Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KVM or OVZ7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KVM or OVZ7

edited December 2019 in General

I know this has been discussed before but maybe time for an update. I understand OVZ7 includes KVM but you still have to do some things the OVZ way. Just using KVM natively simplifies things and it is much more widely used. Old justifications for using OVZ are getting harder to make with current hardware and performance and with ploop being the defacto default instead of SIMFS imo.

Also, CE8 is out. Maybe a little early to use it with KVM in production but will probably be ready for that soon. I see OVZ has an RH8 kernel but no official distribution yet and who knows how long before that is available and stable.

Just wondering what people's current thoughs are on this.

Comments

• Ovz7 does NOT include KVM. The two are very different.

• Prefer KVM,

Both CentOS 8 and Debian 10 based on Kernel 4.X,
    OVZ 7 based on Kernel 3.X, not perfect to run the new systems.

However there are Kernel 4.X in beta for OVZ 7 if you wish:
    https://src.openvz.org/projects/OVZ/repos/vzkernel/browse

• edited December 2019

@t0ny0 said:
    Ovz7 does NOT include KVM. The two are very different.

Actually it does. You can run container virtualization or KVM hypervisor.
    https://wiki.openvz.org/Comparison

I believe OVZ 7 also uses libvirt.

• edited December 2019

One other thing I forgot to mention. After years and years of using both, we have found KVM to be extremely stable. OVZ 6 is fairly stable now but not nearly as stable as KVM has been since day one. We still get the occasional unexplained lockup/reboot with OVZ 6 on some busier nodes. That has never happened with KVM. Never!

Maybe OVZ 7 is better?

• For those that need firewall blacklists, KVM with ipset is the hands-down winner. While OVZ7 supports ipset, our testing shows the platform is still hit and miss much like OVZ6 was in the early days.

• KVM for sure. OpenVZ is pretty dead and will never have as good support as KVM has, given there's no plans to merge it into the mainline kernel.

• kvm as the de-facto virtualization for Linux, no need to look other option :neutral:

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

KVM is prem...

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

KVM, why do you even ask?

• If at the same price KVM of course

• KVM or KVM. Tautology.

• Customers prefer kvm
    me too

• edited December 2019

What are you using for control panels with KVM? Virtualizor, Solus or ? Is Cockpit a viable CP? We need to tie it in with WHMCS. Virtualizor already has a decent module for that so that's a plus.

• KVM all the way :-)

• @LosPollosHermanos said:
    What are you using for control panels with KVM? Virtualizor, Solus or ? Is Cockpit a viable CP? We need to tie it in with WHMCS. Virtualizor already has a decent module for that so that's a plus.

Boss,
    Did you try any of them yourself? What is your feedback?

• edited December 2019

@seriesn said:

@LosPollosHermanos said:

Boss,

We use Solus which is fine for OVZ 6 but not so great for KVM imho. Your turn.

@seriesn said:

@LosPollosHermanos said:

Boss,

We use Solus which is fine for OVZ 6 but kind of sucks for KVM imo. Your turn.

What sucks? Define sucking please.

• edited December 2019

@seriesn said:

@LosPollosHermanos said:

@seriesn said:

@LosPollosHermanos said:

Boss,

I can elaborate if you want after you provide some feedback of your own. I was the one asking the question after all. That's generally how this works.

@seriesn said:

@LosPollosHermanos said:

@seriesn said:

@LosPollosHermanos said:

Boss,

I can elaborate if you want after you provide some feedback of your own. I was the one asking the question after all. That's generally how this works.

I mean, I don’t know why you getting so fussy boss. My questions are there so I can assist in solving what were your issues and help you find the right solution.

But if you want a straight response in your style,
    SolusVM - Tested, looks good, works good. If something breaks, they got decent support.

Virtualizor- Works good. Error handling is poor. Feature heavy. If something breaks, their support is okay but getting better.

Cockpit - No clue.

Fleio- Very nice.

OpenNebula - Overkill.

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

Did someone mention OnApp?