinstalls need a ticket.

• @saibal said:

hzr said: Wishosting offers dedicated servers, not hybrid for GPU, iirc.

Correct. I messed that up since it was listed under Hybrid servers. Although there is no control panel and reinstalls need a ticket.

It looks like they have an interesting offer that is a confirmed dedi.

If this goes I'm really planning on having ipmi on all the boxes. Being a consumer of severs as well imo this is an invaluable tool.