Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Backblaze B2: After Many Months, I Have Zero Complaints
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Backblaze B2: After Many Months, I Have Zero Complaints

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

When Crashplan inevitably stopped offering cheap plans, I started to look around for solutions. I eventually went with B2 with rclone driving the sync.

I've been quite happy with it. Using rclone is very easy and I presently have around 3TB sitting on B2. My home internet is only 10Mbit/sec up which really limits how fast things get synced, but fortunately my daily change rate is not high.

rclone itself can be cranky but b2 itself has been very reliable. And the pricing is fantastic. I've even compared it to Amazon Glacier for long-term storage and B2 is still much cheaper, particularly if you ever need a restore, where Amazon's $.09 per GB is a killer. Also much simpler, and refreshingly the most common operations (such as uploading a file) are free from an cost-per-operation perspective...mostly you're just paying the core storage cost.

Not wild about the "one bucket namespace" where you're competing with all other users for a bucket name, but it's easy enough to use some kind of "unique prefix" or UUID kind of scheme.

My home IT is driven around Rundeck driving various backups to my Synology locally and then to B2 via rclone (Synology can also natively talk to B2 but I never got around to setting it up).

Overall B2 has been good for me :-)

Thanked by 4verjin Trav uptime pepa65

Comments

• I think its bit pricey as compare to wasabi.com/cloud-storage-pricing or sync.com which provides the same resources.

Thanked by 1pepa65
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

I've been using it for many months now, store like 500GB of data from cPanel and some unrelated database backups. Never costs more than $3.

Thanked by 2pepa65 TimboJones
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

verjin said: wasabi.com/cloud-storage-pricing

I think it depends on the use...for me, I backup a ton and very rarely restore.

• Wasabi: $.0059/GB/mo
    • B2: $.005/GB/mo

But if I did a large restore, there would be $.01/GB download. The API requests in my case are so small they're not worth calculating.

I also feel good with B2 because they're very open about their architecture, design, and company. There are tons of other players out there but I get nervous with small players.

Thanked by 2verjin pepa65
  • I was interested back in the day - but no PayPal, no thank you

• Wasabi used to be cheaper than B2. I have an old account where they still respect the original cheaper price. But I think they are trying to compete against other S3-compatible managed cloud storage services rather than B2.

Thanked by 1pepa65
  • I'm using Acronis, could the solution memtioned be used for home pc backup, like windows C://?

• As I can see from above, B2 is $5/gb/month.. Why not get a storage VPS? I am using one with some discount coupon for about $5/month... I recently saw some deal at $7/month for 3TB..so my question is, why not just use a storage VPS?

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@job0121 said:
    As I can see from above, B2 is $5/gb/month.. Why not get a storage VPS? I am using one with some discount coupon for about $5/month... I recently saw some deal at $7/month for 3TB..so my question is, why not just use a storage VPS?

I think you got your decimals wrong.

Thanked by 1job0121
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire
    edited December 2019

@job0121 said:
    As I can see from above, B2 is $5/gb/month.. Why not get a storage VPS? I am using one with some discount coupon for about $5/month... I recently saw some deal at $7/month for 3TB..so my question is, why not just use a storage VPS?

B2 is very reliable, they claim to provides "11 Nines Data Durability". Also those SLA and stuff basically make it production ready (less likely to cause data loss, even during major events). It is also a big cooperation so you know your data is in a good hand.

In addition, you don't have to care about the infrastructure at all, regardless of whether you store only 10GB or even 10PB, they will take care of them for you.

• Sorry I am paying ...$5/TB/Month...typo

BF sale I saw was $7/3TB/Month

These VPS deals so not charge extra for restoring data (as long as they are within transfer limit which is usually much more than 3TB)

To use as a secondary backup, just like the OP mentioned, with existence of local backup (Synology), I don't think high level of service is really required... Just my opinion :)

Thanked by 1pepa65
  • BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

Same here. I have my laptop & my desktop signed up for 2 years unlimited backup so that if I require any file remotely, I can get it immediately by signing in Backblaze and downloading it.
    And I use B2 to upload family photos, videos, etc. and the charges are next to nothing (I'm not downloading those photos/videos though, just storing them)

Backblaze is really good.

Thanked by 2verjin pepa65
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire
    edited December 2019

@job0121 said:
    Sorry I am paying ...$5/TB/Month...typo

BF sale I saw was $7/3TB/Month

These VPS deals so not charge extra for restoring data (as long as they are within transfer limit which is usually much more than 3TB)

To use as a secondary backup, just like the OP mentioned, with existence of local backup (Synology), I don't think high level of service is really required... Just my opinion :)

You asked why, so we answered your question, yet you still tell us it is "just my opinion". Well, it is completely up to you on how you want to handle your data.

