Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
centos 8 with directadmin
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

centos 8 with directadmin

Hi
My server runs on centos 7 with plesk , I am planning to migrate to centos 8 with directadmin
My questions are:
is directadmin good at security?
Should I stay on centos 7 or migrate to centos 8 ?
Best regards

Comments

  • JordJord Moderator, Provider

    DirectAdmin is prem, we use it and we've had no issues with it.

    We are currently running CentOS 7 and I think it does work with CentOS 8. If not they are beta testing it. But not 100% sure on that one.

    Thanked by 1mustafamw3

    BillingServ - Easy, simple, and hassle-free online invoicing solution. Contact us today.
    BaseServ Certified to ISO/IEC 27001:2013

  • marvelmarvel Member without signature
    edited December 2019

    Having no DirectAdmin or Plesk is always more secure.

    I'd probably wait with CentOS 8 btw, you can use it but it just came out. I would just stick with 7 for now if you need stability and good support

  • WebProjectWebProject Member, Provider

    Plesk more prem than DA, as DA became popular due to cPanel increased prices for their control panel.

    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN-HVM VPS Plans
    Are you looking for best price for self-managed VPS? See WebProVPS website for more details.
  • JordJord Moderator, Provider

    Well Web Pros aka Plesk has just been "sold" so maybe they will up the prices again?

    BillingServ - Easy, simple, and hassle-free online invoicing solution. Contact us today.
    BaseServ Certified to ISO/IEC 27001:2013

  • WebProject said: Plesk more prem than DA, as DA became popular due to cPanel increased prices for their control panel.

    >
    Atleast directadmin offers protection against price increase , also my server provider offers directadmin lifetime license for 69 euro
    who guarantees that plesk won't change prices in the future?

  • JordJord Moderator, Provider

    @mustafamw3 said:

    WebProject said: Plesk more prem than DA, as DA became popular due to cPanel increased prices for their control panel.

    >
    Atleast directadmin offers protection against price increase , also my server provider offers directadmin lifetime license for 69 euro
    who guarantees that plesk won't change prices in the future?

    Well, there are plenty of providers who offer DA for free. There are no guarantees that Plesk won't up their prices. They've just been sold, so I'm guessing someone is gonna want to get their money back at some point.

    Thanked by 1mustafamw3

    BillingServ - Easy, simple, and hassle-free online invoicing solution. Contact us today.
    BaseServ Certified to ISO/IEC 27001:2013

  • MikeAMikeA Member, Provider
    edited December 2019

    @marvel said:
    Having no DirectAdmin or Plesk is always more secure.

    I'd probably wait with CentOS 8 btw, you can use it but it just came out. I would just stick with 7 for now if you need stability and good support

    It's fine, I run a few websites on it across a few servers, including for ExtraVM.

    Edit: Talking about no control panel, I don't know about DirectAdmin for CentOS 8.

    Thanked by 1mustafamw3

    ExtraVM - AMD Ryzen VPS starting @ $3.50
    USA (TX, VA, FL), CA, FR, UK, SGP, AU

  • JordJord Moderator, Provider

    @MikeA is prem...

    BillingServ - Easy, simple, and hassle-free online invoicing solution. Contact us today.
    BaseServ Certified to ISO/IEC 27001:2013

  • WebProjectWebProject Member, Provider
    edited December 2019

    mustafamw3 said: Atleast directadmin offers protection against price increase

    their protection is on sales page only, so if someone decide to update the sales page, your protection will disappear as nothing state about protection against price increase in their terms and condition, with 30 days/month contract like they do anyone can offers protection against price increase as it's for 30 days only and not lifetime.

    My point is that the DA wasn't popular till the cPanel increase the prices, if tomorrow cPanel do reverse on their prices and go back to old style prices, I bet you that everyone jumps back without a single hesitation.

    Thanked by 1mustafamw3
    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN-HVM VPS Plans
    Are you looking for best price for self-managed VPS? See WebProVPS website for more details.
  • I ran DirectAdmin on CentOS 8. It worked fine, no significant issues. But mod_ruid2 is broken.

  • WebProject said: their protection is on sales page only, so if someone decide to update the sales page, your protection will disappear as nothing state about protection against price increase in their terms and condition, with 30 days/month contract like they do anyone can offers protection against price increase as it's for 30 days only and not lifetime.

    My point is that the DA wasn't popular till the cPanel increase the prices, if tomorrow cPanel do reverse on their prices and go back to old style prices, I bet you that everyone jumps back without a single hesitation.

    I agree

  • DennisdeWit said: I ran DirectAdmin on CentOS 8. It worked fine, no significant issues. But mod_ruid2 is broken.

    >
    I am currently running centos 8 , it works without issues for now .

  • @DennisdeWit said:
    I ran DirectAdmin on CentOS 8. It worked fine, no significant issues. But mod_ruid2 is broken.

    Is that a fixable error? Or need to contact DirectAdmin support?

    Linux - RedHat|cPANEL CentOS,Ubuntu|Azure-VM/AWS-Ec2 Administrator,
    Assistance, Analysis and Diagnosis.| Skype: tuxandrew | [email protected]

Sign In or Register to comment.