Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nginx Moscow Office Raided owing to Copyright Claims
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Nginx Moscow Office Raided owing to Copyright Claims

Comments

• Cooyright?

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor
    edited December 2019

Cykaright

Edit2: Wasn't this exact thing an plot line in Silicon Valley?

Thanked by 2uptime Inglar
  • fpmagicfpmagic Member
    edited December 2019

These things are always messy. In the last few employment gigs I've had the clauses around IP ownership are particularly harsh and at least some form permission or at least declaration was expected with regards to having the latest hot shitshow OSS on github for example. My repos were largely abandoned at that point so I didnt suffer but I been particularly careful to cross the ts and dot is if I went for a project

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I'm sure the fact that NGINX, Inc. was acquired by a US company had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with this action.

• i coded nginx in 2003, back then i called it tglinx, now i see this asshole says he did?

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • serveria_comserveria_com Member, Host Rep

This is laughable! According to Rambler the code belongs to them because that Nginx guy worked for them at the time he coded nginx... WTF? So if I code a webserver at home but work at mcdonalds my code belongs to them? MMmmkey...

• @serveria_com said:
    This is laughable! According to Rambler the code belongs to them because that Nginx guy worked for them at the time he coded nginx... WTF? So if I code a webserver at home but work at mcdonalds my code belongs to them? MMmmkey...

This is how it works though. You work for a company, while making your own software - they can claim its their property, as you can not prove that you didn't code it while at work. Depends on employment contracts signed as well.

• @t0ny0 said:

@serveria_com said:

This is how it works though. You work for a company, while making your own software - they can claim its their property, as you can not prove that you didn't code it while at work. Depends on employment contracts signed as well.

Yes,if they can prove it is written in the time of work. It's a wack-a-mole situation where courts are expensive and process is long,usually completes with settlements.

Thanked by 1kkrajk

@t0ny0 said:

@serveria_com said:

I guess it's them who need to prove he was coding it at work... but I agree that it depends on employment contract mostly...

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

What I see here is a story that happens quite frequently although mostly not in Russia but rather in the USA or Europe. And what I see is that Russia does respect copyright - which btw is something the USA and others often demanded.

But of course Russia being the wests favourite enemy Russia doing what it has been demanded to do and what is international standard must be scolded. If the same thing happens three times a day in the USA it's hardly even noticed.

And of course they just had to mention the "presidential candidate" Navalny ...
    I'm missing though some statement to the effect that in fact Putin himself was behind it.

Thanked by 2bikegremlin mikei
  • Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2019

I have mail on rambler.ru since 2009. Rambler is doing very poorly.

There are two options:
      - Everything is bad in Rambler and you need any money.
      - They want to take themselves back by force.

Although this is strange, they have many sites ( https://ramblergroup.com/assets/media/passion ) that they own and ask for less than 1 million dollars, it’s silly like that.

Thanked by 2MikePT Creativity
  • The end is nigh, time to switch to another-other web server software ...

• nemnem Member, Host Rep

@jsg what's the outcome if Rambler wins? F5 owns NGINX now, at worst they can't do business in Russia. I'm not aware of any bilateral copyright agreements between US and Russia.

@nem said:
    @jsg what's the outcome if Rambler wins? F5 owns NGINX now, at worst they can't do business in Russia. I'm not aware of any bilateral copyright agreements between US and Russia.

Exactly, and I predict no such agreement will be signed in the nearest future. Especially now when we're on the brink of Cold War 2.

@serveria_com said:

@nem said:

Exactly, and I predict no such agreement will be signed in the nearest future. Especially now when we're on the brink of Cold War 2.

Not even Arthur C. Clarke could have predicted this.

Thanked by 1vimalware

@nem said:

None that I'd care about anyway as nginx is open source software - and that's what I care about, not the companies. I also don't care whether Rambler or F5 wins the battle.

The question whether Russia has a bilateral copyright agreement with the USA isn't of high relevance IMO and anyway the USA is trying to push everyone to respect copyright. So, if the Russian authorities are asked to investigate alleged copyright infringement and they do that it's just the right thing to do, both for the USA and independent of it (after all Russia is a sovereign state).

@serveria_com said:

Not so sure about such an agreement being signed soon. And it's not that important anyway.
    As for cold war, from what I know Russia is doing quite fine and need not be afraid of any attacks after they've demonstrated for years that not only do they survive but they even manage to do well.

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
    edited December 2019

None that I'd care about anyway as nginx is open source software - and that's what I care about, not the companies. I also don't care whether Rambler or F5 wins the battle.

You can certainly squeeze a product out of market through legal maneuvers. An inability to compete is still a failure to compete and forces a business out of competition.

