Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
Windows 7 End Of Life 14/1/20
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Windows 7 End Of Life 14/1/20

farsighterfarsighter Member
edited December 2019 in General

Windows 7 is due to reach End Of Life (EOL) on 14 January 2020, but a large number of the world's computers, most in corporate environments, are still running the nine-year-old system. Microsoft ended mainstream support for Windows 7 in January 2015, with extended support running till 14 January 2020.

How do you prepare?

Some even believe the free upgrade to Windows 10 option might also end by that time. Who knows

Comments

• I'd probably just upgrade to win10(which i have long ago) before trying any "tricks". Websites like lifehacker.com are more interested in selling ads than helping anyone.

So Say We All

• farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited December 2019

Thanks.
    Although not guaranteed to work (or last long) that's exactly the kind of solutions we need .

Merry Christmas to you

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited December 2019

@xaoc said:

I'd probably just upgrade to win10(which i have long ago) before trying any "tricks". Websites like lifehacker.com are more interested in selling ads than helping anyone.

Not really an option for businesses with bestoke software that doesn't run on newer versions of Windows

Thanked by 2coreflux farsighter

Favourite host in general: Ramnode (affiliate link)
    Favourite host for hourly billing/custom ISOs: Vultr ($50 free credit for new accounts, affiliate link)

• Hm.. I still on XP

Thanked by 2kkrajk rtfm
  • agentmishraagentmishra Member, Provider

@ErawanArifNugroho said:
    Hm.. I still on XP

many are still on it

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho

skype id : agentmishra, gtalk id : agentmishra, email : [email protected]

• I'd probably just upgrade to win10(which i have long ago) before trying any "tricks". Those websites are more interested in selling ads than helping anyone.> @hostnoob said:

@xaoc said:

I'd probably just upgrade to win10(which i have long ago) before trying any "tricks". Websites like lifehacker.com are more interested in selling ads than helping anyone.

Not really an option for businesses with bestoke software that doesn't run on newer versions of Windows

I dunno, those businesses did agree to the same terms as everyone else so it's only their fault for not thinking ahead. How hard is to get that software up to speed anyways if teh business depends on it.

So Say We All

• Can one upgrade for free from Windows 7 to Windows 10?

I thought that this was true for a period of time a couple of years ago but that the free upgrade was no longer available.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint

"Linux will run happily with only 4 MB of RAM, including all of the bells and whistles such as the X Window System, Emacs, and so on." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 32)

• @angstrom said:
    Can one upgrade for free from Windows 7 to Windows 10?

I thought that this was true for a period of time a couple of years ago but that the free upgrade was no longer available.

The free upgrade is still available (just not through the GWX tool).
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • @farsighter said:

@angstrom said:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

Ah, good to know, thanks

(I myself don't use Windows, but I know a number of people who do, so this is good to know)

"Linux will run happily with only 4 MB of RAM, including all of the bells and whistles such as the X Window System, Emacs, and so on." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 32)

• microsoft wants everyone on Windows 10 for them to easy data mining.

I like what she said, not what it means.

• bapbap Member
    edited December 2019

I still see many people using XP for their business. I even saw an ATM using XP (edit: win ME) during its downtime, in 2019. In my country to be exact.

Thanked by 1shillshocked
  • Well, there is a "bug" where you can still upgrade to Windows 10 for free.
    There is also a "bug" where you still can get Windows 7 updates after that date.

Also, if you choose Windows 10, its gonna be fun, disable all that shit that's running on it. If you disable to much, its a gamble to look what needs to be enabled again the make the application work.

10/10 Do recommend.

Thanked by 2pike reikuzan
  • @bap said:
    I still see many people using XP for their business. I even saw an ATM using XP (edit: win ME) during its downtime, in 2019. In my country to be exact.

Many ATM-s in Serbia work on Windows XP.

Thanked by 1shillshocked

Mostly harmless™

I/O Gremlin

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Provider

I might just move my Lenovo laptop to Debian. I've ran debian on the desktop for years now, and always used to use linux on my previous laptops, so it makes sense.

Thanked by 2shillshocked poisson
  • @bikegremlin said:

@bap said:

Many ATM-s in Serbia work on Windows XP.

I suspect not only in Serbia!

This is news: Putin still uses XP at the Kremlin!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/dec/17/vladimir-putin-still-uses-obsolete-windows-xp-despite-hacking-risk

• @Chuck said:
    microsoft wants everyone on Windows 10 for them to easy data mining.

To be fair to Microsoft, it's not reasonable to expect them to provide updates for an old version of software forever. They're not the only ones who do it.

