Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hosting for 1250 websites/wordpress sites
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hosting for 1250 websites/wordpress sites

I will take over a web agency and i need to host 1250 sites, what would you guys advice? 1 big dedicated server? Or something else? They use now just a VPS but i want to give the customers more quality and not oversold servers.

And what kind of panel?

Comments

• SH_DreamSH_Dream Member, Host Rep

As panel maybe keyhelp?
    And I would say multiple VPS that you don't go completely offline if your node goes for holiday.

• HostMediaHostMedia Member, Patron Provider

I would say a VPS or dedicated server recommendation depends on the current usage - as some larger VPS servers will easily handle a lot of sites etc. Most of the time the biggest improvement can be going from a SATA based server to a pure SSD server :wink:

For the control panel, do the customers have a control panel already that they use? If so I would say might want to consider the same unless it's an old and unsupported CP but would recommend DirectAdmin (cPanel could get costly depending on your budget)

• serveria_comserveria_com Member, Host Rep

You need to check what kind of websites are hosted there. Almost any modern VPS can handle 1250 single page blogs for example.

• MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2019

I wouldn't recommend a VPS to host 1250 sites, unless the VPS offers key advantages over a dedicated server.

If those sites are typical websites, a dedicated server with a recent Xeon CPU with 8 cores 16 threads, 32 GB RAM, SwRAID1 2x1TB SSD should easily handle them. However, if they are resource hungry, it would depend on the usage.

Thanked by 1mustafamw3
  • XiNiXXiNiX Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2019

If you need reliability, go for Cloud. A decent dedicated will be much cheaper though.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • Get 3-4 Cloud Servers (i.e. from a reputable/high available provider) that offers something with DirectAdmin, plesk or cPanel. If you need any help configuring let me know.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • What are the usage stats on the sites? For peace of mind, just spreading them out over multiple reseller accounts might be the simpler option.

• mustafamw3mustafamw3 Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2019

In the Vps the cpu shared with others, the host provider may suspend your vps if you abuse cpu usage. Buy dedicated server, everything is dedicated for you. it's the best option. You can find cheap dedicated server from 60 - 80 euro / month for low traffic sites

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

rensva said: They use now just a VPS but i want to give the customers more quality and not oversold servers.

What is the current VPS's load looking like, how much storage do you need?

rensva said: And what kind of panel?

Choose one you are comfortable managing, is there a current panel in place?

• Since they don't seem to see much traffic get a raspberry pi and host them at home.

Thanked by 2mrTom yoursunny
  • For some seconds I feel like at WHT... :shrug:

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

AC_Fan said: What are the usage stats on the sites?

Clouvider said: What is the current VPS's load looking like, how much storage do you need?

Clouvider said: Choose one you are comfortable managing, is there a current panel in place?

These all seem like really important questions versus just how many sites.

1250 sites with 1 hit per day: host it on shared hosting.

1250 sites with 1 million uniques per hour: to the cloud!

Thanked by 1dragon1993
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

In majority cases the cloud is fake imitation of VPS services!

If your websites are very popular and you do get millions visitors so a several dedicated server will required, if it’s just one popular website and the rest just one hit per month, so separate these website and host on separate machines.

• Large wordpress websites often occupy unusually high CPUs, you need to pay attention to this

• 125 cloud VPS with backup, runcloud or gridpane, 1k USD/month
    How much do you charge customer per site?