Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows Server with VirtIO Drivers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows Server with VirtIO Drivers

Does anyone have some sort of tutorial to make ISO with VirtIO drivers in it?
Tried this tutorial https://www.vultr.com/docs/windows-custom-iso-with-virtio-drivers and having a problem at the time of the installation

Problem
Server 2019 : https://imgur.com/YY5xadB
Server 2012 : https://imgur.com/2zm4sgJ

I am trying to mount and install it on my Hosthatch storage server.
Any help will be appreciated :)

Comments

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited December 2019
  • Yes, I added those using several tutorials but all seems to be failed

2 core and 2 gb ram

• @Sgrocks said:
    Yes, I added those using several tutorials but all seems to be failed

2 core and 2 gb ram

Are you building your Own iso or booting with default windows iso + Virtio iso?

• I got the iso from Microsoft and added the virtio using the tutorial mentioned above
    Then got the error as mentioned

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited December 2019

@Sgrocks said:
    I got the iso from Microsoft and added the virtio using the tutorial mentioned above
    Then got the error as mentioned

Can you not mount 2 iso with them? Or open a ticket?

• Just download any iso modification tool like ultraiso and drop the driver files in there, don’t even bother with slipstreaming.

• @seriesn Can't mount two ISO and Opened the Ticket Beforehand and they don't provide custom support for it, so on my own

@TheOnlyDK I will try with that now, I am currently using Imgburn

• feezioxiiifeezioxiii Member, Host Rep

@Sgrocks said:
    @seriesn Can't mount two ISO and Opened the Ticket Beforehand and they don't provide custom support for it, so on my own

You can mount Windows ISO first -> go to the installation page -> unmount Windows ISO -> mount VirtIO ISO -> Select drivers -> Unmount VirtIO ISO -> Mount Windows ISO back -> proceed installation.

It should work fine!

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • Just add another virtual CDROM and mount your isos.

• @feezioxiii said:

@Sgrocks said:
    @seriesn Can't mount two ISO and Opened the Ticket Beforehand and they don't provide custom support for it, so on my own

You can mount Windows ISO first -> go to the installation page -> unmount Windows ISO -> mount VirtIO ISO -> Select drivers -> Unmount VirtIO ISO -> Mount Windows ISO back -> proceed installation.

Hosthatch doesn’t support two ISOs in any form, including swapping ISO.

@LTniger said:
    Just add another virtual CDROM and mount your isos.

I don’t think that’s an option either for him. He’s trying to install windows, not modifying windows iso when windows is already installed.

• @TheOnlyDK said:

@feezioxiii said:

@Sgrocks said:

@LTniger said:

I don’t think that’s an option either for him. He’s trying to install windows, not modifying windows iso when windows is already installed.

He can modify KVM configuration. If this is possible of course.

• @LTniger said:

@TheOnlyDK said:

@feezioxiii said:

@Sgrocks said:

@LTniger said:

He can modify KVM configuration. If this is possible of course.

That must be done on the host side. Given it's hosthatch, I doubt it's happening.

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited December 2019

From the link, "Use an ISO mastering tool to create your custom slipstream ISO"

But there's no slipstreaming step and the tutorial is wrong. So drivers are not integrated, just available on disc. You'd need to browse and point to the virtio dir to find the driver and then the driver will load and find it, but looking at screenshots, you can't.

Just use ntLite to actually slipstream the drivers. Make sure to integrate into boot image. You can also customize it and add recent updates at same time.

• @TimboJones said:

But there's no slipstreaming step and the tutorial is wrong. So drivers are not integrated, just available on disc. You'd need to browse and point to the virtio dir to find the driver and then the driver will load and find it, but looking at screenshots, you can't.

Just use ntLite to actually slipstream the drivers. Make sure to integrate into boot image. You can also customize it and add recent updates at same time.

I got this little tutorial here https://www.ntlite.com/discussions/#/discussion/170/driver-integration-error-for-virtio-drivers

1) Got my iso from MSDN (just verified the hash too)
    2) unpacked with winrar into a folder: c:\Users\sv\Downloads\ntlite\
    3) started ntlite
    4) add -> image folder : c:\Users\sv\Downloads\en_windows_7_professional_with_sp1_x64_dvd_u_676939
    5) Selected "3. Windows 7 PROFESSIONAL" and then selected "load"
    6) let it load and jump straight to the "drivers" tab.
    7) Add folders and subfolders found drivers.
    8) Navigate and select: c:\Users\sv\Downloads\virtio-win-0.1-94\WIN7\AMD64\
    9) It finds 6 drivers from red hat
    10) Jump to the "apply" tab, and then click start (top left)
    11) After some time i get the error.

