Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Multiple Provider Management Software?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Multiple Provider Management Software?

inmaninman Member
edited December 2019 in General

Hi, I currently run vps at a number of providers, like linode, digitalocean, vultr and others. I only use providers which have an API. I've been managing all of them via custom scripts. Is there multi-provider software which can handle lots of different providers (assuming they have an API)? I've looked at various cloud as a service or platform as a service, but not sure I'm understanding them correctly. They all seem aimed at big enterprises.

Or said another way, I've found around 100 virtual server providers with APIs and I'd like to spread my vpses around all of them without having to write my own software/scripts to do it.

Anyone heard of such a thing? I'm building a p2p cdn and need as much provider and datacenter diversity as possible.

I searched the posts here and didn't find anything obvious. Feel free to point me at other posts or something if I missed them.

Thanks!

Comments

• I should add I've tried GCP, AWS, and Azure. It's literally 25% of the "cloud provider" cost to do it myself then to use one of them.

• IonSwitch_StanIonSwitch_Stan Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2020

It "depends on what you are doing"/ what you want to manage..

Have you looked at Terraform for deploying infrastructure?

As you get into smaller providers, you will likely have to consider what to do -- you could write your own Terraform provider (learn GoLang). You could also use Ansible to provision those instances, and write plugins for Ansible for each provider. Open source this, and you might even get some contributions from here, or the providers themselves.

If you told me you wanted 25 instances from me, but needed an Ansible module to provision them, I would be rather motivated to help provide something.

Terraform would help provision the instances. You could then use Ansible Tower, Salt, Puppet to manage your standard instances as code.

@perennate (LunaNode) you guys have an Ansible module?

• @IonSwitch_Stan said:
    @LunaNode you guys have an Ansible module?

LunaNode is @perennate :)

• Thanks. I started off using terraform and ansible. While I'm sure they're great, they're aimed at enterprises trying to manage lots of servers at a few providers. Namely, the 3 large clouds. it seemed heavyweight for what I need. I've written my own stripped down server installer/updater. And have written scripts to connect to various providers via api, start up a vps and get stats from it periodically.

• @inman said:
    Thanks. I started off using terraform and ansible. While I'm sure they're great, they're aimed at enterprises trying to manage lots of servers at a few providers. Namely, the 3 large clouds. it seemed heavyweight for what I need. I've written my own stripped down server installer/updater. And have written scripts to connect to various providers via api, start up a vps and get stats from it periodically.

Considering this is LET, how did you accomplish the "written scripts to connect to various providers via api" part? AFAIK, WHMCS doesn't provide end users (clients) an API.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

Like a software library that provides a common abstraction for multiple provider APIs?
    At some point I was working on Cloug but it is not maintained anymore. Recommend you check out fog and libcloud.

• I picked this back up unofficially and I have it working with my Virtualizor installation. I'll make a pull request when I have some free-time and add everything.

• @perennate said:
    Like a software library that provides a common abstraction for multiple provider APIs?
    At some point I was working on Cloug but it is not maintained anymore. Recommend you check out fog and libcloud.

Yes, common abstraction for multiple provider Apis. I've basically started writing this for my own needs, and figured someone out there had already done this as well. Fog and libcloud look closer to what I was thinking. I've found that many of the smaller providers use the same sort of API constructs. I figure it can't be too difficult to write connectors to each provider and use a common API abstraction to manage hosts across the globe. Famous last words, I know.

• You can create a WHMCS Server Module to integrate all your existing custom scripts and new ones.

• you can use some billing sytem like whmcs,blesta where you can create your module[custom].

• jhjh Member

jClouds/Libcloud