B2 is also relatively / arguably more secure* because you don't have to manage all these yourself with VPS, it just works. It also comes with some APIs that abstract out the low level stuff. Things are more expensive for a reason.

• Yes, depends on the level of geekness as well.. :)

Thanked by 1verjin
  • ulayerulayer Member, Host Rep

I like B2 a lot, I've had their internals explained a bit to me and they run Java servlets which are kind of gross. Regardless, their storage is reliable and cheap. Considering syncing our borg backup repositories to them.

Amazon S3 Glacier Deep Archive is pretty awesome if you need to store something long term and only retrieve it in an absolute emergency where other backups are dead.

Thanked by 2pepa65 Oseri
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

job0121 said: s I can see from above, B2 is $5/gb/month.. Why not get a storage VPS?

$5/TB/mo, but regardless your point is valid.

BlaZe said: Same here. I have my laptop & my desktop signed up for 2 years unlimited backup so that if I require any file remotely, I can get it immediately by signing in Backblaze and downloading it.

Yeah, their desktop backup is nice, but they don't support Linux...my only complaint. I understand why (suddenly ever sysadmin in the world would point their servers at them for $5/mo).

BlaZe said: And I use B2 to upload family photos, videos, etc. and the charges are next to nothing (I'm not downloading those photos/videos though, just storing them)

I keep meaning to move my photos over to Amazon since I'm a Prime member.

I also have some spare Dropbox space (need more than the free, but don't need all 2TB) and since rclone supports them as well, I might add some things to DB.

I would killer for faster uplink :-(

Thanked by 1BlaZe
  • I've been happy with Backblaze B2 for automated backups of cPanel accounts (using JetBackup).

It is used as a last resort copy, so the costs are only for upload and storage - dirt cheap so far.

No support for B2 with DirectAdmin yet, unfortunately. I'd rather have it a good, reliable implementation, than a hasty one, though.

Thanked by 1_Nic
  • raindog308 said: But if I did a large restore, there would be $.01/GB download

You can put a subdomain in Cloudflare CNAME to B2 endpoint to avoid this cost.

• I just got a office 365 home subscription and I have 5x 1TB storage with one drives. I don’t have a lot of files to sync, cant even fill up one of them. But that’s also an option for cheap storage as long as you can split them into 5 accounts. Plus you get free office included.

• @TheOnlyDK said:
    I just got a office 365 home subscription and I have 5x 1TB storage with one drives. I don’t have a lot of files to sync, cant even fill up one of them. But that’s also an option for cheap storage as long as you can split them into 5 accounts. Plus you get free office included.

I've had nothing but crap speeds with Onedrive, so not using the various TB's available to me. I should probably check again if still horrendous.

Anyone getting 100Mbps+ speeds with Onedrive?

• @cnbeining said:

raindog308 said: But if I did a large restore, there would be $.01/GB download

Sweet! Sounds like a very low effort work around. Is this loophole going to get closed eventually, or perfectly normal scenario?

• @TimboJones said:

@TheOnlyDK said:
    I just got a office 365 home subscription and I have 5x 1TB storage with one drives. I don’t have a lot of files to sync, cant even fill up one of them. But that’s also an option for cheap storage as long as you can split them into 5 accounts. Plus you get free office included.

I've had nothing but crap speeds with Onedrive, so not using the various TB's available to me. I should probably check again if still horrendous.

The web interface is really bad, I get slow upload speeds and often big files would not upload correct (corrupted files). But the app on windows seems fine, I max my 170 mbps connection and never had corrupted files with the app.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • @TimboJones said:

@cnbeining said:

Sweet! Sounds like a very low effort work around. Is this loophole going to get closed eventually, or perfectly normal scenario?

Normal scenario. This is possible due to cloudflare bandwidth alliance with B2

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • @TimboJones said:

@cnbeining said:

https://help.backblaze.com/hc/en-us/articles/360010017893-How-to-allow-Cloudflare-to-fetch-content-from-a-Backblaze-B2-private-bucket

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • I just push everything to onedrive tbh. A 5 user O365 sub comes with 5TB

• TimboJones said:

No idea...it runs in the background so never bothered checking. Uploads to onedrive/gdrive/etc tend to be slow yes - it's artificially throttled to prevent a couple of power users clogging the tubes with their terabytes