Gonna try that and will update if that works.

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited December 2019

@Sgrocks said:

@TimboJones said:

I got this little tutorial here https://www.ntlite.com/discussions/#/discussion/170/driver-integration-error-for-virtio-drivers

1) Got my iso from MSDN (just verified the hash too)
    2) unpacked with winrar into a folder: c:\Users\sv\Downloads\ntlite\
    3) started ntlite
    4) add -> image folder : c:\Users\sv\Downloads\en_windows_7_professional_with_sp1_x64_dvd_u_676939
    5) Selected "3. Windows 7 PROFESSIONAL" and then selected "load"
    6) let it load and jump straight to the "drivers" tab.
    7) Add folders and subfolders found drivers.
    8) Navigate and select: c:\Users\sv\Downloads\virtio-win-0.1-94\WIN7\AMD64\
    9) It finds 6 drivers from red hat
    10) Jump to the "apply" tab, and then click start (top left)
    11) After some time i get the error.

Gonna try that and will update if that works.

Yeah, that's the general idea (plus swapping Win7 with your server version). Change step 10/11 to having it make the ISO at the end of integration, it'll be a check box or something and you give it a name, apply and go have a beverage of choice until it's done. If you still run into problems, I'm back from vacation on Wednesday and can make you an integrated ISO.

Good luck. ntlite is very useful in cutting down on customization time and worth getting used to.

• HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider

What we did is created our own Windows Template with VirtIO drivers preinstalled in it.

First install Windows using ISO and use IDE and Intel/Realtek NIC in KVM/SoluSVM or whichever control panel it is, then install all the drivers in the VPS, then change from IDE to VirtIO and/or change NIC in SolusVM and then reboot that should solve the problem.

Note: did it long ago so might have missed some steps, but that's what i remember

• SgrocksSgrocks Member
    edited December 2019

@seriesn @TheOnlyDK @TimboJones @HostEONS @LTniger

Thank you for all the help guys, after around 10 builds using NTLite (25+ in total :neutral: ) I got the right one and it's working flawlessly :blush:

Thanked by 2seriesn TimboJones
  • @Sgrocks said:

Thank you for all the help guys, after around 10 builds using NTLite I got the right one and it's working flawlessly :blush:

Can you share it with me so I can use it too?
    Because I couldn't do it also

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

I'm now trying this out, will see if it works.

• @MohamadSY said:

@Sgrocks said:

Thank you for all the help guys, after around 10 builds using NTLite I got the right one and it's working flawlessly :blush:

Check PM

• @Jord said:

I think I will make a tutorial for this one

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

@Sgrocks said:

@Jord said:

I think I will make a tutorial for this one

Nice, be a good idea for other people to be able to follow it. I am now uploading the modified files and testing it out.

• acidpukeacidpuke Member
    edited December 2019

This tutorial works great from Vultr...it should work on any KVM VPS setup

https://www.vultr.com/docs/how-to-create-a-windows-custom-iso-with-updates-using-ntlite

I have a Win2012R2 and Win7Pro ISO ready to go with latest stable VirtIO drivers included ....if anybody needs it let me know I'll PM you the link from my FTP

• @Sgrocks said:

@MohamadSY said:

@Sgrocks said:

Check PM

Thank you, Bro

• @acidpuke said:
    This tutorial works great from Vultr...it should work on any KVM VPS setup

https://www.vultr.com/docs/how-to-create-a-windows-custom-iso-with-updates-using-ntlite

I have a Win2012R2 and Win7Pro ISO ready to go with latest stable VirtIO drivers included ....if anybody needs it to let me know I'll PM you the link from my FTP

The result can be achieved directly loading via OS too
    but thanks for it, didn't found it before so figure all by myself :wink:

• @feezioxiii said:

@Sgrocks said:

It should work fine!

It really works!

• I use very simple method in this case

1. Download both iso i.e Windows as well latest VirtIO drivers
    2. Extract VirtIO drivers iso
    3. Open Windows ISO using PowerISO
    4. Add VirtIO folder to this

And now you have 2-in-1 iso which you can use with single iso mount and select VirtIO drivers during install