Edit: legally too the same talent can be barred from further contributions so long as they're within an infringing jurisdiction.

USA is trying to push everyone to respect copyright.

EU is just as guilty with regulation. US changed patent laws from first to invent to first to file in concordance with broader market compliance in 2013. A prototype is much harder work than an idea.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

jsg said: And what I see is that Russia does respect copyright

Yeah, and human rights and borders and they're a democracy and...yeah. Quite a difference between what they say and what they do.

Meanwhile, all my favorite trackers seem to hosted in Russia :-)

jsg said: The question whether Russia has a bilateral copyright agreement with the USA isn't of high relevance IMO and anyway the USA is trying to push everyone to respect copyright.

Bilateral what? I thought everything was Berne Convention and international law, not country-v-country.

Thanked by 2MasonR TimboJones
  • HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

@raindog308 said:
    I'm sure the fact that NGINX, Inc. was acquired by a US company had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with this action.

This gif is gold

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

@MasonR said:
    Cykaright

Edit2: Wasn't this exact thing an plot line in Silicon Valley?

LOL almost except the "Russia" in Silicon Valley would've been Gavin/Hooli

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • Right time for Tengine to rise.

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited December 2019

Guis, this is meant to encourage the next generation of Russian internet entrepreneurs to incorporate in mother Russia Koff EU.

• Good to see Russia hasn't changed their policy of shaking down everyone making money in their borders since Putin was doing it to Bill Browder in the 90s

Thanked by 2vimalware Master_Bo
  • Next week: 'The Elves leave Middle-Earth'

@raindog308 said:

jsg said: And what I see is that Russia does respect copyright

Yeah, and human rights and borders and they're a democracy and...yeah. Quite a difference between what they say and what they do.

Feel free to prove what you implicate. And better don't rely on your media for proof. All the idiots who asserted that Russia sent their military into Ukraine still have not provided any proof. The sole exception was Crimea but there both the official referendum as well as a poll done by Carnegie, which is certainly not pro-Russia, showed that the overwhelming majority of the Crimeans was happy about becoming a part of Russia again.

Btw, in fact this discussion is based on Russia respecting copyright. Do they always respect it? Me not know but then, does any country always respect legal norms?

Btw, I'm not a Russia or Putin fan in particular but the frequent and automatic it seems bashing of Russia p_sses me off. We Europeans and North Americans have damn enough cleaning to do in our own houses.

Thanked by 3Master_Bo mikei raynor
  • @Hassan said:

@raindog308 said:

This gif is gold

Public appearances on state TV doing shit like this is propaganda to make Putin seem funny or charming or harmless and less like the mob-boss thug that he is.

That's why these gifs exist, so we think of Putin as "that guy who rides horses shirtless" instead of "that guy from the FSB who orchestrated bombings of his country's civilians to frame Checens and rise to power"

Thanked by 2TimboJones Hassan

@texteditor

You as someone who loves the law and democracy of course do have proof for your accusations, right? Kindly provide it.

• @jsg said:
    Btw, I'm not a Russia or Putin fan in particular but the frequent and automatic it seems bashing of Russia p_sses me off. We Europeans and North Americans have damn enough cleaning to do in our own houses.

Then why are you parroting Putin's nonsense about Crimea?

(Also interesting, this only happened after state-owned Sberbank bought into Rambler, and Sberbank also has been alleged to be part of the financial backing of the pro-Russian groups in Crimea)

@texteditor said:
    Then why are you parroting Putin's nonsense about Crimea?

(Also interesting, this only happened after state-owned Sberbank bought into Rambler, and Sberbank also has been alleged to be part of the financial backing of the pro-Russian groups in Crimea)

Uhm, sorry but I'm talking about facts. But feel free to provide proof for your allegations.

As for Rambler and Sberbank I don't know because I don't care enough. To me nginx means the open source software and that's what I'm interested in, not in corporate stuff.

As for Putin most Russians seem to be happy with him. After all that's the basis of democracy and I know of no western leader who comes even close to Putin (in terms of voting at elections).

Thanked by 1raynor
  • @serveria_com said:

If you came out with a successful burger company some years later, yes, wouldn't surprise me.

If you're hired to generate intellectual property (music, media content, software, etc) and your invention is related intellectual property, the case is a lot easier to make than making an invention not related to the business (e.g. inventing a new type of glue while working at McDonald's, quality jokes aside) or your position was simply a server and you were not tasked with creating anything of value other than providing service from start to finish of shift.

Being a sysadmin while making hosting software is going to need explanation in laymen terms because lay people might not know the differences and lawyers will spin.