Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is email encrypted when sending from gmail to yahoo mail?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What from yahoo mail to gmail?

Comments

• Well, it's encrypted in that it's transmitted via TLS/SSL. It's not encrypted in the sense that Gmail and Yahoo can both view the contents of that email.

Thanked by 1greattomeetyou
  • How do one check if an email is transmitted via TLS/SSL if I am using other email providers?

• Check headers.

Thanked by 1greattomeetyou
  • it's encrypted in transfer processing, but not encrypted in rest.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Majority providers do transmit the emails via TSL/SSL, if you need to encrypt the email content use software like OpenPGP

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

While I haven't investigated Yahoo headers to see if they support that, I feel obligated to remind that nothing is ever secure at Yahoo :)

Thanked by 2TimboJones uptime
  • alentoalento Member, Host Rep

jar said: I feel obligated to remind that nothing is ever secure at Yahoo :)

Except MY old account that they refuse to give me access to! sigh

Thanked by 2jar mrTom
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

greattomeetyou said: How do one check if an email is transmitted via TLS/SSL if I am using other email providers?

I believe this is accurate but of course Google and Yahoo have no obligation to encrypt email sent between themselves. They probably do because its the right thing to do, but you're depending on the kindness/competence of strangers.