Favourite host in general: Ramnode (affiliate link)
    Favourite host for hourly billing/custom ISOs: Vultr ($50 free credit for new accounts, affiliate link)

• @angstrom said:
    Putin still uses XP at the Kremlin!

Would be fun if someone put him in a botnet

• Is there an actual photo of the said desktop? It could a Russian built system designed to look like XP. RedStar OS has a skin that looks like the Mac desktop (maybe not an exact copy but this is from 2014):

• @saibal said:

Is there an actual photo of the said desktop?

Here's the photo that the Kremlin released:

https://www.pcmag.com/news/372601/russian-president-vladimir-putin-still-uses-windows-xp

I suspect that it is XP but naturally, it's hard to be completely certain.

If it is XP, it's probably restricted to a LAN within the Kremlin, in which case the real risks would be minimal.

Thanked by 1saibal

• billywbillyw Member, Provider

I upgraded and have no issues with Windows 10 Prof.

VPS Aliens | AS207328 | AS16390 | Alien Class Servers & Support!
    █ VPS Solutions | Dedicated Servers | KVM VPS Reseller | 10Gbps Ports

• raindog308raindog308 Moderator

angstrom said: This is news: Putin still uses XP at the Kremlin!

Putin is 67 with an army of assistants. How much do you really think he uses a computer?

There are legions of powerful execs, politicians, and bureaucrats who still operate in a "here is a printout of your daily emails, sir" mode.

For LET support, please visit the support desk.

• @Mr_Tom said:
    I might just move my Lenovo laptop to Debian. I've ran debian on the desktop for years now, and always used to use linux on my previous laptops, so it makes sense.

If you are using a thinkpad don't forget to use TLP advance power management to preserve battery capacity . It has helped to keep my battery capacity at 97 percent after 9 to 10 months of use by maintaining charge thresholds at 75% when plugged in, and I plug in most of the time.

Thanked by 1Mr_Tom

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Follow latest deals on Twitter or Telegram

• @angstrom said:

@farsighter said:

@angstrom said:

Ah, good to know, thanks

(I myself don't use Windows, but I know a number of people who do, so this is good to know)

You can get a key on eBay for Windows 10 or Office for cheap. They're OEM keys so you might have to get a new one if the hardware changes too much.

• Windows 7!?! OMG move on already sheeesh...LOL

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited January 8

@cirrus_cloud said:

@angstrom said:

@farsighter said:

@angstrom said:

Ah, good to know, thanks

You can get a key on eBay for Windows 10 or Office for cheap. They're OEM keys so you might have to get a new one if the hardware changes too much.

They are not oem keys, but msdn and other "testing only intended" keys (volume license based).

• @TimboJones said:

@cirrus_cloud said:

@angstrom said:

@farsighter said:

@angstrom said:

Ah, good to know, thanks

They are not oem keys, but msdn and other "testing only intended" keys (volume license based).

I haven't had any issues so far with eBay keys. So far so good.

• @cirrus_cloud said:

@angstrom said:

@farsighter said:

@angstrom said:

Ah, good to know, thanks

Microsoft don't even enforce you to use keys. Microsoft has change into the trial mode of Winrar. You can use Windows 10 indefinitely just fine.

• @TimboJones said:

@cirrus_cloud said:

@angstrom said:

@farsighter said:

@angstrom said:

Ah, good to know, thanks

Actually yes, they are oem keys.

• @yokowasis said:

@TimboJones said:

@cirrus_cloud said:

@angstrom said:

@farsighter said:

@angstrom said:

Ah, good to know, thanks

Actually yes, they are oem keys.

No, the $5 ones are not.

• SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Provider

Windows 7 is by far my favorite, I have a desktop that I upgraded to win 10 some time ago and reverted it after a week

Windows 7 just feels so lightweight compared to 10, and lets not even discuss windows 8, what a abomination imo

I'll be upgrading to 10 it looks like though

Enterprise Dedicated Servers under $100 | NYC + Dallas Locations |

• farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited January 11

Some recent articles:
    Am I Screwed If I Don't Upgrade Windows 7 by January 15?
    https://lifehacker.com/am-i-screwed-if-i-dont-upgrade-windows-7-by-january-15-1840903120

Quickly Upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 for Free With This PowerShell Script
    https://lifehacker.com/quickly-upgrade-windows-7-to-windows-10-for-free-with-t-1840843214

Windows 7 Support Ends Next Week, But Google Not Yet Ready To Pull Plug On Chrome Compatibility
    https://hothardware.com/news/windows-7-support-ends-next-week-google-chrome-compatibility

• emgemg Member
    edited January 11

For customers and friends:

• I sent out several email messages over the year warning them about the upcoming date. I sent another warning message this morning.
    • I warned them that Microsoft will not provide future security patches for their Windows 7, Windows Server 2008, and Windows Server 2008 R2 systems after January 2020. Future security vulnerabilities will never get fixes.
    • I warned them that roughly 1/3 of future Microsoft patches will also apply to unfixed security vulnerabilities in their Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 and older systems. Attackers will quickly analyze the patches, develop exploits, and scan the internet for older Windows systems to attack. They are easy targets.
    • I urged them to upgrade to supported versions of Windows and gave them helpful links.

For myself:

• All of my Windows systems (desktops and servers) are virtual.
    • I copied a Windows 7 VM and upgraded it to Windows 10 about 3 years ago.
    • That Windows 10 VM replaced the Windows 7 VM as my primary personal Windows computer in July 2018. I run most applications on other operating systems, but sometimes you have to use Windows.
    • I keep all Windows systems fully updated, at least to the extent that Microsoft supports them.
    • I continue to run unsupported Windows systems (XP, Vista, Windows Server 2003, etc.) on rare occasions as needed. I use them for testing and compatibility. I almost never connect them to the internet, and then only under controlled circumstances. I may use the network to restrict the connection. More often, I use snapshots and revert them after the connection.
    Thanked by 2farsighter maverickp
  • emgemg Member

P.S. ... and 99% of them will ignore the free expert advice that they received.

Recent Example:

About six weeks ago, a sibling had their network-attached disk drive fail, so they were running without automatic hourly backups. I advised them to connect a cheap USB hard drive to their computer and run the backups on it until they found another network solution. It is a one click setup that works with any external drive; easy peasy.

About two weeks ago, I burned an entire day providing remote assistance to that sibling so they could rescue their data from a newly failed hard drive on the personal computer. They never connected the USB hard drive to maintain the automatic hourly backups.

I know how much my sibling appreciates the time and effort it took to recover their data. I doubt they understand how much MORE difficult it was or how much MORE of my time and effort were required because they did not heed my earlier advice to attach a backup drive.

Sorry to vent my frustration on you, but there it is.

• @emg said:
    For customers and friends:

• I sent out several email messages over the year warning them about the upcoming date. I sent another warning message this morning.
    • I warned them that Microsoft will not provide future security patches for their Windows 7, Windows Server 2008, and Windows Server 2008 R2 systems after January 2020. Future security vulnerabilities will never get fixes.
    • I warned them that roughly 1/3 of future Microsoft patches will also apply to unfixed security vulnerabilities in their Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 and older systems. Attackers will quickly analyze the patches, develop exploits, and scan the internet for older Windows systems to attack. They are easy targets.
    • I urged them to upgrade to supported versions of Windows and gave them helpful links.

For myself:

• All of my Windows systems (desktops and servers) are virtual.
    • I copied a Windows 7 VM and upgraded it to Windows 10 about 3 years ago.
    • That Windows 10 VM replaced the Windows 7 VM as my primary personal Windows computer in July 2018. I run most applications on other operating systems, but sometimes you have to use Windows.
    • I keep all Windows systems fully updated, at least to the extent that Microsoft supports them.
    • I continue to run unsupported Windows systems (XP, Vista, Windows Server 2003, etc.) on rare occasions as needed. I use them for testing and compatibility. I almost never connect them to the internet, and then only under controlled circumstances. I may use the network to restrict the connection. More often, I use snapshots and revert them after the connection.

Your primary desktop is a VM? Barf, that would annoy the hell out of me, let alone the loss of performance, hardware connectivity, multiple monitors, etc.

• The day has come.
    RIP Windows 7.

• AlienData_JoshAlienData_Josh Member, Provider

So rumor has it. That you can still upgrade for free. If want to go down that route. Go and get the windows downloader tool. and it will let you upgrade with that.

Alien Data: VPS and Colo Based In Texas, Unmetered Bandwidth.
    RPIServers: Dedicated Micro Servers. Unmeterd Bandwidth

• In other news: Linux Mint looks great on desktops.

Thanked by 1bikegremlin

Fastmako (aff) - great VPS for your needs.

• It is vulnerable to use windows 7 nowadays ,because their is no security updates and patches are provided by Microsoft and the last extended version is available till 14 Jan 2020.

• @cloudminister said:
    It is vulnerable to use windows 7 nowadays ,because their is no security updates and patches are provided by Microsoft and the last extended version is available till 14 Jan 2020.

Congrats on your sixth comment

Thanked by 1Electr0man